Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
nico5

Re: Mercedes W11

subcritical71 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 11:01
Holm86 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 10:09
according to that logic, it should't be legal to turn the steering wheel either, if the wheel is part of the suspension, and the suspension is only allowed to change under load
I was thinking the same, but there must be another rule which allows steering (obvious as it may be) which may also allow the DAS to be legal.

Just a few thoughts,
Section 10.1.2 is applicable to the sprung suspension, which the wheel is not part of

1.13 Sprung suspension :
The means whereby all complete wheels are suspended from the unit comprising the survival cell/power unit/gearbox by a spring medium.

And I don’t interpret 10.2 as being applicable to the steering system because 1) it would not allow steering, 2) depending on how they are affecting the change in toe, there may be no movement of a suspension member. My guess is they are moving the steering linkages to do this and that is not part of the suspension.

Now, could the stewards deem it a driver aid or moveable aero... who knows!
Pushrod must be affected since it's not placed at the very center of the wheel hub

Holm86

subcritical71 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 11:01
Holm86 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 10:09
according to that logic, it should't be legal to turn the steering wheel either, if the wheel is part of the suspension, and the suspension is only allowed to change under load
I was thinking the same, but there must be another rule which allows steering (obvious as it may be) which may also allow the DAS to be legal.

Just a few thoughts,
Section 10.1.2 is applicable to the sprung suspension, which the wheel is not part of

1.13 Sprung suspension :
The means whereby all complete wheels are suspended from the unit comprising the survival cell/power unit/gearbox by a spring medium.

And I don’t interpret 10.2 as being applicable to the steering system because 1) it would not allow steering, 2) depending on how they are affecting the change in toe, there may be no movement of a suspension member. My guess is they are moving the steering linkages to do this and that is not part of the suspension.

Now, could the stewards deem it a driver aid or moveable aero... who knows!
This is the section of the regulations that descibe steering
10.4 Steering :
10.4.1 Any steering system which permits the re-alignment of more than two wheels is not
permitted.
10.4.2 Power assisted steering systems may not be electronically controlled or electrically powered.
No such system may carry out any function other than reduce the physical effort required to
steer the car.
10.4.3 No part of the steering wheel or column, nor any part fitted to them, may be closer to the
driver than a plane formed by the entire rear edge of the steering wheel rim. All parts fixed to
the steering wheel must be fitted in such a way as to minimise the risk of injury in the event of
a driver’s head making contact with any part of the wheel assembly.
10.4.4 The steering wheel, steering column and steering rack assembly must pass an impact test,
details of the test procedure may be found in Article 16.5.
To me 10.4.1 does not describe that the re-alignment of the wheels during steering has to be in the same direction, only that a maximum of two wheels can be realigned. Which is what happens with DAS

subcritical71

nico5 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 11:05
Pushrod must be affected since it's not placed at the very center of the wheel hub
I’m much better at interpreting rules (ie. Contracts) then designing suspension parts but if the pushrod is on the axis of rotation of the steering system wouldn’t that prevent its movement? And if not, then I’m back to steering wouldn’t be allowed.

I really think this needs to be seen as a steering system vs a suspension system. It’s using manual driver control of the steering wheel to affect the change. Instead of re-alignment of the wheels in the traditional sense they’ve added another dimension.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

bidong wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 09:32
Can someone tell me how the DAS system won't be banned considering that these are in the 2020 Technical Regulations?

1.6 Complete wheel : Wheel and inflated tyre. The complete wheel is considered part of the suspension system.

10.1.2 Any suspension system fitted to the front wheels must be so arranged that its responseresults only from changes in load applied to the front wheels.

10.2.2 Any powered device which is capable of altering the configuration or affecting the performance of any part of any suspension system is forbidden.

10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion.

I'm all for innovation but the DAS system doesn't adhere to 1.6 and 10.2.3 in full concept. Regarding 10.1.2 and 10.2.2 you can find ways to spin it but for the first and last articles... it's a straight up violation.
Why is power steering allowed then if 10.2.2 applies to the steering system?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

CriXus
CriXus

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 11:17
Because power steering does not alter the configuration or affect the performance of any part of any suspension system.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

MtthsMlw

This nicely shows how much space they have opened up in moving the lower wishbone higher and backwards.

via @NicolasF1i
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 21 Feb 2020, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

CriXus wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 11:20
Just_a_fan wrote:
Because power steering does not alter the configuration or affect the performance of any part of any suspension system.
Yes it does. It alters the toe in/out of the front wheels.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Holm86

CriXus wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 11:20
Just_a_fan wrote:
Power steering helps to make it easier to toe one wheel out, while toeing the other one in, which is bacically what steering is.

izzy
izzy

MtthsMlw wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 11:23
This nicely shows how much space they have opened up in moving the lower wishbone higher and backwards.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERSbmtqWoAA ... name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERSbmtEWsAA ... name=large
via @NicolasF1i
Thanks. It's so hard to try and adjust for the different camera heights. But the engine cover outlets are a lot higher too

subcritical71

The change in toe is essentially done at every corner of every race, it’s just in the past that change in toe has been in the same direction. This is slightly different Interpretation in that it’s opposing directions, but the movements individually have been present in all steering systems to date and legality never questioned.

jjn9128

Not sure if this has been posted on here yet

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Holm86

What if the system was passive?

What if, instead of the driver pulling the steering colum back and forward, a sort of cam lobe could pull the rack back and forth when the steering wheel is turned?

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

aleks_ader

Holm86 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 11:48
What if the system was passive?

What if, instead of the driver pulling the steering colum back and forward, a sort of cam lobe could pull the rack back and forth when the steering wheel is turned?
Yeah also good point. I think that would be legal. If trackrod is part of suspention assembly then would be illegal. Otherwise should be ok. I think.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Bill
Bill

The key word is adjustment.does pulling back and fourth the steering column adjustment or normal procedure of steering