[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

Congratulations Ferrari fans! I think LEC-SAI are a superb combination of youth, speed and experience. One of Ferrari's best driver combinations in many years, in my book (probably since Alonso-Massa). Hope they get along.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

GPR-A wrote:
14 May 2020, 13:01
I like how people have already made up their mind that "Carlos Sainz is designated No. 2" as if they have already seen the contract. Life never stops amazing me.
Leclerc receiving a 5 year extension to his contract must make him the world's most bankable number 2 then. Better even than Barrichello.

GPR-A

Fulcrum wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:38
GPR-A wrote:
I like how people have already made up their mind that "Carlos Sainz is designated No. 2" as if they have already seen the contract. Life never stops amazing me.
Leclerc receiving a 5 year extension to his contract must make him the world's most bankable number 2 then. Better even than Barrichello.
I guess so. A guy who won a WDC got fired due his lack of performance in the next 2 years. This is Ferrari. The guy who was brought in as No.1 guaranteed, couldn't win a title and they have dumped him now. The guy who they hired last year, having declared No.2 is suddenly their No.1. Who is to say he is not the new Kimi? Contracts are just a bunch of papers.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19696&p=537631#p537631

FrukostScones

Macklaren wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:01
Congratulations Ferrari fans! I think LEC-SAI are a superb combination of youth, speed and experience. One of Ferrari's best driver combinations in many years, in my book (probably since Alonso-Massa). Hope they get along.
it could be a can of worms I think. they can reap what they sow.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Ferrari went on conservative mode. I think they know their car. Until rule change they cannot win so why waste money on top driver in this crisis period.

I am really worried about the two young drivers. If ferrari cannot win within next 3 years, Lecrec, Sainz and even Binotto will have huge pressure on them.

Kimi->Alonso->Vettel Next who?

falonso81

This makes me wonder how things would have turned out, if Jules Bianchi was still alive...

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Ferrari would only benefit to have a driver like Vettel in the transition period before the big rule change. It would help the team. In my mind the team seems a bit lost. I think Mclaren withe the addition of Seidl, Keys and Mercedes engine will prove a strong player in the post 2021 era...they seem to have a certain direction. What is Ferrari's direction? Ok they got back Simone Resta from Alfa Romeo...Their problem was not Vettel...and the fact they could not replace him with someone of the same calibre shows maybe the team lost its shining...Ok they will save some money but they will lose input and experience...maybe Vettel asked too much. I have been supporting Ferrari pro M Schumacher years...and since Hamilton was not available it had to be a Vettel or an Alonso in that seat...I am a Leclerc fan as well especially after the Monaco Grand Prix where he was the only one overtaking people and attacking...but is he there yet? it's like Ferrari throwing a towel for the 2020 and 2021 season. and will it be 2022 with the new rules or are they going to be postponed even more?
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Sevach
Sevach

selvam_e2002 wrote:
14 May 2020, 18:10
Ferrari went on conservative mode. I think they know their car. Until rule change they cannot win so why waste money on top driver in this crisis period.

I am really worried about the two young drivers. If ferrari cannot win within next 3 years, Lecrec, Sainz and even Binotto will have huge pressure on them.

Kimi->Alonso->Vettel Next who?
Rule change is still on for 22 btw, FIA said no further delays.
So this "next 3 years" line of thought sounds really wrong.

ringo

214270 wrote:
14 May 2020, 12:28
Way too much smoke being blown about SAI like he’s something special; I mean he couldn’t even beat HULK. The question though is, is he being brought in to be a No.2 - RAI/BAR style? I think in that role the pairing can succeed.

This all depends on LEC being an elite talent, of which I’m yet to be convinced myself; the last season’s second half was below par imo
Hulk's problem is that he isn't very inteligent. He cannot manage a race distance like a Perez or Sainz, also he doesn't seem to play leadership roles well. Sainz is a better quality driver than Hulk. Hulk i think has raw speed over a lap, but Sainz is more efficient, and will get the most out of his machinery. At the moment Ferrari aren't looking for the fastest driver. They have Charles. There looked for what they have been missing since Massa left; a consistent and strong second driver who can win when the main driver isn't and who can run the car to its potential. I feel Sainz was the best selection. There is nothing to suggest Hulk will do a better job. The only other drivers who i think would compare are Bottas and Perez. Ricciardo will be harder to manager, also his loyalty is questionable as he feels he needs to be champion right now. Sainz is humble enough to wait his turn.

Secondly, Ferrari can focus on developing their car; having less money to pay out and one less diva to manage in the team (Vettel). This is why Alonso was rejected; he is just too much. Binotto can now focus on the engineering having two boy drivers to manage basically. They wont give him too much talking and they will obey instructions.
I see sainzs getting on the podium within the first 4 races. He really is a safe pair of hands to operate a ferrari. Much better driver than Vettel if you take into account not spinning the car or crashing.
For Sure!!

dans79

ringo wrote:
14 May 2020, 20:28
Secondly, Ferrari can focus on developing their car; having less money to pay out and one less diva to manage in the team (Vettel). This is why Alonso was rejected; he is just too much. Binotto can now focus on the engineering having two boy drivers to manage basically. They wont give him too much talking and they will obey instructions.
I see sainzs getting on the podium within the first 4 races. He really is a safe pair of hands to operate a ferrari. Much better driver than Vettel if you take into account not spinning the car or crashing.
I think its far more likely that Vettel is the scapecoat for the team not winning, just like many other top drivers before him!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

So it's official now. Meh!

Looking back over the years at other Ferrari drivers, I would say this reminds me of Eddie Irvine.

Just a total nothing acquisition.

Scorpaguy

Big Red strategy calls....sheeeesh!

I swear this team could form a single car spec series and end up finishing 4th in the constructor"s championship.

e30ernest
e30ernest

I wouldn't write-off this driver line-up yet. Leclerc has proven he has the raw speed, and Sainz looks to be a very consistent race driver. I think this line-up has potential. Sure there are no former WCs in the line-up, and yes this is a very young line-up compared to what Ferrari used to run. However, other teams have found success in young lineups before (Red Bull and McLaren) . It bucks Ferrari tradition yes, but maybe this will be what this team needs to return to form now.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

mika vs michael wrote:
14 May 2020, 19:22
Ferrari would only benefit to have a driver like Vettel in the transition period before the big rule change. It would help the team. In my mind the team seems a bit lost. I think Mclaren withe the addition of Seidl, Keys and Mercedes engine will prove a strong player in the post 2021 era...they seem to have a certain direction. What is Ferrari's direction? Ok they got back Simone Resta from Alfa Romeo...Their problem was not Vettel...and the fact they could not replace him with someone of the same calibre shows maybe the team lost its shining...Ok they will save some money but they will lose input and experience...maybe Vettel asked too much. I have been supporting Ferrari pro M Schumacher years...and since Hamilton was not available it had to be a Vettel or an Alonso in that seat...I am a Leclerc fan as well especially after the Monaco Grand Prix where he was the only one overtaking people and attacking...but is he there yet? it's like Ferrari throwing a towel for the 2020 and 2021 season. and will it be 2022 with the new rules or are they going to be postponed even more?
The problem was Vettel, he was clearly the biggest hindrance to the team's progress and success. Bahrain, Canada, Silverstone, Monza, Russia, Austin, Brazil. How many mistakes does he need to make before people realize that he is mistake prone?

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

GPR-A wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:44
Fulcrum wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:38
GPR-A wrote:
I guess so. A guy who won a WDC got fired due his lack of performance in the next 2 years. This is Ferrari. The guy who was brought in as No.1 guaranteed, couldn't win a title and they have dumped him now. The guy who they hired last year, having declared No.2 is suddenly their No.1. Who is to say he is not the new Kimi? Contracts are just a bunch of papers.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19696&p=537631#p537631
Agreed, this is Ferrari, there is precedent.

That said, signing a 5 year extension with the person who pushed out the de-facto #1, that individual being 22 years old, a Ferrari insider, and with a superior record to Sainz strongly suggest, if nothing else, Ferrari's expectations.

As you point out, Ferrari have been wrong (frequently). Popular opinion can also be wrong. For the sake of our entertainment, it would be great if Sainz proves to be competitive with Leclerc.

Realistically, I don't see that happening, unless you define 'competitive' as the competition Vettel faced from Raikkonen.