Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Youhavebeendunn

Re: Red Bull RB16

DRS flap looks to be oscillating on Max's car. Could this be on purpose?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Marti_EF3

Youhavebeendunn wrote:
04 Jul 2020, 13:04
DRS flap looks to be oscillating on Max's car. Could this be on purpose?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It was the same on Albon's car during FP1 I think

etusch

I wonder what would happened if.they were use unupdated car with one of drivers. Or what they think about updates?

Pyrone89

Look at this:

it is both engine and chassis that Red Bull is getting murdered by Mercedes. And that while from now on engines are basically frozen until 2026 with only small changes allowed (none in 2020 apart from 1 K and control electronics) and chassis development is also severly limited until the end of 2021.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

loekf2
loekf2

Pyrone89 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 16:17
Look at this:

it is both engine and chassis that Red Bull is getting murdered by Mercedes. And that while from now on engines are basically frozen until 2026 with only small changes allowed (none in 2020 apart from 1 K and control electronics) and chassis development is also severly limited until the end of 2021.
We should have a level playing field, everybody a Mercedes engine ;-)
(or take the weakest, a Ferrari engine)

Seriously, looking at the past 1-2 years, I'm wondering why the rear of the Red Bull cars are always terribly unstable. For RB16 it looked like they made lot of changes to the rear, incl. suspension. Still, they have understeer (?) issues. Think Verstappen also complained on Dutch TV about it ("the balance of the car").

Pyrone89

loekf2 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 16:33
Pyrone89 wrote:
Look at this:

We should have a level playing field, everybody a Mercedes engine ;-)
(or take the weakest, a Ferrari engine)

Seriously, looking at the past 1-2 years, I'm wondering why the rear of the Red Bull cars are always terribly unstable. For RB16 it looked like they made lot of changes to the rear, incl. suspension. Still, they have understeer (?) issues. Think Verstappen also complained on Dutch TV about it ("the balance of the car").
You mean oversteer.

Only gonna get worsen in 2021 when they need to remove part of the floor at the back as per the new rules for that year. While chassis is frozen, which genius came up with that idea. The same one who has continously made rules since 2014 that catered (unintended or not) to Mercedes' needs (engine, wider more draggy cars, thinner tyres, DAS ruling, front wing changes hampering RB).

Big Tea

Pyrone89 wrote:
Look at this:

I wonder how much of that is influenced by tyre temps? it seems to be where getting the initial power down is a large component of it, which can be influenced by tyre temp.

Just gumbeating here mind
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JordanMugen

loekf2 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 16:33
Seriously, looking at the past 1-2 years, I'm wondering why the rear of the Red Bull cars are always terribly unstable.
2019 front wing rules affected stability of high rake cars like the Red Bull, more than low rake cars like Mercedes. :)

The simplified front wing with less outwash is less able to deflect front tyre wakes away from the floor in high rake designs.

Bill
Bill

The only matric that matter is lap times Rbr is only losing minimum on two straight.The footage from sky don't show the duration of acceleration before the car reach terminal velocity. Last year ferrari was great because they could deploy their energy on batteries for longer which made them devastating. We still don't know which pu can run high mode for longer during races so rather than making assumptions is best to wait and see.

Sieper

That is true. That was a big hit to the high rake cars. Thinner tires was another massive set back.

I guess there is so much going on in the political struggling around rules, we will never know. We only see the result.

loekf2
loekf2

Big Tea wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 16:48
Pyrone89 wrote:
Look at this:

I wonder how much of that is influenced by tyre temps? it seems to be where getting the initial power down is a large component of it, which can be influenced by tyre temp.

Just gumbeating here mind
This reminds of the technical deputy at Redbull, who was responsible for the disastrous RB14, so when Newey took a break to work on Valkerie. This guy, think it is Pierre Waché, is a thermodynamics guy by nature and was expressing a strong wish to put more effort into "nurturing" the tyres.

I would say yes, we see the results from this, already for 3 seasons.

McMika98
McMika98

The car is not consistent according to drivers, understeer with medium tyres and then on fresh soft massive oversteer. Probably why the one lap pace is not quite there as they can't judge the balance come hammer time.
The race pace delta to merc is about half a second which is quite a lot to claw back in a week.

Pyrone89

McMika98 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 22:05
The car is not consistent according to drivers, understeer with medium tyres and then on fresh soft massive oversteer. Probably why the one lap pace is not quite there as they can't judge the balance come hammer time.
The race pace delta to merc is about half a second which is quite a lot to claw back in a week.
Seeing how Newey is admant on staying with high rake you can forget about ever getting a car that has a wide set-up window. When the car is dialed in it is a monster, if not it is a handfull. They could have at least used Alpha Tauri as a test bed for a Mercedes style low rake car.

MtthsMlw

Horner on DAS:
"Perhaps we will look for a more extreme solution now that the stewards are so open to it." :wink:
"Source"