[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

I think it’s a little bit of both. Albon is a very decent driver but I do think you can sort the greats from the good once they’re in like for like cars.
Verstappen does extremely well to be consistently fast and I think he outperforms the redbull over a race distance. It’s fast but not easy to hustle around the track lap after lap. He seems to be able to live on the edge and make fewer mistakes. Very much like HAM

hasika
hasika

Max's P3 finish is expected.Longrun pace difference ,71 laps,3 DRS zone,its really hard to keep Mercedes behind you even its Bottas.
I dont think Hungary will be any different.The car is just not there.
For me,it seems RB16 is not much faster than last year's RB15 when everyone else improves.Albon's performance was poor too.

Revs84
Revs84

In my opinion the RB16 made a good step forward since last week. Shame for the damaged winged today since P2 was very achievable.

The season might be a short one but knowing how important this season is for RB, I'm confident that next race Max will be up there with the Mercedes. If that will be the case, then it's game on.

The biggest wildcard here will be Albon. For Max to have half a shot at the WDC, Albon will need to be closer and steal points from Mercedes.

And that makes you wonder... With both Gasly and Albon taking a shot at Red Bull - both very successful drivers in their own right, but clearly very far off Max's pace - what's the issue? Is it that Max is just on another level or is it that the RB is simply so hard to setup and drive?

Personally I believe it's a little bit of the first and a lot of the latter. If that's truly the case, I do wonder if it's time to look at new aero philosophies, especially with the regulations reset in 2022.

Sieper

GhostF1 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 17:09
Marti_EF3 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 16:49
Well, now it's clear who will win both WC this and next year. Albon had horrible pace also #-o
Need to hear from Alex .. his pace was woeful. He started to match Bottas when Perez caught him and he did well to fend him off but he shouldn't of been racing him and he shouldn't of needed Perez to wake him up. I'm disappointed, I expected way way more from Alex.
I don’t think it was a question of Albon waking up, I think they allowed him a higher power setting on the engine to fight for position. Maybe that can be a hope, if Honda finds the trust to allow for more power. It seems even Renault allows for more grunt. Clear at starts and in fights for position Renault has a higher torgue mode there. That is probably why Marko is also pressuring them via the press. Max has been very political this year. Hopefully Max will get a fair chance fighting for wins. He gives it his all every time. In 5 years (6 if you count F3) I have never Seen him be off the pace.

Bill
Bill

Redbull on medium had pace to pull away from Bottas until he ran out of tires.sometime I wonder which races some of you guys watch.if they can make the tires last from what I understand they need warmer temperatures.Next week we will see how Honda pu performance in low altitude I don't know if the alleged strategy to give up high altitude performance was a good idea.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Bill wrote:Redbull on medium had pace to pull away from Bottas until he ran out of tires.sometime I wonder which races some of you guys watch.if they can make the tires last from what I understand they need warmer temperatures.Next week we will see how Honda pu performance in low altitude I don't know if the alleged strategy to give up high altitude performance was a good idea.
When has RBR stated that their strategy was to lose high altitude performance? Honda has tried to improve their low altitude, but at no point in time they have said that they are doing this at the expense of high altitude... That’s a “Forum” thought process only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 16:54
They need to win at Hungary if they want to have a minimal chance... But it will be super hard
I wonder if racing point wins hungary.

IvailoStefanovBG

RB16 is even worse than RB15. The team has no idea how to fix the rear end instability and make tyres work at low temperatures. They overheat and life shortens. How many front wings RB changed? If i remember correctly last working update was in France?

Sieper

The RB15 is now the alpha tauri. It is not worse. It is much better.

IvailoStefanovBG

If thats true they should almost match pink Mercedes...but they don't...

Bill
Bill

Fia changing front wing to simpler ones was a disastrous decision but they knew it was going to hurt high rake cars just look at Ferrari.if Rbr can't fix their usage and rear stability we have to wait for 2022 to something interesting

TNTHead

What surprised me was the early stop of VER, that way BOT got a tyre advantage of ten laps, for free! Looks like RB caught the bait as they said to Max when he was complaining about that they did it to cover up an undercut by BOT.

It looked to me as a poor strategy, at least afterwards.

proteus

TNTHead wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 18:48
What surprised me was the early stop of VER, that way BOT got a tyre advantage of ten laps, for free! Looks like RB caught the bait as they said to Max when he was complaining about that they did it to cover up an undercut by BOT.

Whatever would they do, they were slower than Mercedes. It was simply a question of time when is Bottas going to put the pedal to the metal. We have to face it that Mercedes is jet again in league of their own.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

TNTHead wrote:What surprised me was the early stop of VER, that way BOT got a tyre advantage of ten laps, for free! Looks like RB caught the bait as they said to Max when he was complaining about that they did it to cover up an undercut by BOT.

I believe the call wasn’t wrong, Bottas was closing in on Max and could have either brought the fight to him or perform the undercut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moore77

Bill wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 18:44
Fia changing front wing to simpler ones was a disastrous decision but they knew it was going to hurt high rake cars just look at Ferrari.if Rbr can't fix their usage and rear stability we have to wait for 2022 to something interesting
Marko claimed in late 2018 that the New Front wing didn't hamper them as much on downforce. They clawed back the lost downforce in December itself. Binotto claimed the simplified front cost them 1.5 seconds and James Allison claimed they lost 2.5 seconds. So the biggest losers were Mercedes as they were the pioneers of out wash front wing, which was the critical aspect of their car performance.

Now to say it was a disastrous decision for Red Bull is a moot point. Its about how well teams respond to these rule changes that matters the most in the competition. Mercedes went from high rake to low rake, from shorter wheel base to longer wheel base and encountered challenges along the way, but that team found solutions to fix the problems.

Red Bull is doing well, but have been unable to outperform Mercedes. They have not done anything innovative in the last so many years. They need to take more risks on aero philosophy.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.