[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Marti_EF3 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 22:57
That's too much. But will be better to compare with BOT, because Hamilton was driving to a delta and not pushing. But BOT was indeed pushing to reach Max. And I think Verstappen was not saving much knowing Bottas was coming... The only thing that gives me some hopes, is that when they turned the PU a bit up to give more power, Max was able to gain aprox 1,5s on two laps. If they can finally unleash the PU, and solve the chasis and aero problems, the gap could be 0.2 or so. And that's enough to fight
Pretty sure traffic played into that, Verstappen said he was just driving to his own pace, granted Verstappen's own pace is push like mad until the checkered flag. I think that there's potential in the chassis, Horner seems to think there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the car, that it does some very nice things, but others need to be worked on. Maybe there are a few tenths in sorting out the car, but will it be enough? Red Bull often take big leaps during the season, if this year is no different and Verstappen can keep splitting the Mercs in the mean time, and Bottas can steal the occasional win from Hamilton there's still lots to play for.

Hopefully RB can take that step sooner rather than later, at least 3 Honda cars finished so there's some good data to be had.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

Also the PU seems reliable enough and good levels of power. Kvyat was defending position against a Renault and Mclaren without DRS, and they wasn't able to pass. Also Albon had good overtakes too.

And Gasly had a Driveshaft issue (remember last year on pre season and Baku issues with the RB15?) But, Honda can launch the Spec 2 during this season? Or they need to wait until 2021?

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 22:57
That's too much. But will be better to compare with BOT, because Hamilton was driving to a delta and not pushing. But BOT was indeed pushing to reach Max. And I think Verstappen was not saving much knowing Bottas was coming... The only thing that gives me some hopes, is that when they turned the PU a bit up to give more power, Max was able to gain aprox 1,5s on two laps. If they can finally unleash the PU, and solve the chasis and aero problems, the gap could be 0.2 or so. And that's enough to fight
ham said that he was.pushing and I believe that. He make.many time fastest laps.

Rodak
Rodak

etusch wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 20:57
Sieper wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 19:49
Bot hit traffic.

Let’s hope the extra point was not just ego but indeed maybe an expectance Max can still compete this year. I don’t see it but perhaps they can find the aero culprit(s).
when gap reduced to 1 sec vers up his pace and made 1.7 then bottas hit by traffic.
If Bottas was hit by traffic then Max was too, as he was only a few seconds ahead. In fact, the first one to reach traffic generally has a more difficult time getting through, then the chasing car has it easier as the cars are aware of the leaders and are moving over quicker.

HPD

Horner: "The big question was whether the wishbones also got anything. That would have meant game over"

"The car was hit hard by the impact. To make sure there was no internal damage, we examined the parts with a mobile X-ray device. Fortunately, everything was fine."

"There are some anomalies in the car. The aerodynamics do not behave as we would expect," says Horner. "We are working hard to understand that and switch off in the next races."

"I think the base of our car is right. We just have to somehow extract the pace that the simulations promise us. Then we should be much closer."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ama-crash/
Tanabe: We were able to get the very most out of the PU today in performance terms, which contributed to his great result.
After this very tough start to the season with three races in as many weekends, we now have a short break and a free weekend. This will give us a bit of time to work on analysing all our data in Sakura and Milton Keynes, to try and find further performance gains. Even though the two races at Silverstone will not be easy for us, we will take the momentum from today’s strong showing to keep working in the hope of getting even better results.

godlameroso

Rodak wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 00:02
etusch wrote:
Sieper wrote:
Bot hit traffic.

Let’s hope the extra point was not just ego but indeed maybe an expectance Max can still compete this year. I don’t see it but perhaps they can find the aero culprit(s).
when gap reduced to 1 sec vers up his pace and made 1.7 then bottas hit by traffic.
If Bottas was hit by traffic then Max was too, as he was only a few seconds ahead. In fact, the first one to reach traffic generally has a more difficult time getting through, then the chasing car has it easier as the cars are aware of the leaders and are moving over quicker.
It all depends where you get traffic, blue flags waving you by is much easier in sector 1 than 2 or 3, so if Verstappen passed traffic in sector 1, and Bottas got that same traffic in sector 2 it would definitely cost him more time.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

If tire durability is relatively consistent across mileage it's going to be hard to pull off a one stop at Silverstone.
Saishū kōnā

damager21
damager21

Timelapse video of Max Verstappen crash before the start and the repair.

Sieper

What a job! And no panic at all, just calmly and collectedly working, And that after working into the night to revert the set-up.

El Scorchio

Sieper wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 11:20
What a job! And no panic at all, just calmly and collectedly working, And that after working into the night to revert the set-up.
What are the rules around breaking curfew this year? You’re still allowed to do it once or twice?

Wouter

El Scorchio wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 11:51
Sieper wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 11:20
What are the rules around breaking curfew this year? You’re still allowed to do it once or twice?
Twice a year.
The Power of Dreams!

Revs84
Revs84

Marti_EF3 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:27
Also the PU seems reliable enough and good levels of power. Kvyat was defending position against a Renault and Mclaren without DRS, and they wasn't able to pass. Also Albon had good overtakes too.

And Gasly had a Driveshaft issue (remember last year on pre season and Baku issues with the RB15?) But, Honda can launch the Spec 2 during this season? Or they need to wait until 2021?
Engine manufacturers will need to keep same spec for ICE, TC and MGU-H until end of 2020 but allowed to include reliability updates.

The question as always remains the fine line between a reliability upgrade that allows more performance out of the PU. Something that we've seen being exploited in the past.

I wouldn't be surprised if some or all of them do this. Although I'm sure the FIA will be monitoring these closely.

Sieper

Rodak wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 00:02
etusch wrote:
Sieper wrote:
Bot hit traffic.

Plus the first one usually kills the battle going on between the backmarkers. So the follower can easily take them one by one as they then are seconds apart. It was Why Max was so angry in the last lap. They all continued onwards in front of him, leaving him in dirty air on his very old and asked much from already hard tires. Luckily Bottas was unable to make a final lunge.

godlameroso

Hard tires are good for 150km around Hungary.
Saishū kōnā

Wynters
Wynters

etusch wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:39
ham said that he was.pushing and I believe that. He make.many time fastest laps.
Why would he push? His lap times clearly show him cruising. During his 27 lap stint, he only had four laps in the 1:18s and the quickest was a 1:18.611. Bottas drove a shorter stint (only 21 laps), but his average matched Hamilton's best time and Bottas fastest lap was a 1:17.655

Do we really think Hamilton was on the ragged edge? Or is it more likely he had turned everything down as low as it could go? Given Hamilton's staggering record of 69(?) point scoring finishes from the last 70(?) races, I suspect he prioritises looking after the car at every opportunity.