[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

A missed opportunity for great points today with the cars finishing P5 and P7 and Racing point in 9th... A shame really for Carlos who nursed those tires as much as he could and even then he had them failed...

Unbelievable ending to the race though... And Lando’s P5 isn’t bad either and let’s us increase the gap to RP on the WCC... Have a feeling that next week it will be a 2 stopper for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fouad1979
fouad1979

No man ricciardo was faster than us

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:Well Pirellis today costed us lots of points. Good race from the team. We were faster than both Renaults and Racing Points and the idiocy of Pirelli costed us the points of Sainz cause I am sure if the tyres were ok Ricciardo would not be able to have passed us. Anyway. Good Race.
Actually, Renault had better pace than us this weekend... RIC was consistently faster than Lando and Carlos in the second half of the last stint... I’m surprised about the Racing Point pace, they may have had some issues not disclosed yet.

Darth-Piekus

The tyres betrayed us today. I don't think Ricciardo would have passed us if not for that. I'm sure Sainz would have defended perfectly in that 1 lap. Oh well. Still we are battling the Racing Points ,we gained against them today ,we probably gonna bring more updates next week and better understand the current ones. Got to push development to outdevelop the oppositions.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 02 Aug 2020, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

McL-H
McL-H

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 14:47
McL-H wrote:
billamend wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 12:35

Is there any evidence for that?
They only last 6-8 laps. McLaren are forced to stop twice. While starting on Mediums you could do a 1-stop for Hards. Being locked in on a 2-stop strategy is a disadvantage by itself. If you think otherwise, please elaborate.
I believe they will manage the tires and they will probably extend the softs until lap 16-18... The temperatures are lower than on practice.

billamend wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 13:07

I was asking because yesterday I read somewhere that Pirelli was recommending a 2-stop strategy. Was not doubting you, just genuinely curious.

Edit: not quickest, but you can do Soft-Hard.
https://preview.redd.it/kf1arflsake51. ... c868978037
You guys were right. Safety cars helped, but softs could definitely go a bit longer.

Such a shame Carlos tire failed.. we lost good points today. I wonder why we we were a bit slow in the second half of the race. Couldn’t close the gap to Leclerc. Couldn’t manage the gap to Ricciardo. Such a shame. The guys deserved more.

michl420
michl420

Interesting sainz have the tire failure an not norris, he drive always in clean air. But i think norris's would have the failure in 2 laps.

fouad1979
fouad1979

We are faster than renault in quali and they are faster with ricciardo in the race we must improve ferrari passed us and we are far from redbull

Darth-Piekus

Reminds me of last year. Renault were good in specific Grand Prix, Haas was good in elsewhere, Racing Point and Torro Rosso were good somewhere else. Mclaren however was good generally and I hope the same goes for this year and we will outdevelop them quickly.

I can't say Ferrari passed us. More like Ricciardo and Leclerc are getting 200% from their car not to mention our tyres betrayed us today. So far we are consistently in front of Ferrari, Racing Point and Renault. While they might be good partially we are good generally and that trums partially so far.

Xero

Ricciardo had the pace on us today, but it was really close. Shame about Sainz, would have been a good result. His lack of pace at the end cost Lando a place by backing him into Danny, but its clear he was having tyre issues. Its a concern going into next week for sure.

fouad1979
fouad1979

Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:54
Reminds me of last year. Renault were good in specific Grand Prix, Haas was good in elsewhere, Racing Point and Torro Rosso were good somewhere else. Mclaren however was good generally and I hope the same goes for this year and we will outdevelop them quickly.

I can't say Ferrari passed us. More like Ricciardo and Leclerc are getting 200% from their car not to mention our tyres betrayed us today.
Charles was 0.5 faster in quali and race so lets wait next week to see if the jumped us or just this GP

BrunoH
BrunoH

maybe slight different camber settings between the 2 mclaren or just luck...

diffuser

McL-H wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:51
SmallSoldier wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 14:47
McL-H wrote:
They only last 6-8 laps. McLaren are forced to stop twice. While starting on Mediums you could do a 1-stop for Hards. Being locked in on a 2-stop strategy is a disadvantage by itself. If you think otherwise, please elaborate.
I believe they will manage the tires and they will probably extend the softs until lap 16-18... The temperatures are lower than on practice.

billamend wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 13:07

I was asking because yesterday I read somewhere that Pirelli was recommending a 2-stop strategy. Was not doubting you, just genuinely curious.

Edit: not quickest, but you can do Soft-Hard.
https://preview.redd.it/kf1arflsake51. ... c868978037
You guys were right. Safety cars helped, but softs could definitely go a bit longer.

Such a shame Carlos tire failed.. we lost good points today. I wonder why we we were a bit slow in the second half of the race. Couldn’t close the gap to Leclerc. Couldn’t manage the gap to Ricciardo. Such a shame. The guys deserved more.
They were controling the pace for the tires Ironically (and/or fuel) there was a big jump (about .5 a lap) in pace around lap 38. They still had more pace int the car but trying to take the tires to the end. Perrelli had said the hards COULD go 40 laps.

fouad1979
fouad1979

Xero wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:55
Ricciardo had the pace on us today, but it was really close. Shame about Sainz, would have been a good result. His lack of pace at the end cost Lando a place by backing him into Danny, but its clear he was having tyre issues. Its a concern going into next week for sure.
Yes he had vibrations in the last laps

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:

I can't say Ferrari passed us. More like Ricciardo and Leclerc are getting 200% from their car not to mention our tyres betrayed us today.
Agreed. I feel like most of the guys are too hard on the team. We were a lap away from finishing both cars in top 10 and only lost out due to a tire failure that both Mercedes experienced as well. It could be even due to debris. Team has now shown that the car is close to the top of the midfield in a variety of tracks and the drivers seem to be driving fairly against each other. I'm quite happy with the season.

Ricciardo might be just a bit faster driver overall, especially given his experience and his known aggression. He's not going to think twice about a sketchy move for 5th while Norris and Sainz will take it safe.

Overall pretty good.

Darth-Piekus

fouad1979 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 16:55
Darth-Piekus wrote:

Charles was 0.5 faster in quali and race so lets wait next week to see if the jumped us or just this GP
All I see is Mclaren being generally good in almost every situation and both drivers bring consistent point. Ferrari on the other hand is picky with their races and so is Racing Point and Renault. To me that shows Mclaren is the general best 3rd team so far because consistency gives you positions.

You understand what I mean. It's better to have a car where it's good in all situations instead of choosing which GP to be good.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 02 Aug 2020, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.