2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

Racing incident.

The fact that Max caught stroll so easily gave Max the impression stroll was not going to gun it again.

Stroll floored it. Max somehow still though stroll would pull off to the side and slow down. I don't know why he did not account for stroll not seeing him alongside?

On stroll's side. Stroll slowed too much before the line and did not check his mirrors. Small mental capacity perhaps,
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PlatinumZealot wrote:Racing incident.

The fact that Max caught stroll so easily gave Max the impression stroll was not going to gun it again.

Stroll floored it. Max somehow still though stroll would pull off to the side and slow down. I don't know why he did not account for stroll not seeing him alongside?

On stroll's side. Stroll slowed too much before the line and did not check his mirrors. Small mental capacity perhaps,
I believe it’s unfair to say that Stroll had “small mental capacity”... Just as we are quick to say that Max “assumed” that Stroll was going to slow down and let him by... Stroll could have also “assumed” that since he was in front and on the racing line, Max would have backed down.

Why they were “racing” each other in practice is a different story... Both share the guilt in the situation, but blaming Stroll alone for the issue isn’t fair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

XRayF1
XRayF1

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 19:48
Racing incident.

Usually I am quite fond of your pov and opinion, but I strongly believe you are wrong in this case.

VER and STR had a run in some laps before, at which STR was less than optimal. Or so I have heard (F1TV).

Some few minures later, you see VER braking hard for no apparent reason just before turn 14 letting STR by.
Only to try to catch him again on the main straight.
Which VER could not do once STR evidently pushed the correct buttons on his MFD.
Additionally, STR was to me never able to see VER in his mirrors as he passed him in turn 14 and had his head down for making the adjustments for a new run. And even if, VER was actually in STR's blind spot once they reached the middle of the main straight.

But VER could see STR very clearly.
And while I would understand such racing during a race, I would not accept this from my driver/VER during a practice run.
It was just poor judgement on VER's part ...

... aaand, one could argue the turn 1 incident between them was VER's try to teach STR a lesson ...

etusch

XRayF1 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 20:47
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Racing incident.

Usually I am quite fond of your pov and opinion, but I strongly believe you are wrong in this case.

VER and STR had a run in some laps before, at which STR was less than optimal. Or so I have heard (F1TV).

Some few minures later, you see VER braking hard for no apparent reason just before turn 14 letting STR by.
Which VER could not do once STR evidently pushed the correct buttons on his MFD.
Additionally, STR was to me never able to see VER in his mirrors as he passed him in turn 14 and had his head down for making the adjustments for a new run. And even if, VER was actually in STR's blind spot once they reached the middle of the main straight.

And while I would understand such racing during a race, I would not accept this from my driver/VER during a practice run.

... aaand, one could argue the turn 1 incident between them was VER's try to teach STR a lesson ...
Don't force yourself so hard ? If Stroll is not aware verstappen out there he must be immidiatly banned from racing. It is not matter Verstappen was in the mirror or not.

dans79

etusch wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 21:25
Don't force yourself so hard ? If Stroll is not aware verstappen out there he must be immidiatly banned from racing. It is not matter Verstappen was in the mirror or not.
All F1 cars have blind spots, and it's not the other drivers job to make sure Max is never inconvenienced in any way.... Max himself has complained about the blindspot in the past.

As I have said several times now, Max wasn't on the optimal racing line for a hot lap. Thus, he should have backed out of it long before the breaking zone, because it was obvious he wasn't going to get passed stroll, and stroll was under no obligation to let him by!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Edax
Edax

El Scorchio wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 19:06
Racer X wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 19:02
RZS10 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 16:56
Terrible how long it takes to remove Gasly's car ... looking forward to 15 minute SC periods or red flags as soon as there's a stranded car during the race ...
The only positive I can see from this is the learning experience gained from this. Hopefully some brainstorming happens today. So that race day can be a bit quicker.
Especially as it was on fire. Marshals running 300 yards and across the track with fire extinguishers..... #-o
Yeah, had some flashbacks to Tom Pryce.

Strange because he was literally on a exit road. You would expect some marshall’s there, because it is a logical place to pull off.

XRayF1
XRayF1

etusch wrote:
XRayF1 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 20:47
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Racing incident.

Well, I believe this is exactly the question.
My argument was in the direction if STR was actually able to see VER, as in optics. I argue he was not, and that VER was actually the only one who could have avoided the collision, hence the question why he did not ...
Would be interesting to see the footage of his cockpit cam looking at the helmet.

Phil

dans79 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:12
El Scorchio wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:06
What a crazy, stupid collision between Stroll and Verstappen. Pair of idiots.
No idea what Max was thinking.... He wasn't on the optimum racing line, but he still thought it was still a good idea to go for a push lap!
This.

I am in disbelief what Verstappen was thinking here.

1.)
He was not on the racing line

2.)
He wasnt getting past on the straight, Stroll was indeed faster, indication of being on a “hot lap” with DRS open

3.)
Stroll was ahead. At all times.

4.)
Verstappen was right in Strolls blindspot.

5.)
Even assuming Stroll would have backed out last second and yielded, what good would of come off that lap being that compromized into T1? There was no point to stay on it.

I’m quite frankly surprised no penalty was issued. For me, 100% Max’s fault. Cant help but think if another driver was involved we’d have gotten something. Either way, glad at the same time, as i’m not a fan of incidents during practice carying over to the race.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Video is up and i would say at about the 4 or 5 second mark, Max should have backed out of it.

201 105 104 9 9 7

etusch

dans79 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 21:41
etusch wrote:
All F1 cars have blind spots, and it's not the other drivers job to make sure Max is never inconvenienced in any way.... Max himself has complained about the blindspot in the past.

As I have said several times now, Max wasn't on the optimal racing line for a hot lap. Thus, he should have backed out of it long before the breaking zone, because it was obvious he wasn't going to get passed stroll, and stroll was under no obligation to let him by!
I can say same as I have same rights with you and I have ability to write but this means nothing. I don't clear Max completely and I don't say Stroll must let Max to go, I just say that Stroll can not act as if he is lapping alone at a track bought by his father for himself. So he must leave enough space for Max because he knew he is there. If Max was blind spot of Stroll then he need to be more carefull, that is not a reason to clear Stroll but load more responsibility to him. After that stage, it is obvious that there is not a slowed down max on the mirror so he still pushes, he is inside and has nowhere to run, so, it is up to Stroll to leave space.
I think both should be penalised personally. As a redbull honda fun, If I were Redbull principle I would penalise Max for this incident.

billamend
billamend

Stroll's race coach just said to the Portuguese broadcast that it's 60-40 where Stroll is more guilty than Max.
Last edited by billamend on 23 Oct 2020, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Mattchu

Ferrari look like they`ve made a decent jump, lets hope it continues further into the weekend...

BrunoH
BrunoH

i had said here before that having raced there, turn 1 in F1 wold be very very hard.. because its a very fast right... the only ´´real´´ spot is the tight left in the inside straight

NathanOlder

To me its very clear Max was just trying to ruin Strolls lap, as Stroll was in his way and wrecked his chance through bad judgement by max's engineer. Like others said, Max was never going to set a good lap as he was on a bad line. I even doubt Max would have made the corner at all even if Stroll backed out. Max was at full racing speed on a very compromised line. he was just trying to ruin Strolls lap as he had his ruined through no ones fault other than team RedBull
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

RZS10

Oh yea that was def. a "put him in his place" move on Stroll