[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Sieper wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 10:01
zibby43 wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 06:07
Sieper wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 00:23
Indeed. Much bigger then they look on the car. Where did it got stuck exactly, did anyone see? In the bargeboards area somewhere?
Good question. I'm guessing it was stuck somewhere in the underfloor area, as Bottas spoke of driving directly over the debris in order to avoid puncturing a tire.

The '19 reg changes really made the FWs even more massive. Seeing footage of the mechanics carrying entire FW assemblies in the pitlane when practicing FW changes really highlights the size of these 2017+ cars.
Must have been, I didn’t see it on the car. Weird it got stuck under the floor, you would think it gets ripped out at some point. Bad luck for Bottas, it meant Max did the undercut and Lewis winning the race. Even worse luck for Max later on but ok.
Max's tire blowout happened in the part of the track Senna crashed in.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Wouter wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 16:09
Video how Max his right rear tire broke.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 0rxCG.html
It happened near the sidewall, looks like the tire had an internal failure.
Saishū kōnā

Sieper

video is really good. Hope it helps them to prevent it happening again. This year I merely am disappointed when whilst Max would be in any kind of title fight I would be devastated.

TNTHead

Sieper wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 17:57
video is really good. Hope it helps them to prevent it happening again. This year I merely am disappointed when whilst Max would be in any kind of title fight I would be devastated.
Very strange incident. Question is will they do anything to search for a cause. The tyre surface was looking perfectly fine.

Btw, this season is for me increasingly underwhelming: how many fights did we see upfront? Iirc it was only Silverstone two. Max is also a bit more risk averse, but its also because of Ferrari fallout and a 'comfortable' gap for Merc.

<disappointment mode> Actually I dont see it happen RB beating Merc, unless Wolff leaves there and a significant braindrain happens over there. Then we'll see a shift, may be McL/AM/Ren is the future </disappointment mode>

Sieper

This is interesting. Tire delamination. You got to scroll down a long way. Frame by frame.

https://imgur.com/a/nds1PWu

And some footage from the inside of the track. Loud bang when the tire then goes.

etusch

Until the extremely lucky(!) pit stop of Hamilton I watched race. When I saw Ferrari diffuser parts flying around (at a slow motion video) when they hit the curbs I thought these parts can hart other cars. I don't know if it is the cause of puncture of course but they are dangerous at the end.

this is from ferrari thread

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 21:04
This is interesting. Tire delamination. You got to scroll down a long way. Frame by frame.

https://imgur.com/a/nds1PWu

And some footage from the inside of the track. Loud bang when the tire then goes.

Looks more like the inside shoulder failed to me, rather than a delamination.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sieper

I seem to see a part of the running surface (Indeed on the inside) coming loose, slapping around A few revolutions and then indeed the tire rips on the inside shoulder.

lio007

godlameroso wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 01:13
If Albon is seeing out the year that points at Perez.

My fear is the problems with the RB16 B will be even worse due to chopping up the floor. Then there's the Mercedes engine taking a rumored big step. Which means they may still be a step ahead of Honda.

To those that wonder about the RB15 being more competitive, remember that Honda brought zero power unit updates this year. Same fuel same engine slightly updated ERS.

Next year all of this year's development comes all at once. I just hope it's enough to keep Merc honest. The Merc power unit had its advantage locked in all year, and if they have a power unit advantage they'll once again keep it all next year
I wonder if teams were aware of the effects in cutting the floor when they devided the change in regulations. As far as I know there is a Technical Working Group with members of each team to discuss and finding solutions. I can't imagine these team members don't talk to their aerodynamicists before the voting.
I know teams were not allowed to run simulations at that point of time, but shouldn't have a Senior Aerodynamicist a feeling in what certain changes will do with the car?
I can't imagine RBR was completely unaware what it will do to their concept and what it will do to their competitors concept (at least to some extent).

Regarding Merc-PU: I wonder if the 4 manufacturers know more in detail than our "rumour-knowledge" what the others are working on?
We just know the topic-level 'Merc is working on the intakte system'.

NathanOlder

godlameroso wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 17:32
Sieper wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 06:07

Good question. I'm guessing it was stuck somewhere in the underfloor area, as Bottas spoke of driving directly over the debris in order to avoid puncturing a tire.

The '19 reg changes really made the FWs even more massive. Seeing footage of the mechanics carrying entire FW assemblies in the pitlane when practicing FW changes really highlights the size of these 2017+ cars.
Must have been, I didn’t see it on the car. Weird it got stuck under the floor, you would think it gets ripped out at some point. Bad luck for Bottas, it meant Max did the undercut and Lewis winning the race. Even worse luck for Max later on but ok.
Max's blowout was just before Villeneuve, Senna was half way through Tamburello.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Nov 2020, 22:10
godlameroso wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 17:32
Sieper wrote:

Max's blowout was just before Villeneuve, Senna was half way through Tamburello.
Yes you're right, my mistake.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/641490/2

Translated from a German site:

In Q2 of qualifying, Verstappen came in after his first fast lap. The Honda engine struggled and he wanted the problem solved before going for his second fast lap. Ultimately, it was a faulty spark plug, part of the engine's ignition system.

"It was impossible to predict when that problem would occur," says Tanabe when asked about the RB16's sputtering engine. 'Our durability tests show how long each part can last. We use the parts with a small margin on them as well. '

That is why the defect came as a surprise to Tanabe: "In principle, the spark plug should have lasted." Again, Honda is struggling with motor problems at a Red Bull that occur unpredictably: "This was also an incidental problem."
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Wouter wrote:
04 Nov 2020, 17:12
https://www.as-web.jp/f1/641490/2

Translated from a German site:

In Q2 of qualifying, Verstappen came in after his first fast lap. The Honda engine struggled and he wanted the problem solved before going for his second fast lap. Ultimately, it was a faulty spark plug, part of the engine's ignition system.

"It was impossible to predict when that problem would occur," says Tanabe when asked about the RB16's sputtering engine. 'Our durability tests show how long each part can last. We use the parts with a small margin on them as well. '

That is why the defect came as a surprise to Tanabe: "In principle, the spark plug should have lasted." Again, Honda is struggling with motor problems at a Red Bull that occur unpredictably: "This was also an incidental problem."
Can spark plugs not be damaged by detonation? They can in a BSA.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Lock2nl
Lock2nl

godlameroso wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 02:00
If Honda leaves RBR with a 2022 power unit, they'd be stuck with it and be able to see out 2022 but they'd be behind for 2023, and they would likely fall behind Renault forcing them to take that power unit.
Depends. The biggest thing for 2022 and 2023 is the E-fuel. Honda could work ahead of schedule (in 2021) because they have a new version 3 that already has been developed even further for 2021. If they can develop the 2022 engine in 2021 as planned (what would normally happen if Honda would have stayed) to support the first stage of e-fuels, and assist RB to support the full change to e-fuels for 2023 and beyond, RBR may be in the fight afterall. RBR could use Tsunoda to convince Honda to stick to some kind of support. More support, more Tsunoda... It ain't over yet.

Sieper

“We use the parts with a small margin on them aswell”.

What does that mean? Not new spark plugs every weekend, day, session?