[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Morteza

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Zynerji

I just hope that when George does get to Mercedes, Lewis goes into it with a mentor mentality (SCH-MAS06) instead of a master/apprentice mentality (ALO-HAM07).

Passing the torch after stamping 8 WDC into the history books would just seal the GOAT conversation forever.

J_Ryder
J_Ryder

lio007 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 13:45
J_Ryder wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 13:26
I haven't watched all races this season due to the snooze fest, but he seems weak on Sundays. Russel would be a better investment for Mercedes. Maybe Red Bull will snatch him in the end.
Do you mean Bottas to Red Bull?
Russel to Red Bull.

J_Ryder
J_Ryder

Zynerji wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 14:09
Passing the torch after stamping 8 WDC into the history books would just seal the GOAT conversation forever.
Not for everybody :)

adrianjordan

J_Ryder wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 18:01
lio007 wrote:
J_Ryder wrote:
I haven't watched all races this season due to the snooze fest, but he seems weak on Sundays. Russel would be a better investment for Mercedes. Maybe Red Bull will snatch him in the end.
Russel to Red Bull.
No way Toto let's that happen.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

El Scorchio

J_Ryder wrote:
lio007 wrote:
J_Ryder wrote:
Russel to Red Bull.
Never going to happen. He's the future at Mercedes.

J_Ryder
J_Ryder

El Scorchio wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 18:34

Wishful thinking:)
But you are right.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

El Scorchio wrote:
J_Ryder wrote:
lio007 wrote:

Russel to Red Bull.
Marko and Co presenting that hot juicy steak in front of Russell's hungry nose might just force Toto to throw Bottas under the bus. Or, let's put it differently, Bottas himself laid down on the train tracks and it's up to Toto to grab him by the hand and lead him to safety.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

El Scorchio

Manoah2u wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 19:34
El Scorchio wrote:
J_Ryder wrote:

Russel to Red Bull.
Marko and Co presenting that hot juicy steak in front of Russell's hungry nose might just force Toto to throw Bottas under the bus. Or, let's put it differently, Bottas himself laid down on the train tracks and it's up to Toto to grab him by the hand and lead him to safety.
The juicy steak of 'come now and be the number two driver in the second best team and and possibly ruin ever getting that Merc drive' vs 'Wait one year and be on equal footing at the best team for as long as you want?'. That's not such a juicy steak really.

Russell is in no place anyway to be making demands of Mercedes. Besides which, if as so many people say any fool could drive the Merc to the title, then why do they even need him? Why not just hire Grosjean?

Moore77

Zynerji wrote:
I just hope that when George does get to Mercedes, Lewis goes into it with a mentor mentality (SCH-MAS06) instead of a master/apprentice mentality (ALO-HAM07).

Genuine talented drivers don't need mentors and nether want to have one. Their instincts make them do the good stuff on various occasions. Lauda, Senna, Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton and Max, didn't have one. In MotoGP when Honda tried to position Stoner in a similar position, Marquez didn't like it and shoved him away. George is talented and a very intelligent guy (based on his work in Williams and in eSeries). One thing that was commented about him by Claire last year was that, he has immense clarity of his work and doesn't hesitate in demanding from engineers what he wants. Those who build themselves without a mentor, would have stuff to handle difficult situations by themselves. All of the above drivers have proved it. So should George if he is one. I personally hate mentors as I have seen, they mostly try to stuff their way of doing it which is not the right thing.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

holeindalip
holeindalip

Moore77 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:11
Zynerji wrote:

Genuine talented drivers don't need mentors and nether want to have one. Their instincts make them do the good stuff on various occasions. Lauda, Senna, Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton and Max, didn't have one. In MotoGP when Honda tried to position Stoner in a similar position, Marquez didn't like it and shoved him away. George is talented and a very intelligent guy (based on his work in Williams and in eSeries). One thing that was commented about him by Claire last year was that, he has immense clarity of his work and doesn't hesitate in demanding from engineers what he wants. Those who build themselves without a mentor, would have stuff to handle difficult situations by themselves. All of the above drivers have proved it. So should George if he is one. I personally hate mentors as I have seen, they mostly try to stuff their way of doing it which is not the right thing.
Russell has already stated Hamilton has helped him with the tires so I don’t think he would hesitate to ask for advice again.....

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

El Scorchio wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:00
Manoah2u wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 19:34
El Scorchio wrote:

The juicy steak of 'come now and be the number two driver in the second best team and and possibly ruin ever getting that Merc drive' vs 'Wait one year and be on equal footing at the best team for as long as you want?'. That's not such a juicy steak really.

Russell is in no place anyway to be making demands of Mercedes. Besides which, if as so many people say any fool could drive the Merc to the title, then why do they even need him? Why not just hire Grosjean?
I don't think RBR's 2nd seat is really something worthwile, but another concideration might be that the lure of short-term improvement might start selling.

After all, George is looking to another year at the end of the field with Williams.
With RBR, he can WIN. Mercedes also compltely co**ed up his race.
Drive at the back of the field for yet ANOTHER year, or WIN with RBR.

Also, WINNING with RBR means also BEATING 'hotshot' Max.
The chances of him being 'allowed' to beat Lewis is also - perhaps - questionable.

Just as that it's questionable RBR will be winning material for 2022,
it's also not unfathomable Merc will be far less dominant in the future,
especially with Toto 'slowly stepping away', and focus is not unlikely to shift to Aston Martin,
or perhaps Mclaren.

And then, RBR could also slam his name on a pack of RedBull, throw him all sorts of fun and vacations,
slam in some tasty millions of salary treats.

WHICH, could be ENOUGH to sign.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:51

The chances of him being 'allowed' to beat Lewis is also - perhaps - questionable.
I think you've got that the wrong way round. Red Bull want Max to be their star driver. Mercedes lets both drivers win.

I think George at Red Bull would cause issues for the team. It'd be McLaren 2007 or Mercedes 2016 with in-fighting and bad relationships forming.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:57
Manoah2u wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:51

I think you've got that the wrong way round. Red Bull want Max to be their star driver. Mercedes lets both drivers win.

I think George at Red Bull would cause issues for the team. It'd be McLaren 2007 or Mercedes 2016 with in-fighting and bad relationships forming.
I agree. Red Bull won’t even let Sergio in the car for fear of disrupting Max.

No way they put Russell in.

On a side note (completely unrelated to your post), it’s Russell with 2 L’s chaps. I find it obnoxious that I’m even pointing it out, but that’s an easy enough name to get right. I think we owe the kid at least that. :mrgreen:

Zynerji

Moore77 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:11
Zynerji wrote:

Your first sentence disqualified the rest of your statement. Take it from someone that develops executive level talent, every single day.

PS: They ALL have mentors. Max has Jos, 100%.