2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
e30ernest
e30ernest

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

I think that is what a lot of members here think. Delaying the filming day was a planned move by Mercedes so there has to be a reason behind it. I am guessing they were testing correlation and pushing the car to the extremes of its envelope (hence the instability we are seeing) in preparation for something they will be using during filming/first race.

dans79

e30ernest wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 06:00
I think that is what a lot of members here think. Delaying the filming day was a planned move by Mercedes so there has to be a reason behind it.
Yep, this was one of the things that peaked my interest even before testing began. If memory serves they have always done the filming before testing. To be fair though, I thought it was because they were trying to get as much design/testing/sim time as possible.
201 105 104 9 9 7

zibby43
zibby43

e30ernest wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 04:46
zibby43 wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 04:30
e30ernest wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 03:04

I am from the future. It's already Tuesday here. :mrgreen:
Can you tell me the winning lottery numbers? :lol: I’ll settle for how the filming day went though
I'd tell you, but it would be a clear violation of the Temporal Prime Directive. :mrgreen:
Haha excellent reference. You can give Buxton a run for his money, but on the Trek side of the equation.

Haven't seen these posted yet, so I'll drop them here. The champ's thoughts on testing:

Bottas' '21 lid:

mkay
mkay

e30ernest wrote:
I think that is what a lot of members here think. Delaying the filming day was a planned move by Mercedes so there has to be a reason behind it. I am guessing they were testing correlation and pushing the car to the extremes of its envelope (hence the instability we are seeing) in preparation for something they will be using during filming/first race.
Reasons behind it: better weather and cost efficiency (which is key this year). The team's already in Bahrain, might as well test there.

Anything else is pure conjecture, aka I'll believe it when I see it.

the EDGE
the EDGE

mkay wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 11:20
e30ernest wrote:
Reasons behind it: better weather and cost efficiency (which is key this year). The team's already in Bahrain, might as well test there.

Of course it conjecture, only Merc know what’s going on, however it certainly fits a past pattern

That of course could be coincidence, but if Merc do have something up their selves they don’t want others to see as it’s fairly easy to copy, then this is exactly what they would do

This is a team that has been all-over design for the past 7 years who gave up developing the W11 a long time ago to concentrate on this year

If they don’t already have a magic bullet, I find it hard to believe Merc will not be able to find a solution before long. Round 1 may only be 10 days away but it’s over a month until round 2 and the night that is Merc will be all over it by then

e30ernest
e30ernest

mkay wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 11:20
e30ernest wrote:

I would agree with you had it not for Merc not doing what other teams that have done their filming in Bahrain did; that is, film just before the test began. They could have done that and gotten all the benefits you mentioned above, while also getting the added benefit of getting that shakedown run in. That they didn't do it is either an oversight (unlikely) or something they deliberately planned.

Vasconia

e30ernest wrote:
Another aero update which solves the theoretic problems on the way? I guess its the case, again.

mkay
mkay

Will Buxton confirming this is a legit filming day, debunking his own rumour/hype. I was right, and I deserve those upvotes now. :D

Everything I'm hearing points to this being a legit filming day rather than a shakedown for anything substantial.

Tracking vehicles on track filming. Slow laps with Merc Safety Car for promos. Multiple cameras trackside and in pitlane.

Also, I understand they're running the SakhirGP layout. They'll get more laps and content from fewer cameras as a result. Also means removing most of the med/high speed direction changes that might have given an indication on resolving issues had new parts been run.

In short then, it's not all part of some devious masterplan as a few rival teams had feared.

It's a genuine filming day for content capture.

The troublesome test run has discovered the "hair in the soup," as Toto put it. The team has a week to fix it.

Game on.

NathanOlder

I thought they had to do some filming anyway, I didnt think they could just test for 100km's .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Juzh

zibby43 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 23:27
El Scorchio wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 23:23
zibby43 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 22:33
Courtesy of F1T member "LightningLewis"

I'm guessing the W12 we saw in Bahrain is not the W12 we will see in Bahrain.

https://i.ibb.co/Lzd9SfF/Screenshot-202 ... u-Tube.jpg
Was this posted after the test? The tokens thing is very intriguing. So many hints about it being obvious, but definitely nothing obvious on the car in the last few days.
Posted in the comment section of this video, which dropped today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQeGKG8KoQ
Nice video, but clearly made for non tech savvy fans. There's literally no new information, apart from migration of survival cell. Especially underwhelming because usually there's always some juicy bits in Allison's videos, but this is one just bland PR exercise.

SiLo

It makes sense tbh, they are already in Bahrain so might as well do it there and save the money on moving everything to Silverstone for a test. Plus it probably looks better for marketing to have it running in some sunshine.
Felipe Baby!

basti313
basti313

Juzh wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 13:03
zibby43 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 23:27
El Scorchio wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 23:23

Was this posted after the test? The tokens thing is very intriguing. So many hints about it being obvious, but definitely nothing obvious on the car in the last few days.
Posted in the comment section of this video, which dropped today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQeGKG8KoQ
Nice video, but clearly made for non tech savvy fans. There's literally no new information, apart from migration of survival cell. Especially underwhelming because usually there's always some juicy bits in Allison's videos, but this is one just bland PR exercise.
I do not agree, the comment on the used parts shades a lot of light on the spend tokens. As DAS was mounted to the tub, I expected maybe a structural change there, but as they use the old tub this is definitely not the case. Also the nose and gearbox is the same. So the spend tokens have to be around the gearbox casing and rear axle, which emphasises the point that most probably something was missing there.
Don`t russel the hamster!

NathanOlder

SiLo wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 13:05
It makes sense tbh, they are already in Bahrain so might as well do it there and save the money on moving everything to Silverstone for a test. Plus it probably looks better for marketing to have it running in some sunshine.
Yes and No, it makes sense as they are there, but usually you would do it in the week leading up to the test, on a wednesday or thursday. To find any small issues ect with just running the car. To do it after really does look like a tactical move for 1 reason or another.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

mkay
mkay

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 14:05
SiLo wrote:
Yes and No, it makes sense as they are there, but usually you would do it in the week leading up to the test, on a wednesday or thursday. To find any small issues ect with just running the car. To do it after really does look like a tactical move for 1 reason or another.
Tactical move in that it allows Merc to probably save some money in a year where teams have to adhere to a budget cap.

We will see more and more cost-saving moves like this going forward. Days of unfettered extravagance are behind us now.

NathanOlder

mkay wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 15:10
NathanOlder wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 14:05
SiLo wrote:
Tactical move in that it allows Merc to probably save some money in a year where teams have to adhere to a budget cap.

We will see more and more cost-saving moves like this going forward. Days of unfettered extravagance are behind us now.
SO why do the 'filming' day after testing and not before ? The cost would be the same, so not money. It even makes more sense to do it before, to find any hidden gremlins that would usually cost you precious testing time. Just like what happened on Friday. So what are your thoughts as to why do it after testing and not before ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.