2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

I feel bad for Alonso. I think he just gave up, he felt there's nothing to race for, call it a day. Look where Ocon ended up. The car and the engine are not that good. It's that half assed philosophy that has been the standout feature of Renault all this time. They have some good people, but the overall philosophy isn't working.
Saishū kōnā

RedNEO

the EDGE wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 20:22
Breaking news for anyone not watching Teds Notebook

Ted says Cyril carried the can for finishing 5th and was sacked, but he can’t get this officially confirmed
In a way that’s the lesson that should be learned. If you put all your eggs into one basket it leaves no room to react to things happening in the now. Someone obviously decided it was a good idea to not have a new chassis for 2020 and in turn not bring the new engine early to prepare because they thought it would just be one extra year of using the same chassis and that decision is still affecting them today and possibly could actually be a disadvantage for 2022 since they could have had two years of the improving the 2022 engine on track in a 2020 chassis and had better results in both 2020+2021.
Last edited by RedNEO on 28 Mar 2021, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

RedNEO

godlameroso wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 21:11
I feel bad for Alonso. I think he just gave up, he felt there's nothing to race for, call it a day. Look where Ocon ended up. The car and the engine are not that good. It's that half assed philosophy that has been the standout feature of Renault all this time. They have some good people, but the overall philosophy isn't working.
Going forwards that’s not going to be the case. The new Renault CEO is clear that that way doesn’t work, that was Cyrils legacy. They can’t just expect to be a top car next year if they can’t get on top of a mini regulation change like this year. They can still focus mainly on next year but they also need to improve this car even if they don’t bring a lot of updates to it. How else are they going to have any confidence what they are doing for next year is working if they don’t make sure they fully understand this car first.

bucker
bucker

Thank god for Alonso. I first thought that he lost his mojo when he left, but he is delivering way more than Ocon. Bit disappointed for the first race with the actual pace of the car.

RedNEO

What I’m afraid of is it’s already too late to correct the mistakes made by Cyril for 2022. If Luca had arrived earlier they probably would have had 2022 engine in this years car by cutting a similar deal with the FIA like McLaren did to swap there tokens to install the new engine and change the chassis.

RedNEO

bucker wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 21:36
Thank god for Alonso. I first thought that he lost his mojo when he left, but he is delivering way more than Ocon. Bit disappointed for the first race with the actual pace of the car.
Indeed. Those first laps despite the car were classic Alonso. He was up to 7th and looking at overtaking a McLaren. Let’s hope it was actually debris going into the brake ducts and not just the brakes not being able to handle him driving that quickly to stay in the top 10.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Have to give kudos for Alonso- his sheer ability was dragging the Alpine into the top 10 and near the McLarens today. The car needs some refining it seems.

Bisonas

RedNEO wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:36
diffuser wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:29

Do they really look like they spent alot of Money on 2021 ? They spent the most money on the paint.

I also think they are faster than they looked in Alonso hands. They looked good until they started having deployment problems. Be interesting to find out exactly when that started.
Where did you hear this?
They did had deployment issues prior to the brake failure.
I was watching the race on f1tv with Formula1 Live timing app opened on my cell, and F1 app did play 2 of Alonso radio messages complaining about "Deployment" with the team responding, we know, we see it, we can't do anything about it atm. That was prior to the brake failure.

radosav
radosav

in team report they metioned power problems with Alonso's car,after first pit stop

IIIRAIVA10III
IIIRAIVA10III

Bisonas wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 22:23
RedNEO wrote:
diffuser wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:29

Do they really look like they spent alot of Money on 2021 ? They spent the most money on the paint.

I also think they are faster than they looked in Alonso hands. They looked good until they started having deployment problems. Be interesting to find out exactly when that started.
Where did you hear this?
I was watching the race on f1tv with Formula1 Live timing app opened on my cell, and F1 app did play 2 of Alonso radio messages complaining about "Deployment" with the team responding, we know, we see it, we can't do anything about it atm. That was prior to the brake failure.
In the post-race interview, Alonso said they had a problem with the batteries, prior to the breaks failure.

Also Marcin Budkowski said here (https://www.alpinecars.com/en/news_f1/a ... on-opener/):

"After his first stop we had a small issue that forced us to reduce the performance of the car, then after the second stop, a sandwich wrap paper got stuck inside the rear brake duct of Fernando’s car, which led to high temperatures and caused some damage to the brake system, so we retired him for safety reasons."

That would explain why he suddenly lost so much speed (or at least that's what I want to belive). Nonetheless, it is not acceptable that after 3 testing days and whole weekend in the same track they have this kind of issues.

radosav
radosav

IIIRAIVA10III wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 22:37
Bisonas wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

Where did you hear this?
In the post-race interview, Alonso said they had a problem with the batteries, prior to the breaks failure.

Also Marcin Budkowski said here (https://www.alpinecars.com/en/news_f1/a ... on-opener/):

"After his first stop we had a small issue that forced us to reduce the performance of the car, then after the second stop, a sandwich wrap paper got stuck inside the rear brake duct of Fernando’s car, which led to high temperatures and caused some damage to the brake system, so we retired him for safety reasons."

That would explain why he suddenly lost so much speed (or at least that's what I want to belive). Nonetheless, it is not acceptable that after 3 testing days and whole weekend in the same track they have this kind of issues.
well ,red bull had issues with both cars

RedNEO

radosav wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 22:59
IIIRAIVA10III wrote:
Bisonas wrote:

well ,red bull had issues with both cars
If Alpine was as fast as Red Bull I’d be ok with it but they are not and the engine is not new either

RedNEO

IIIRAIVA10III wrote:
Bisonas wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

Where did you hear this?

Agreed. It’s honestly shocking to see how low the quality control bar is at the moment.

Jambier

Maybe next year they will be in front of RB that push all for 2021

I mean who would have thought of 2014 Mercedes ?

They are carrying an old chassis and not update engine result are logical

RedNEO

Jambier wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 23:22
Maybe next year they will be in front of RB that push all for 2021

I mean who would have thought of 2014 Mercedes ?

They are carrying an old chassis and not update engine result are logical
I hope they will be strong for next year but as soon as the team started settling for mediocrity is when it just snowballed into everything. This all started by accepting not to change the chassis or engine much in 2020 because “it’s not worth it”. It needs to stop, this team is supposed to be Alpine not HAAS. You can’t be having a year like this race when we struggle to make a two year old PU last 10 laps or brakes last 25 laps and expect miracles next year. They need to improve these little things very quickly if they even want to be in the top ten next year.