2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Morteza

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

holeindalip
holeindalip

nzjrs wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 14:04
selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 06:14
sorry to mention here: is Honda doing what Ferrari did in 2019? extra oil burning? I suspect Honda's genuine engine power as AT = Ferrari and Mercedes now. I strongly doubt it.

I have no doubt in Mercedes power unit and engine. They will bounce back shortly.

in 2020 they are not great in pre season testing however they had 6 days to recover. in 2021 they had only 3 days and this week race. I strongly believe they will bounce back in next race.
I don't think the consensus is that the 2019 Ferarri secret was oil burning. Maybe fuel accumulation or something more tricky fuel related. Oil burning was 2017 from memory (and Mercedes was arguably the worst offender).
Do you have proof, only thing I know is ferrari were the ones with an extra auxiliary oil tank, merc just brought forward an engine upgrade that could still use the older oil consumption rules, but they didn’t lose performance when even stricter rules took place....

nzjrs

holeindalip wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 15:51
merc just brought forward an engine upgrade that could still use the older oil consumption rules, but they didn’t lose performance when even stricter rules took place....
Basically what you said and do not dispute. I agree the performance losses were stepwise and confusing however Merc doing the engine upgrade timeline change (subverting the 'gentleman's agreement' with Ferarri - putting aside if that is a valid concept) left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Other than that, the various historical observations of the various scents of oil burnt in the pitlane by Merc and Ferarri that have been discussed and recounted on here.

(but I don't want to drag this off topic too much)

dans79

So, everyone at the track did just about everything possible to maximize their result. Now it's time to see what gains can be made with what equates to a full days worth of testing data. I'd expect some software updates for the next race to deal with the derating.

I also expect we will see a smaller performance delta to RBR on all the tire compounds, as it's obvious they figured out how to make the harder tires last. Thus now they can trade some of that off for more performance.
201 105 104 9 9 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:06
So, everyone at the track did just about everything possible to maximize their result. Now it's time to see what gains can be made with what equates to a full days worth of testing data. I'd expect some software updates for the next race to deal with the derating.

I also expect we will see a smaller performance delta to RBR on all the tire compounds, as it's obvious they figured out how to make the harder tires last. Thus now they can trade some of that off for more performance.
Agree on all counts.

As an aside, let me just say that I think Merc's strategy department is very good, and they only ever get flak because of the fact that, they're so consistently good, it's very obvious/shocking when they do mess up (and sometimes, when they have these mishaps, they are rather spectacular).

That being said, I think Mercedes are *even better* with their strategies when they're the hunters and not the hunted. It feels like, to me, they get aggressive, instead of going with their more conservative "try to keep track position at all times" approach.

Just an observation. What do you think?

dans79

I think they just do better when they're under pressure. As an organization, they don't penalize staff members for taking risks, and that has dividends in more ways than one.
201 105 104 9 9 7

MKlaus
MKlaus

this race win gives atleast a month for guys at base to fix/upgrade the car. even if at next race lewis finishes second, he would be even on points, like starting all over again in 3rd race. this has held off any head start max would have got. so in a month's time, they shoud bring a few solutions.

tpe
tpe

zibby43 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:48

That being said, I think Mercedes are *even better* with their strategies when they're the hunters and not the hunted. It feels like, to me, they get aggressive, instead of going with their more conservative "try to keep track position at all times" approach.

Just an observation. What do you think?
Mercedes strategy dept is the class of the field. Regardless if they are hunters or prays.
They always try to maximize the team's result. And usually they succeed. Yes, sometimes they fail, but I don't think anyone will match them any time soon. And the most amazing thing is they react on opponent's strategies so fast that sometime you think that they have already calculated that.

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

MKlaus wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 20:44
this race win gives atleast a month for guys at base to fix/upgrade the car. even if at next race lewis finishes second, he would be even on points, like starting all over again in 3rd race. this has held off any head start max would have got. so in a month's time, they shoud bring a few solutions.
Exactly.
This race was critical and to be honest I was very surprised how good the race pace was compared to Max.
However the car is still sketchy, but once it'll be sorted out, this car is gonna be a rocket (at least I hope) :)

zibby43
zibby43

tpe wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 20:50
And the most amazing thing is they react on opponent's strategies so fast that sometime you think that they have already calculated that.
Because they already have in their simulations. Very rarely does something so unusual come up, that throws in that one extra variable that leads to a Germany 2019. Or a Sakhir 2020.

Those rare mistakes, as I said in my OP, are simply magnified by virtue of being in leading positions when they happen.

godlameroso

Races like this cement Hamilton as one of the greatest, he won in a slower car. Verstappen has more pace than last year in the race. Hamilton just played it to perfection, got track position and had enough pace in hand to fend off Verstappen. Kept a cool head and just raced his heart out. That's a champion move. It's only going to get harder for Hamilton from here on out, so it'll be a question of consistency.
Saishū kōnā

zibby43
zibby43

Hamilton post-race radio.

"Not bad for an old man." Savage, Bono. :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 21:35
It's only going to get harder for Hamilton from here on out, so it'll be a question of consistency.
That's quite an assertion. Do you think that Red Bull's pace advantage will remain for the season and that Mercedes won't be able to get closer to them?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djones
djones

godlameroso wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 21:35
It's only going to get harder for Hamilton from here on out, so it'll be a question of consistency.
I suspect it's actually the total opposite.

Mercedes had engine and handling/aero issues in this race and were coming off the back of their worst pre-season testing ever...... Yet still won.

If I had to guess, I'd say this was one of only a handful of chances this season where Redbull could have won on pure pace.

P.s. Honda were the only one with engine reliability issues today and on multiple cars. This will also be a help for Mercedes.

PlatinumZealot

Hopefully RedBull will be punished for their dropped win, but the way the season goes with the different track types, and RedBull lack of car weaknesses so far... It will be a ding dong battle.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028