2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Such a strong performance from Lando, his head was in the right place throughout the race. Even when he had the moment with Leclerc, he didn’t sound flustered, it was more of an FYI remark, he looked very good on the brakes as well. Lando normally goes well around here, so that can account for quite a bit, but he’s shown that when he delivers, he’s pound for pound, a match for the front runners. He just needs to be around this performance level consistently.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Herr_Koos wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 07:19
SmallSoldier wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 04:30
Lando’s overtakes at the beginning of the race:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No last-lap Lando heroics this time, he did the hard work early on. Stellar drive!
Lando looks very comfortable on the breaks at turns 1 and 4, he was quite aggressive and confident with that aggression. The car also looked switched on very quickly at the start and after the restart, I don't know if that is just Lando or if it is also a trait of this years car, probably just the former, but it's nice to see.

If you've a car/driver who can generally make places at the start of the race you've got a massive plus on your hands.
Last edited by mwillems on 29 Mar 2021, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ground Effect wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 07:36
Such a strong performance from Lando, his head was in the right place throughout the race. Even when he had the moment with Leclerc, he didn’t sound flustered, it was more of an FYI remark, he looked very good on the brakes as well. Lando normally goes well around here, so that can account for quite a bit, but he’s shown that when he delivers, he’s pound for pound, a match for the front runners. He just needs to be around this performance level consistently.
I thought he was saying he was pushed wide because that turn was being policed (so that it doesn't get counted against his limit) but in the end we saw that the policing was not done, at least not fully and continously so it was more of a heat of the moment comment.

Getting ahead early is very important. These cars tend to run better when you are ahead.

Mansell89
Mansell89

So looking ahead to Imola, what type of track is it typically described as? With Bahrain said to be rear-limited, what would you describe Imola as and does anyone have any thoughts on how it will affect us and our competition based on the initial evidence in Bahrain?

mwillems

Mansell89 wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 09:34
So looking ahead to Imola, what type of track is it typically described as? With Bahrain said to be rear-limited, what would you describe Imola as and does anyone have any thoughts on how it will affect us and our competition based on the initial evidence in Bahrain?
Mclaren produced a track guide, but for last year (not that it has changed much lol):

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2020/emi ... ack-guide/

This is Oliver Turveys decription:

This is a proper old-school circuit that’s as fun to drive as it is challenging. It’s very fast, very narrow and there are lots of gradient changes. With minimal run-off areas, this track punishes mistakes. Unlike most of the circuits we visit, this one is anti-clockwise which, coupled with the high speeds, means it’s going to be tough on the drivers’ necks. With just one practice session this weekend, drivers are going to have to learn the track quickly if they want to nail it in qualifying – it’s going to put them under even more pressure. And, for that reason, all the homework and preparation drivers and teams do before this weekend could really make the difference. They will want to arrive here with a strong baseline setup for the car that allows them to hit the ground running.

That Mclaren website looks rather cool. It's a shame they aren't updating the track by track info the same way they were last year. Some of the links in this years list point to data from last year.

-Bandit

wowgr8
wowgr8

SmallSoldier wrote:

That straight-cut gears sound is fantastic. Sounds very very different from the other Mercedes powered cars, probably something to do with the microphone mixing

Lando was fantastic today, he laid down a marker and responded to everyone who thought Ricciardo would just walk all over him. The aggression in the overtakes was really good, he needs to keep it up all year

El Scorchio

wowgr8 wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 10:50
SmallSoldier wrote:

That straight-cut gears sound is fantastic. Sounds very very different from the other Mercedes powered cars, probably something to do with the microphone mixing

Lando was fantastic today, he laid down a marker and responded to everyone who thought Ricciardo would just walk all over him. The aggression in the overtakes was really good, he needs to keep it up all year
I think he's better than people give him credit for, possibly due to his youthful looks and personality. I'm sure Ricciardo will get a little more on top of the car over the coming races and will probably win the battle over the whole season because let's face it, it's tough for a new driver coming in when the other one knows team and car better, but Lando is no mug. It would be great if they have a close battle through the season, and I'm pretty sure both are going to be really fair and respectful of each other.

bauc

wowgr8 wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Or the fact that Mclaren is running their own gearbox?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

_cerber1

"We're close, we're not miles away from Mercedes and Red Bull compared to last season," Norris told RacingNews365.com and others. "I think we've closed the gap quite a bit and hopefully at some tracks we can close even more.

https://racingnews365.com/norris-mclare ... d-mercedes

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Herr_Koos wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

No last-lap Lando heroics this time, he did the hard work early on. Stellar drive!
It’s interesting that he did the same move on Gasly this race (outside of T4) as he did in 2019 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emag
Emag

Man, this three week wait for the next race is going to be painful.

_cerber1

There are two tracks ahead with high-speed corners, I would like to know how the team evaluates the car in them.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:Man, this three week wait for the next race is going to be painful.
I was thinking the same... We will have almost another start of the season in 3 weeks... It’s almost like summer brake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wowgr8
wowgr8

bauc wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 14:11
wowgr8 wrote:

Or the fact that Mclaren is running their own gearbox?
I don't think that noise comes from the transmission. Do F1 cars even use straight-cut gears? If so why don't we hear transmission whine from all the cars?

mwillems

_cerber1 wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 15:30
There are two tracks ahead with high-speed corners, I would like to know how the team evaluates the car in them.
Ricciardo said the car did well in the high speed free flowing corners of Bahrain, so he hopes the car will suit Imola.

As far as I am aware, that's the closest we have to an evaluation so far.

-Bandit