2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ispano6

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

Jolle wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:44
214270 wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:30
Jolle wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:27

Redbull likes then eager and shouty. Vettel was very cocky when he drove for them and Verstappen made a lot of hates with his “no” antics.
Tost might shake his head when Yuki’s radio messages get bleeped more then not, but Marko must be smiling.
You didn’t watch practice, even his engineer was losing patience with him over the radio.
I watched it and indeed, some raised eyebrows. But still… might anger the team or have their heads in their heads from time till time, but somehow the mothership likes those types.

Redbull drivers (apart from Sainz) normally get likes by fans after they switched team. At RedBull they are quite polarising.
Indeed, you need to have the heart of a lion and that feeds the ego. Schumacher, Alonso, Senna, Hunt, Max, etc were all considered a**holes to some extent due to their egos and expectations. Now, when the cars are so close in performance, the driver's experience really matters, that which Yuki hasn't had nearly as much of a chance as compared to seasoned drivers, let alone how short the practice sessions have become. Bahrain was a rare opportunity for Tsunoda to get accustom to the track, so the F1 format really has hurt the new drivers to their teams. That being said, Tsunoda and Mick Schumacher were definitely the cream to rise to the top of F2 and deserve their place in F1, everyone can see that. So Tsunoda really needs to overcome the naivety of youth and get head down and take some of the pressure off himself. Even the seasoned Perez when under pressure has seemed less experienced than Max, and being a full second off compared to Max in a front row capable car just goes to show much it matters to be one with your car. Tsunoda qualified in front of former champions Raikkonen and Vettel, so it's not like he's a slouch either. When your confidence in the car isn't 100% and you can't get the tires to switch on, the results will always be disappointing. I'd definitely be curious to see how Albon does in both the Rb16b and the AT02 relative to the two drivers struggling.

McMika98
McMika98

sprint car76 wrote:
08 May 2021, 20:44
Curious how perez outqualifies verstap. in one race and then gets the Red Bull treatment. Red bull seems to have a problem with second drivers. Since this is only the 4th race it will be interesting to see how this develops. Seems Merc have a pretty good handle on making both cars fast.
Max made mistake leaving the door for Perez. Albon matched Max's fastest quali in Japan of all places in his rookie year. Last year he was a sacrificial lamb to Max especially in quali.
Next race should give a good indication of if Perez can live up with Max.

ispano6

Fnatic1 wrote:
08 May 2021, 16:25
PER 9 tenths off in the so called fastest car. This says enough to me..
Perez was using a new seat this weekend, not sure if it was used in quali, but he actually was complaining about shoulder pain and discomfort that got progressively worse during quali. He's since said his shoulder is starting to feel better and that he should be ok for the race. But it would be bad if there was something with his new seat that causes that pain to come back during the race.

Wouter

214270 wrote:
08 May 2021, 20:30
Wouter wrote:
08 May 2021, 20:27
Vasconia wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:08

Tsunoda has some serious talent but the guy seems to lack patience. Maybe he was too encoured with his first great weekend in F1 and now he thinks that things are easy, they are not. He should be more humble and shut his mouth, these impertinent radios are not a good idea. #-o
https://i.imgur.com/8o60vvo.gif
Pay attention RUS. That’s about as long as it should take to apologise.
What do you mean by "Pay attention RUS."? English isn't my birth language.
The Power of Dreams!

RZS10

RUSsell ... should have apologized properly and earlier after his big whoopsie in Imola

MKlaus
MKlaus

RZS10 wrote:
08 May 2021, 21:13
RUSsell ... should have apologized properly and earlier after his big whoopsie in Imola
why? it was a big shunt where both drivers had a role to play and that cost valuable points to george and had every reason to be angry at a massively underperforming bottas. unlike tsunoda's childish outburst, he wasn't underperforming and blaming his team. entirely different situations.

MKlaus
MKlaus

ispano6 wrote:
08 May 2021, 20:55
Jolle wrote:
214270 wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:30

You didn’t watch practice, even his engineer was losing patience with him over the radio.
I watched it and indeed, some raised eyebrows. But still… might anger the team or have their heads in their heads from time till time, but somehow the mothership likes those types.

Redbull drivers (apart from Sainz) normally get likes by fans after they switched team. At RedBull they are quite polarising.
Indeed, you need to have the heart of a lion and that feeds the ego. Schumacher, Alonso, Senna, Hunt, Max, etc were all considered a**holes to some extent due to their egos and expectations. Now, when the cars are so close in performance, the driver's experience really matters, that which Yuki hasn't had nearly as much of a chance as compared to seasoned drivers, let alone how short the practice sessions have become. Bahrain was a rare opportunity for Tsunoda to get accustom to the track, so the F1 format really has hurt the new drivers to their teams. That being said, Tsunoda and Mick Schumacher were definitely the cream to rise to the top of F2 and deserve their place in F1, everyone can see that. So Tsunoda really needs to overcome the naivety of youth and get head down and take some of the pressure off himself. Even the seasoned Perez when under pressure has seemed less experienced than Max, and being a full second off compared to Max in a front row capable car just goes to show much it matters to be one with your car. Tsunoda qualified in front of former champions Raikkonen and Vettel, so it's not like he's a slouch either. When your confidence in the car isn't 100% and you can't get the tires to switch on, the results will always be disappointing. I'd definitely be curious to see how Albon does in both the Rb16b and the AT02 relative to the two drivers struggling.
without high quality performances, that attitude is a sure shot way out of team. all the greats you mentioned at the beginning of the post, were like duck to the pond and instantly made a positive impression with their performances. almost all of them butchered their team mates from the word go. that hasn't been the case with tsunoda, yet.

ispano6

MKlaus wrote:
08 May 2021, 21:44
ispano6 wrote:
Jolle wrote:

without high quality performances, that attitude is a sure shot way out of team. all the greats you mentioned at the beginning of the post, were like duck to the pond and instantly made a positive impression with their performances. almost all of them butchered their team mates from the word go. that hasn't been the case with tsunoda, yet.
He's 3 races into his F1 career, he scored points on his debut F1 race. Only driver on the grid born after the year 2000. Sure, he's young, some can argue they put him in F1 too early. At the end of the day, all that matters is that he improves. He doesn't need people like you to know where his faults are, he's an F1 driver for christ sake. He just needs to build back his confidence.

MKlaus
MKlaus

ispano6 wrote:
08 May 2021, 21:55
MKlaus wrote:
08 May 2021, 21:44
ispano6 wrote:

He's 3 races into his F1 career, he scored points on his debut F1 race. Only driver on the grid born after the year 2000. Sure, he's young, some can argue they put him in F1 too early. At the end of the day, all that matters is that he improves. He doesn't need people like you to know where his faults are, he's an F1 driver for christ sake. He just needs to build back his confidence.
can't you keep an argument civil? is it necessary to make it personal? control your emotions please. if you don't like my post, ignore it. :roll:

ispano6

MKlaus wrote:
08 May 2021, 21:57
can't you keep an argument civil? is it necessary to make it personal? control your emotions please. if you don't like my post, ignore it. :roll:
Here's what you said:
any idea who is going to replace tsunoda at alpha tauri mid season? the guy is struggling compared to gasly. isn't even close.
it appears as if he lacks the temperament to learn and improve. he seems to be impatient, frustrated and angry in the car. gasly has made leaps and bounds progress since he was expelled. if this how it goes for tsunoda, i don't think he would last the whole season. good thing for him is, there is no genuinely talented young driver in the red bull driver academy right now who is ready to jump in.
unlike tsunoda's childish outburst, he wasn't underperforming and blaming his team. entirely different situations.
Ross Brawn seemed to be instantly impressed with Tsunoda's Bahrain performance. I trust his opinion any day over yours! When you post childish comments yourself, you should expect someone to respond. You could also ignore my posts too. You could also start a Yuki Tsunoda rant thread and we can end the discussion here.

politburo
politburo

ispano6 wrote:
08 May 2021, 21:55
Given the amount of criticism and online hate F1 fans give to Mazepin, whether deserved or not, I am not surprised that some people are already judging Tsunoda after 4 races. Also, the same people tend to forget he is a rookie with a race-winning teammate. He has made many mistakes, but he is learning the ropes just the hard way through adversity - F2 had limited media obligations and for the most part, he was winning races and doing well so he probably wasn't used to this level of attention and scrutiny.

However, he has the talent and the will to perform well, he will pull through he just has to stay headstrong and worry about the things he can control, such as mistake-free driving and car setup - easier said than done from my perspective of course. It's true, all that matters at this point is that he improves, I hope he has learned now to not air all his grievances out to the media.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Sieper

Yes, very reasonable, fair and correct reply, and that from the politburo 😁

El Scorchio

He will have good days and bad days. It’s only natural with his experience. (Or lack of) He just needs to let his driving do the talking and not say anything stupid. Hopefully he’s learned from today.

LM10
LM10

It’s always different feedback compared to my team-mate, even when we try the opposite. I have a little bit question mark [if it] is the same car - of course it’s the same car, but just the character of the car is just too different.
Maybe, of course, it’s a different driving style. But yeah, I don’t know, I don’t understand what happened, why I’m struggling this much.
That's what Yuki told to TV reporters. Imaging being a rookie and questioning the car and whether the team might have given you the same equipment as your team mate instead of searching for mistakes on your side. #-o
That's the most arrogant and disrespectful behaviour I can remember from any rookie. And I'm not even sure that will change massively as some people hope or expect. Turns out he's been like that in F3 and F2 as well, swearing all over the radio and shouting at his engineer.
I found out his sporting hero is Cristiano Ronaldo, who obviously is known for thinking he's sort of infallible. Not the best role model if Yuki must change his attitude. :lol:

ringo

El Scorchio wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:15
MKlaus wrote:
08 May 2021, 19:04
vanburin wrote:
08 May 2021, 18:53

Where there is smoke, there is fire? I find it amazing this is already even a talking point only mid-way through the 4th race weekend.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3141 ... mate-gasly
it appears as if he lacks the temperament to learn and improve. he seems to be impatient, frustrated and angry in the car. gasly has made leaps and bounds progress since he was expelled. if this how it goes for tsunoda, i don't think he would last the whole season. good thing for him is, there is no genuinely talented young driver in the red bull driver academy right now who is ready to jump in.
Agree. He didn’t handle today well and I don’t think the team are going to take too kindly to what he said about the car and also insinuated about Gasly’s car. Cardinal sin number one.

Hopefully someone will put a friendly hand on his shoulder and just offer him a little advice and guidance. They can excuse a few bad days at the office in a driver so young but you need to be professional on the radio and in interviews where the world is listening. Albon is only a phone call away....
Yuki is glued to that Honda engine. He isnt going anywhere. He will leave only after Honda leaves F1.
For Sure!!