2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

As ever, it’s all extremes and the reality is somewhere in the middle. Those who were so quick to proclaim Tsunoda’s brilliance after going well in testing (testing!) and practice for the first gp...that was obviously pretty ridiculous. He had showed a lot of good pace in F2 but it was way too soon to comment on his F1 performance.

Now, he’s doing some silly things, not making the most of the car he has, but he’s young and inexperienced and he has got talent. So he’s neither one thing nor the other - he’s not this wunderkind just because he gets to drive a much better car than, say, Mick (who, on the flip side, gets the benefit of learning slowly out of the spotlight); nor is he necessarily reckless or hot-headed or whatever (he’s only had three races).

In a couple of years we’ll know much more about what he’s about but let’s hold off any proclamations before then.

MKlaus
MKlaus

ispano6 wrote:
08 May 2021, 22:05
MKlaus wrote:
08 May 2021, 21:57
can't you keep an argument civil? is it necessary to make it personal? control your emotions please. if you don't like my post, ignore it. :roll:
Here's what you said:
any idea who is going to replace tsunoda at alpha tauri mid season? the guy is struggling compared to gasly. isn't even close.
it appears as if he lacks the temperament to learn and improve. he seems to be impatient, frustrated and angry in the car. gasly has made leaps and bounds progress since he was expelled. if this how it goes for tsunoda, i don't think he would last the whole season. good thing for him is, there is no genuinely talented young driver in the red bull driver academy right now who is ready to jump in.
unlike tsunoda's childish outburst, he wasn't underperforming and blaming his team. entirely different situations.
without high quality performances, that attitude is a sure shot way out of team. all the greats you mentioned at the beginning of the post, were like duck to the pond and instantly made a positive impression with their performances. almost all of them butchered their team mates from the word go. that hasn't been the case with tsunoda, yet.
Ross Brawn seemed to be instantly impressed with Tsunoda's Bahrain performance. I trust his opinion any day over yours! When you post childish comments yourself, you should expect someone to respond. You could also ignore my posts too. You could also start a Yuki Tsunoda rant thread and we can end the discussion here.
i care a damn for your opinion and who you take as a source for it, for as long as you make it personal instead of keeping it civil. your emotions as a japanese are out of control here. i didn't come offending you and if you take a driver's criticism personally, you have a problem and that makes you attack me personally with all nonsense.
Last edited by MKlaus on 09 May 2021, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.

djones
djones

I have not seen him say the words, but looking at them on paper I think it's being taken the wrong way.

English is not his first language and he literally says in the same speech "of course it’s the same car".

I read what he said and see it as him just saying he does not understand the reason... nothing more sister than that.

yelistener

I wonder what was going on with the cars waiting for others to coming out first, particularly in Q3. I mean, that surely looked like a tow-grabbing competition like what would happen in Monza, but a tow in Spain? How the heck would that be any helpful in Barcelona? Maybe due to the windy condition I guess, that the teams found the wind would blow away the dirty air in corners anyway and in the meantime a tow at the main straight was quite worthy due to the head wind?

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

djones wrote:
09 May 2021, 00:56
I have not seen him say the words, but looking at them on paper I think it's being taken the wrong way.

English is not his first language and he literally says in the same speech "of course it’s the same car".

I read what he said and see it as him just saying he does not understand the reason... nothing more sister than that.
I agree. it is lost in translation. He was trying to say our setups are very different...

LHamilton
LHamilton

Russell jumps into a Mercedes and qualifies there or thereabouts with Bottas in Sahkir, in a car that is to small for him. Russell complained about parts being sore, but still was able to put a competitive lap in. Hamilton was ill in qualifying for the German GP 2019, but managed to stick it on pole despite that. Roughly .350 to second and third place. Perez has "a bit" of shoulder pain and qualifies 9 tenths behind his teammate in his fourth race in the team, with testing included as well. I'm not buying that this shoulder thing is a big reason as to why he is 9 tenths off. He was struggling all weekend by the looks of it in the practice sessions.

I'll give him that some things worked against him. Second run was generally a bit slower than the first and some parts of that pain he had might've had some influence on him. So ideally, he would've probably been fourth given the time difference between the top two cars and the other field. So maybe in the realms of 0,5-0,7 off Verstappen. He was often something like 0,8 off in the quali runs in the practice sessions, so I even give him the benefit of doubt that he improves himself from practice to qualy. But I guess the excuses will come thick and fast. After the race he will say that his race was compromised due to being in traffic, and next race in Monaco (if things still doesn't go his way) he will say that he hasn't had a clean weekend yet, and that he needs time. Wasn't time on of the factors as to why Perez was chosen? So that the bedding-in-time would be a lot smaller than the less experience ones (i.e Albon).

This was for me the race where the 'newer' guys became more comfortable in their cars, because the next two races are both street circuits with one being Monaco. So things aren't to get any easier. After Baku we have Turkey, which might still be struggling with grip issues due to the new resurface. So that might also be tricky. And that's almost a third of the calendar.

Sainz seems to have slotted in nice at Ferrari. Been competitive from testing onwards. Alonso has been away from the sport for two years, so I would give him more time than the others. Don't really know what happend in Q3, but looked overall in the weekend to have edged closer to Ocon. Ricciardo looks closer to Norris this weekend. Vettel seems like he generally hasn't. So that would probably lean towards that most of the newer guys have made steps bar Vettel and Perez, who ironically is probably the guys you expected to be on top of things the quickest to due their experience levels. Hopefully for their sake the race will give them enough information to take it into the next rounds which will be tough.

In regards to the race, I'm looking forward to the strategy aspect. I'm not sure we will see a whole lot of overtaking, but it just might be interesting from the tyre situation and the fact that the tyres aren't getting to much rest given the new turn 10. On top of that we might see some difference in tyre selection given that Ferrari seemlingly don't liken the medium tyre too much. I'm expecting a Hamilton win here. I think they just might have the superior tyre management thus far, and that will be key. Verstappen I feel must jump Hamilton at the start to have any chance at the win, especially since he seems to be on his own against the two Mercs. In terms of the battle behind the podium, it's really hard to say. So close that it just might come to what tyres are used on which cars.

LM10
LM10

foxmulder_ms wrote:
09 May 2021, 04:35
djones wrote:

I agree. it is lost in translation. He was trying to say our setups are very different...
Which translation are you talking about? These are direct english quotes from him. „I have a little bit question mark if it is the same car” - doesn’t sound like he was trying to say that their setups were very different.
He would have not apologized if he had not meant it the way it gave the impression of. He’s not a kid anymore just because he looks like one. He’ll turn 21 in 2 days.

mafeotul
mafeotul

LHamilton wrote:
09 May 2021, 06:20
Russell jumps into a Mercedes and qualifies there or thereabouts with Bottas in Sahkir, in a car that is to small for him. Russell complained about parts being sore, but still was able to put a competitive lap in. Hamilton was ill in qualifying for the German GP 2019, but managed to stick it on pole despite that. Roughly .350 to second and third place. Perez has "a bit" of shoulder pain and qualifies 9 tenths behind his teammate in his fourth race in the team, with testing included as well. I'm not buying that this shoulder thing is a big reason as to why he is 9 tenths off. He was struggling all weekend by the looks of it in the practice sessions.

I'll give him that some things worked against him. Second run was generally a bit slower than the first and some parts of that pain he had might've had some influence on him. So ideally, he would've probably been fourth given the time difference between the top two cars and the other field. So maybe in the realms of 0,5-0,7 off Verstappen. He was often something like 0,8 off in the quali runs in the practice sessions, so I even give him the benefit of doubt that he improves himself from practice to qualy. But I guess the excuses will come thick and fast. After the race he will say that his race was compromised due to being in traffic, and next race in Monaco (if things still doesn't go his way) he will say that he hasn't had a clean weekend yet, and that he needs time. Wasn't time on of the factors as to why Perez was chosen? So that the bedding-in-time would be a lot smaller than the less experience ones (i.e Albon).

This was for me the race where the 'newer' guys became more comfortable in their cars, because the next two races are both street circuits with one being Monaco. So things aren't to get any easier. After Baku we have Turkey, which might still be struggling with grip issues due to the new resurface. So that might also be tricky. And that's almost a third of the calendar.

Sainz seems to have slotted in nice at Ferrari. Been competitive from testing onwards. Alonso has been away from the sport for two years, so I would give him more time than the others. Don't really know what happend in Q3, but looked overall in the weekend to have edged closer to Ocon. Ricciardo looks closer to Norris this weekend. Vettel seems like he generally hasn't. So that would probably lean towards that most of the newer guys have made steps bar Vettel and Perez, who ironically is probably the guys you expected to be on top of things the quickest to due their experience levels. Hopefully for their sake the race will give them enough information to take it into the next rounds which will be tough.

In regards to the race, I'm looking forward to the strategy aspect. I'm not sure we will see a whole lot of overtaking, but it just might be interesting from the tyre situation and the fact that the tyres aren't getting to much rest given the new turn 10. On top of that we might see some difference in tyre selection given that Ferrari seemlingly don't liken the medium tyre too much. I'm expecting a Hamilton win here. I think they just might have the superior tyre management thus far, and that will be key. Verstappen I feel must jump Hamilton at the start to have any chance at the win, especially since he seems to be on his own against the two Mercs. In terms of the battle behind the podium, it's really hard to say. So close that it just might come to what tyres are used on which cars.

The reality is that we have seen the struggle of the second seat AGAIN! Let's not forget Albon also had a decent ousting initially in the team. Right after they dropped Gasly. The factor to consider here, is actually how MUCH better is the car this year both in comparison with the Grid and with Mercedes. Not only that, Sergio is not Albon or Gasly. He's about three levels above. Then you factor in the years of experience and the picture paints itself really. Why is it now for some people so hard to both accept and realise that despite all the talk the entire team revolves around Max. I'm talking car development and set-up.

If you ask me, this is the year the Bulls can do it ( with a big "if" ), or at least get as close to it as possible.

Going back to Sergio, there are a million factors to take into consideration, but as far as i can see this is driver number 3 in the second car ( Gasly/Albon/Perez) that has the same behaviour, the same layout of performances, the same results at the end. I know that Max wasn't outqualified since Ricc, but like i said, you can factor in Sergio's experience there. When it comes to Sunday's though, the reality speaks volumes.

In regards to this race, unless Max gets ahead of Hamilton at start it's Merc 3 - RedBull 1. It's as simple as that.

PS: Remember the start of 2019? I can smell the same thing here. As well as, Merc hasn't upgraded their car yet. That's when things will get funny for real. If they can close the gap, just by understanding, it will be a different ball game when they properly invest in it.

Wouter

foxmulder_ms wrote:
djones wrote:

It's a bit difficult for me to understand English, he also doesn't know well how to say what he means, because English isn't his birth language, so maybe other people can hear what he means to say.

The Power of Dreams!

mafeotul
mafeotul

Wouter wrote:
09 May 2021, 08:45
foxmulder_ms wrote:
djones wrote:

It's a bit difficult for me to understand English, he also doesn't know well how to say what he means, because English isn't his birth language, so maybe other people can hear what he means to say.

So many sports give the option of a direct translator, i really don't understand why this option doesnt exist in F1, it's so easy to pick on words like vultures but the kid maybe wanted to say something else. This media BS has to be clamped down a bit. Easy to have an opinion, and to point, quite difficult to drive an F1 car.

mafeotul
mafeotul

Interesting tactical battle here. 2 stop or 1 stop? Soft Medium Medium for the Mercs? or a boring Soft to Hard?

Wouter

RZS10 wrote:
08 May 2021, 21:13
RUSsell ... should have apologized properly and earlier after his big whoopsie in Imola
Thank you for explaining RUS. I should have known that. #-o
The Power of Dreams!

RZS10

Happens to the best of us ;)

Wouter

RZS10 wrote:
09 May 2021, 11:02
Happens to the best of us ;)
I thought RUS was an abbreviation for some English phrase that the young people use a lot these days
and that I don't know, those expressions. :lol:
The Power of Dreams!

_cerber1

By @hlawiczka