2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

Correction, I was looking at this map that doesn't actually consider turn 2 and 4 turns anymore.

201 105 104 9 9 7

RZS10

Juzh wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:27
Hamilton was on a push lap and verstappen let him trough the lap before, but then hamilton just after being let trough in S3 decided to stomp on brakes and basically decided to hinder verstappen's lap. He didn't complete a flying lap and then went into pits the lap after, but not before holding up verstappen in T6-T7.
Ah alright, makes more sense, thanks.

So Max let Lewis through, who on the following lap did not go for it but ended up being on the outside in that corner, where Max felt it cost him some time, before going into the pits - is that the order of events or were there two similar instances? It's not quite clear from your post.

And yea, Latifi would have provided a tiny bit of a tow actually, i edited my post because i initially assumed they just moved the radio, in the context of Max coming together on track with Latifi in both previous FPs the statement "every time" would have made more sense since there was no instance of Lewis being in his way in previous sessions, at least nothing that was televised so it's always good to have people with access to more info who can provide the missing context ... hehe

Juzh

RZS10 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:42
Juzh wrote:
Hamilton was on a push lap and verstappen let him trough the lap before, but then hamilton just after being let trough in S3 decided to stomp on brakes and basically decided to hinder verstappen's lap. He didn't complete a flying lap and then went into pits the lap after, but not before holding up verstappen in T6-T7.

So Max let Lewis through, who on the following lap did not go for it but ended up being on the outside in that corner, where Max felt it cost him some time, before going into the pits - is that the order of events or were there two similar instances? It's not quite clear from your post.
You nailed it.

Sieper

RZS10 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:18
Sieper wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:01
Mercedes still fastest, and 2 tenths is a wide margin. Hamilton did hinder Max on his best lap Ofcourse, but still, that is not 2 tenths.
Didn't he get purple in that sector?

Edit: it was about Hamilton but it's a bit weird, isn't it ... did they already have any coming together on track this weekend?

And with traffic it's really hard to tell ... 2tenths can be lost quite easily because of a car in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I think it was about the Hamilton moment too. They didn’t have any such moments this weekend but it happened twice before this year.

siskue2005

Juzh wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:44
RZS10 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:42
Juzh wrote:

You nailed it.
Ok, so 5 place drop for Lewis?

dans79

Sieper wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:39
Almost nobody here does that and it serves no purpose.
It happens a lot, the posts are just getting removed by the moderation staff! I report my fair share of them every race weekend.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Sieper

dans79 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:47
Sieper wrote:
Almost nobody here does that and it serves no purpose.
It happens a lot, the posts are just getting removed by the moderation staff!
Ok, as they should. I could still find the quotes I made back though. Please, just don’t do it. It only angers people. Just come back on the topic, like f.e. RZS10 above. That way we can learn what happened and share our view (and alter our viewpoints) much better. Otherwise heels just get dug deeper in the mud.

siskue2005

214270 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:33
I just went back and watched Max's onboard (f1tv has the replay up), and he wasn't hindered by either Latifi or Lewis.

He passed Latifi on the strait (and might have even gotten a little help).

Lewis was well in front through turn 4, and in front and well off the racing line entering turn 5.
Seems like VER doing a Michael Jordan “I took it personally”. He needs to motivate himself and is using any such incident even the non-existent/minor ones to basically anger himself and channel that into performance.
It feels like Max is feeling the heat of the championship... to get worked up like that for a an incident were Lewis was on the outside of turn 7, which practically didn't impede him at all, just Max getting spooked by a car being there.. like Ant Davidson said Lewis can't disappear of the track to the nearest air filed when Max comes

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Are Mercedes that quick, or have they shown their hand and dialed the engine to 9 already?

siskue2005

Fulcrum wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 14:00
Are Mercedes that quick, or have they shown their hand and dialed the engine to 9 already?
Ant Davidson was saying Merc usually don't do any quly race with full engine at 9 and do a quly sim.... so according to Ant maybe they r changing their approach to give them more confidence and car improvement during thr actual event

Sieper

siskue2005 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:57
214270 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:33
I just went back and watched Max's onboard (f1tv has the replay up), and he wasn't hindered by either Latifi or Lewis.

He passed Latifi on the strait (and might have even gotten a little help).

Lewis was well in front through turn 4, and in front and well off the racing line entering turn 5.
Seems like VER doing a Michael Jordan “I took it personally”. He needs to motivate himself and is using any such incident even the non-existent/minor ones to basically anger himself and channel that into performance.
It feels like Max is feeling the heat of the championship... to get worked up like that for a an incident were Lewis was on the outside of turn 7, which practically didn't impede him at all, just Max getting spooked by a car being there.. like Ant Davidson said Lewis can't disappear of the track to the nearest air filed when Max comes
No, but he can make sure he isn’t there. Like Max did for him the lap before. It was max his one real hot lap on fresh reds with low fuel. In any case, just FP so we will see later who takes pole.

siskue2005

Sieper wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 14:05
siskue2005 wrote:
214270 wrote:

No, but he can make sure he isn’t there. Like Max did for him the lap before. It was max his one real hot lap on fresh reds with low fuel. In any case, just FP so we will see later who takes pole.
Lewis has to do his own things with his car... he can't just roll over like a puppy for Max... when Max comes within his range the team will inform him to move over on this corner, that's exactly what Lewis did within the rules set by FIA. The world doesn't spin around Max you know

lh13
lh13

siskue2005 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 14:07
Sieper wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

Lewis has to do his own things with his car... he can't just roll over like a puppy for Max... when Max comes within his range the team will inform him to move over on this corner, that's exactly what Lewis did within the rules set by FIA. The world doesn't spin around Max you know
No one's stopping him though.

PlatinumZealot

Sieper wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:25
Purple in sector 3 only. Did he get hindered by Latifi earlier in the lap? Was not televised and I don’t have f1 tv streams to follow the driver. Let’s hope (from my point of view) he ca still fight for pole. From where I am standing Merc is again 2 of the 3 fastest cars and Hamilton on pole.
You say repeatedly that Mercedes is the fastest on a regular basis but I think you're a RedBull guy at heart.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Juzh

siskue2005 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 14:07
Sieper wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

He's just being a dick. Max lets him trough on good faith, then brakes and blocks him. No other way to spin it. Waiting for another plausible explanation.

edit. I think max is actually too kind on track to other drivers this year. He should engage more in playing these games and occasionaly "accidentally" block someone elses lap or two.
Last edited by Juzh on 26 Jun 2021, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.