2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

What about earlier years? He didn't seem to be having those problems with the Red Bull and Renault cars.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I just hope Lando maximises his Q3 laps, there’s potential, but the margins are so fine!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ScottR267
ScottR267

So starting P3 tomorrow for Lando! Brilliant drive that

Xero

Nailed both laps, superb Lando!

Macklaren
Macklaren

another inherited P3 start in Styria. Another P3 finish tomorrow??!!

Darth-Piekus

Superb lap. We just saw a repeat of Imola in terms of car performance. The car hasn't lost speed compared to the first two. It's just that the last two races were favored by Red Bull and Mercedes.

Emag
Emag

Great lap by Lando. He even reported a mistake in T1. Could have probably sneaked in ahead of Ham in a perfect world. Nevertheless, amazing job by him.

Still very disappointed with Daniel though.

billamend
billamend

FittingMechanics wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 15:47
I've watched one of the Ricciardo videos where Button was visiting him and from their banter I got the impression that Ricciardo didn't really know how to setup a car. Perhaps he learned it, but that was my takeaway.

If the car is hard to setup/drive, it's possible Ricciardo isn't able to figure it out.
Some mechanics have reported that Daniel doesn’t like to spent time tinkering and understanding the technical parts of the sport. They even said that they didn’t like working with him. IIRC this was a Renault mechanic.
Last edited by billamend on 26 Jun 2021, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

There must have been some sort of issue, his drop off in performance is alarming!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

dfegan358
dfegan358

Ricciardo is very arrogant and thought he was fastest man in f1. I’m not disappointed he’s getting schooled by Lando.

His performance has been poor, if he’s as good as he thinks, he would have adapted to the Car by now. He better get his act together or he will driving at back of grid sooner than ever challenging for a championship

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Lando’s vs Ricciardo’s Q2 Laps:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the EDGE
the EDGE

An amazing result, but what a tale of 2 halves

If they haven’t changed RICs chassis already, then they need to, and they need to tell him they found something wrong with it

He looked proper dejected in his interview, and like a man with no answers, and that’s not great for his confidence.

I’m still not doubting his ability, and I’m certainly not going to believe stuff about his inability to set up a car… like the result he achieved in F1 and junior categories were just flukes, but he does have a lot of work to do

Lando on the other hand has earned himself a holiday, without doubt one of the top 3, if not top 2 drivers on the grid this year… so glade McLaren locked his contract down quickly, I hope their paying him handsomely

His best qualifying performance of the year, I can’t wait to see what he can do tomorrow

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

NOR is just so much more aggressive in the high speed stuff. Later breaking, higher cornering speed, throwing the car in. Confidence it will do what he demands and on throttle again. RIC just looks hesitant/apprehensive there. the tenth lost in the first 1/3rd of the lap then just increases by 0.5sec in s2-s3. S3 is especially revealing. The difference between a driver with supreme confidence in a car on the limit and someone driving well below of what the car is capable off

the EDGE
the EDGE

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:13
NOR is just so much more aggressive in the high speed stuff. Later breaking, higher cornering speed, throwing the car in. Confidence it will do what he demands and on throttle again. RIC just looks hesitant/apprehensive there. the tenth lost in the first 1/3rd of the lap then just increases by 0.5sec in s2-s3. S3 is especially revealing. The difference between a driver with supreme confidence in a car on the limit and someone driving well below of what the car is capable off
May be he needs to just do a bunch of ‘F-it all’ laps and if he crashes then he crashes

It’s the quickest way to find the limit in my opinion

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

the EDGE wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:24
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:13
May be he needs to just do a bunch of ‘F-it all’ laps and if he crashes then he crashes

It’s the quickest way to find the limit in my opinion
I don’t disagree! I think it’s exactly what he seems to need. I mean the car looks planted enough. No extra big corrections that eat tenths. So it’s just confidence that the car will turn in/won’t lock up/and the back end won’t step out mid corner. Not sure how Lando makes it work in comparison to RIC, it may be driver style related. But SAI didn’t struggle with the car behaviour and was on par with Lando or even marginally faster. So it very much seems a problem unique to RIC not being able to drive around the problem.
Reminiscent of VET!