2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2021 Styrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, June 25 - 27

lh13 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 16:45
Sieper wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 16:38
It also shows how good Lando is. Somewhere someone was saying we might see Russell at Mclaren next year. I don’t think so, I really hope Ricciardo will come good, but that would be a prospect also. They were both super quick in Formula 2 as well. Russell impressed me more back then, but his team was also better imho.
I think Russell deserves more credit even now. The guy just out-qualified a Ferrari, an Aston Martin and a McLaren, in a Williams. And some fans of a certain driver still don't think he is qualified enough for the 2nd Mercedes seat.
It sounds a bit like I am not impressed with him now, which isn’t true. But it is also just so hard to make anything about it now. Latifi was also up to p16 today. No points ever in the Williams. A few weird moments, not outqualifying Bottas in the Merc. Plus, that race Max was out. That was a shame for Russell too. It would have been great to see them both compete.

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

dans79 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:11
atanatizante wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:04
so it`s basicaly a M-H race for tomorrow isn`t it? and both RB and Merc didn`t bet on wet race?
Perez starts on the softs, so he's either going to have to go really slow in his first stint, or two stop.
Perez is going to have a natural undercut on Mercs and his job seems to be played in the 2nd stints. Merc on Mediums have to go longer than Perez on softs and cannot cover him with undercuts as they would be stopping too soon for the mediums.

siskue2005

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:08
siskue2005 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:57
214270 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 13:39

Seems like VER doing a Michael Jordan “I took it personally”. He needs to motivate himself and is using any such incident even the non-existent/minor ones to basically anger himself and channel that into performance.
It feels like Max is feeling the heat of the championship... to get worked up like that for a an incident were Lewis was on the outside of turn 7, which practically didn't impede him at all, just Max getting spooked by a car being there.. like Ant Davidson said Lewis can't disappear of the track to the nearest air filed when Max comes
Time to calm down and self reflect for a bit, don’t you think? Or would you accuse other drivers of "feeling the heat" as well for their multiple lock-ups in quali?

Seems to me that the mind games are affecting the fans more than the drivers.

Anyways...looking forward to another epic battle between VER and HAM tomorrow. This season will be an all time classic.
Lol, it was Max and his fans getting worked for an incident in fp3. :lol:
Yes every driver feels the heat, it's the ones who can over come that are the best of the best.

Anyways as I said before it was just Max sandbagging a bit and merc showing their hand in fp3. Redbull will superior car since Monaco.

Let's wait for race tomorrow anything can happen

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

atanatizante wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 16:51
So can we saw that with this short track, with 3 straights and just 6 real corners, RB with their higher top speed is gaining some 2,5 tenths and that`s something bigger than those 3,5 tenths they were gaining at Paul Ricard ...
The Redbull has very good traction coming out of the medium-slow corners, it benefits on the straights. Probably the Mercedes will be good on Silverstone, on the fast corner entries.

Artur Craft

atanatizante wrote:
So can we saw that with this short track, with 3 straights and just 6 real corners, RB with their higher top speed is gaining some 2,5 tenths and that`s something bigger than those 3,5 tenths they were gaining at Paul Ricard ...
It has 7 real corners, at least the way I count it. Being this minimalist is why drivers are generally close to each other, Ricciardo apart.
erudite450 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 16:57
What wouldn't I give to anyone who's willing to get on Di Resta's nerves?
I don´t follow Sky´s broadcast. When I watch F1, I do with my local channel(just for the images) on mute. But, the impression I get is that people tend to loath Di Resta because, if I understood correctly, he´s the only one on the Sky team who is not aboard the Hamilton hype train. I remember many years ago when I saw a few bits from UK´s Sky how Crofty, Brundle, Herbert.... are all hyping everything Hamilton does and when the result is not good enough they immediately start saying other drivers´ cars are better and etc....

Is that it, is PDR hated just because he doesn´t conform to the LH cult or is there more to it?

the EDGE
the EDGE

grubschumi13 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:29
dans79 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
so it`s basicaly a M-H race for tomorrow isn`t it? and both RB and Merc didn`t bet on wet race?
Perez starts on the softs, so he's either going to have to go really slow in his first stint, or two stop.
Perez is going to have a natural undercut on Mercs and his job seems to be played in the 2nd stints. Merc on Mediums have to go longer than Perez on softs and cannot cover him with undercuts as they would be stopping too soon for the mediums.
That only works if Perez can come out in some clean air

Trouble is it’s a very short lap, and the cars performances are pretty dam close together, So if the bottom half of the grid are starting on medium tires and have little wear then he may just find himself Stuck slowly passing them whilst Lewis opens up a gap with the over-cut

siskue2005

NL_Fer wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:32
atanatizante wrote:
The Redbull has very good traction coming out of the medium-slow corners, it benefits on the straights. Probably the Mercedes will be good on Silverstone, on the fast corner entries.
Looks like Redbul has better car overall, it is now going fast in every circuit. Not expecting merc to be faster in Silverstone... going to be similar to austria or redbull having even more gap to merc

dans79

grubschumi13 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:29
dans79 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
I wouldn't call stopping early and making your final stint even longer a natural undercut.

I'd call that a compromise because you weren't sure you'd make it out of Q2 based on your initial run.
201 105 104 9 9 7

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

siskue2005 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:35
NL_Fer wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:32
atanatizante wrote:
Looks like Redbul has better car overall, it is now going fast in every circuit. Not expecting merc to be faster in Silverstone... going to be similar to austria or redbull having even more gap to merc
Agree. RB beat the monster of the car Mercs had last year, why would be any different this year. Will be a slam dunk.

Artur Craft

grubschumi13 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 16:03
Mercedes is the fastest car no doubt this weekend. Mercedes 2 and 3 RBR 1 and 5. Max is making that RBR look competitive. What a driver.
Max is almost always putting RB where it doesn´t quite belong, isn´t he?!

LH, on the other hand, again being outqualified by Bottas on a dry Spielberg QLF. I can only remember him beating Bottas on the wet QLF last year. Not a good record at all. One of Hamilton´s biggest strengths, probably his biggest, is abnormal ability under braking and this track has very few of that which might explain his relative lack of speed

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Artur Craft wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:44
grubschumi13 wrote:
Mercedes is the fastest car no doubt this weekend. Mercedes 2 and 3 RBR 1 and 5. Max is making that RBR look competitive. What a driver.
Max is almost always putting RB where it doesn´t quite belong, isn´t he?!

LH, on the other hand, again being outqualified by Bottas on a dry Spielberg QLF. I can only remember him beating Bottas on the wet QLF last year. Not a good record at all. One of Hamilton´s biggest strengths, probably his biggest, is abnormal ability under braking and this track has very few of that which might explain his relative lack of speed
3 hundredths of a second is not "lack of speed" :lol:

What is wrong with people here? That's like 4 hundreths of a percent of the entire lap in time difference.

It's close, Honda and RedBull have done a great, only have to look at RB and AT to see that, and Max is driving the wheels off of it.

Merc has made some dumb mistakes this year, and their car looks like it handles like a dump truck, and has since the first time it publicly ran in the test.
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 26 Jun 2021, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

RZS10

+3 for Yuki

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

dans79 wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
If they want to be aggressive, 2-stop, Soft-Medium-Soft or Soft-Medium-Medium, although it doesn't suit Perez's style of driving, and I'm not sure what his tyre allocation is.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Artur Craft wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 17:33
atanatizante wrote:
It has 7 real corners, at least the way I count it. Being this minimalist is why drivers are generally close to each other, Ricciardo apart.
erudite450 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 16:57
What wouldn't I give to anyone who's willing to get on Di Resta's nerves?
I don´t follow Sky´s broadcast. When I watch F1, I do with my local channel(just for the images) on mute. But, the impression I get is that people tend to loath Di Resta because, if I understood correctly, he´s the only one on the Sky team who is not aboard the Hamilton hype train. I remember many years ago when I saw a few bits from UK´s Sky how Crofty, Brundle, Herbert.... are all hyping everything Hamilton does and when the result is not good enough they immediately start saying other drivers´ cars are better and etc....

Is that it, is PDR hated just because he doesn´t conform to the LH cult or is there more to it?
No I think PDR is very well respected, he really knows his stuff, has a natural talent & speaks the truth. Something we like, as you are correct, most of the British commentary team are slight biased towards Lewis… but what do you expect, they are British after all

The fact that F1 choose their broadcast for F1 tv is not their fault

Artur Craft

ringo wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 16:14
grubschumi13 wrote:
Give me some of what you are smoking.
That's all i can say. :lol:
whatever it is, it´s giving him clarity unlike the hopium most F1 fans smoke, which gives them some dellusional thoughts. RB is competitive but not a dominant car, otherwise Perez would be confortably at P2 but the driver at such position is one who I rate lower than Sergio.....