2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Chicane
Chicane

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

There was no persisting PU issue. He pins his entire race on being struck in traffic when Leclerc carved through the field like a knife through butter with that Ferrari engine.
Quickshifter

proteus

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 16:40
Emag wrote:Ferrari had very good pace today. A little bit scared for next week. Need Ricciardo closer next time around.
Ferrari had great pace… Leclerc benefited from running on Mediums in the last stint… Carlos pace was comparable to Lando’s who seemingly was just managing the gap to 6th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Next week there will be softer tyres, so maybe Ferrari will eat them faster.....just seen than there will be harder tyres next time, so nevermind.
Last edited by proteus on 27 Jun 2021, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Another P5 for Lando, what an start to the season for him… 86 points with 8 races, he is doing a great job!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Chicane wrote:There was no persisting PU issue. He pins his entire race on being struck in traffic when Leclerc carved through the field like a knife through butter with that Ferrari engine.
Leclerc carved through the field thanks to a tire advantage… Been on Mediums versus everyone else on not only Hards, but Hards with several laps on them made the overtakes easier

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

proteus wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Emag wrote:Ferrari had very good pace today. A little bit scared for next week. Need Ricciardo closer next time around.
Ferrari had great pace… Leclerc benefited from running on Mediums in the last stint… Carlos pace was comparable to Lando’s who seemingly was just managing the gap to 6th

Next week there will be softer tyres, so maybe Ferrari will eat them faster.....just seen than there will be harder tyres next time, so nevermind.
Soft - Medium race next week unless there is rain… The teams know that tires will hold

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:38
proteus wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Soft - Medium race next week unless there is rain… The teams know that tires will hold

Tyres are definitely a step softer next week… the softest 3 compounds available with C3, C4 and C5 compounds in use.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

the EDGE wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:38
proteus wrote: Next week there will be softer tyres, so maybe Ferrari will eat them faster.....just seen than there will be harder tyres next time, so nevermind.

Tyres are definitely a step softer next week… the softest 3 compounds available with C3, C4 and C5 compounds in use.
Oh! That will make things interesting! Thanks for the confirmation

billamend
billamend

Lando sandbagging in the post race interview by saying that next week with the softer tires Ferrari has an advantage. Sainz in the next interview asking what is he drinking because Ferrari prefers the harder tires.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

One thing I have been wondering is that Mercedes hasn’t done well in Austria in the hybrid era, the high altitude and heat have always been an issue for the Merc powered cars, with the track actually favoring the likes of Ferrari / Red Bull in the past… I was a bit concerned before the race and when Daniel had the PU issues I thought it was race over potentially for both drivers… I don’t think the Merc PU has changed a lot in regards to heat management, but the fact that the team finished best of the rest, is really positive

Emag
Emag

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 18:08
One thing I have been wondering is that Mercedes hasn’t done well in Austria in the hybrid era, the high altitude and heat have always been an issue for the Merc powered cars, with the track actually favoring the likes of Ferrari / Red Bull in the past… I was a bit concerned before the race and when Daniel had the PU issues I thought it was race over potentially for both drivers… I don’t think the Merc PU has changed a lot in regards to heat management, but the fact that the team finished best of the rest, is really positive

To be honest, might as well just call it as "race over" for Daniel. Wouldn't have made any difference if he retired at that point.

Chicane
Chicane

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:37
Chicane wrote:There was no persisting PU issue. He pins his entire race on being struck in traffic when Leclerc carved through the field like a knife through butter with that Ferrari engine.
Leclerc carved through the field thanks to a tire advantage… Been on Mediums versus everyone else on not only Hards, but Hards with several laps on them made the overtakes easier

Ricciardo struggled to get by even when Raikonnen didn't have DRS and Ricciardo was on fresher tyres. I followed every sector of his on live timing and i can tell you he was struggling on corner exits. This is a rear limited track and traction out of corners is critical to get by. Ricciardo, just like in qualifying loosing chunks of time in corner exits particularly turn 3 and to a lesser extent turn 9. He had the car advantage , DRS , fresher tyres and struggled to make an impression on Raikonnen even when he didn't have DRS.

With the kind of tyre advantage he had his pace even in times he was on free air was nothing to write home about. He needs to completely reset and find a new approach cos clearly he failed to make a step after what was a difficult qualifying.

Before you ask, i am a McLaren fan who wants him to succeed for McLaren to hold on to 3rd place in the championship. Mclaren currently are fighting with one hand tied behind their back.
Quickshifter

Emag
Emag

SmallSoldier wrote:

Pretty sure Charles had better or at least equal pace with Lando on his first stint as well, so that helps. He closed up to the DRS chain group quite quickly after his early pitstop. And remember, Lando had amazing pace generally compared to the rest of the midfield in his first stint. He pulled 15s on Stroll before he pit ...

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
but the fact that the team finished best of the rest, is really positive

It was much closer between Macca & Ferrari then I expected. Too close for comfort

We suspected going into the race Ferrari’s pace looked strong, which turned out to be true, I for one was surprised at this because I believed McLaren hadn’t m shown their true potential in practice

The good news is 8 races-in, and no nasty surprises from the 35m, at least in Lando’s hands

I think there’s plenty of positives for Danny, even if the weekends result doesn’t show it. Well never know what he could have done without the loss of power, I suspect 8th given Ferrari’s race pace, so not a big loss, but 🤞 it comes together for him soon

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

To be honest, might as well just call it as "race over" for Daniel. Wouldn't have made any difference if he retired at that point.
Yes, but I’m hoping that he got something positive thanks to the additional seat time… The more miles he puts in the MCL35M the better he will be with it, so it’s not all negative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Chicane wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Ricciardo struggled to get by even when Raikonnen didn't have DRS and Ricciardo was on fresher tyres. I followed every sector of his on live timing and i can tell you he was struggling on corner exits. This is a rear limited track and traction out of corners is critical to get by. Ricciardo, just like in qualifying loosing chunks of time in corner exits particularly turn 3 and to a lesser extent turn 9. He had the car advantage , DRS , fresher tyres and struggled to make an impression on Raikonnen even when he didn't have DRS.

With the kind of tyre advantage he had his pace even in times he was on free air was nothing to write home about. He needs to completely reset and find a new approach cos clearly he failed to make a step after what was a difficult qualifying.

Before you ask, i am a McLaren fan who wants him to succeed for McLaren to hold on to 3rd place in the championship. Mclaren currently are fighting with one hand tied behind their back.
RAI didn’t had DRS, but he was always in within 2 seconds of the car in front, therefore with the slipstream for most of the race… RAI also had the tire advantage on the second stint since he was in Mediums compared to Daniel’s Hards.

Daniel simply wasn’t comfortable in the car this weekend and it showed… I still believe that a more aggressive strategy may have paid dividends or at least shake things up, wish the team would be more aggressive when there isn’t a lot to lose like today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk