2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: 2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

grubschumi13 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:05
Did Lewis make a mistake that damaged his floor?
Yep ran wide I think in turn 3 over the sausage curb

JordanMugen

Ryar wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:04
On the other hand, look at Senna, Prost, Michael, Fernando, Lewis, Vettel, Ricciardo (at Red Bull), Max and Leclerc and now Norris. They all came young and they have all done the job.
But they were highly sought after and put on very high salaries almost immediately though? :)

Indeed, there was a bidding war and contractual dispute over (Michael) Schumacher's services, was there not? Likewise Senna IIRC.

In terms of cut-price rookie driver lineup, don't you mean a lineup more like Hill + Coulthard, Buemi + Alguersuari. or (Mick) Schumacher + Mazepin? Or, hypothetically, Ocon + Werhlein, or Magnussen + Vandoorne?

Not a lineup of fancied future superstars on big dollar contracts anyway (who were usually still paired with a least one big dollar veteran anyhow like Prost alongside Lauda)?

For instance, Sauber took the gamble on Heidfeld + Raikkonen but then Mclaren came along and poached Raikkonen with a big salary anyway!

By 2005, Sauber were more risk averse and paired the rookie Massa with the veteran Villeneuve.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 04 Jul 2021, 17:14, edited 7 times in total.

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:06
grubschumi13 wrote:
He picked up damage before that incident.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

El Scorchio

Sevach wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:54
Hammerfist wrote:
It's not excessive imo. We all want to see overtaking. If someone is on the outside and alongside or slightly ahead they are entitled to be given room. I am actually happy that they were very consistent in not allowing that today. These guys must learn the difference between clean racing and dirty racing.
I agree with racing clean… But, no one can say that Lando’s move was dirty… That was Perez trying to make a move that wasn’t going to stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The way to decide if it is gonna stick or not is give the room and then win the run to the next turn.
I hope they start being consistent with that going forward, this thing is such a big deal because sometimes they allow it, sometimes they don't.
Absolutely. One race it’s a penalty, next race it’s not. There’s zero logic or consistency

El Scorchio

Unf wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:04
El Scorchio wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:58
Why would you not do an unsafe release for a 5s penalty if doing it gives you a net gain?
This.

It was clearly visible on Perez vs. Norris incident - Perez lost 20 seconds on it, whereas Norris get 5s penalty. So it was still +15 for Norris as the guy who was guilty o_O

Then, Perez vs. Leclerc - the same.
Exactly. Skipping the debate over whether it was a punishable offence for Norris and let’s just say that it was, then where is the justice? Norris doesn’t even lose a place and Perez’s race is ruined. You’d think he probably had an almost nailed on second place up until that moment.

politburo
politburo

Of all the drivers who started on the C5 only Gasly scored points. At this point the C5 tyre is just unusable in the races. could not even last 10 good laps. they were lapping nearly 2 seconds slower than the leaders at the start of the race on what is meant to be a faster tyre.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

ispano6

Fulcrum wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:47
This "1 DNF" excuse needs to die. Max has HAD 1 DNF already, and he's an entire race win margin ahead. Swap that around and the championship would be a complete walkover at this point.

Face facts. Hamilton+Mercedes << Verstappen+RedBull, at least at the moment.

The gap isn't 'small' either. Its 2-3 tenths on a very short, unsophisticated track. Mercedes would have to bring a massive upgrade to get back to parity with Verstappen, let alone ahead.

It's Verstappen's championship to lose now.
Yep, and they didn't let Pirelli screw them over again by pitting Max even though he was about to lap Sainz who was on newer Mediums. Perhaps it was for fastest lap insurance, but the gap was like 22+ seconds. It would be a farce if Pirelli robs him of the potential championship.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Except it wasn’t. Whether it’s a penalty or not should be and needs to be a lot more clear cut then it is currently. If 90% of people think it isn’t a penalty then clearly they’re using different metrics that even the teams do not understand! Would be handy to know for the future so everyone knows what you can and can’t do.

Of course its NEVER black and white and operating in the grey is part and parcel of stewards decision making. But you’re not telling me that when rival team bosses even question what the heck is going on, that things are good just the way they are

politburo
politburo

El Scorchio wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:08
Sevach wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:54

I agree with racing clean… But, no one can say that Lando’s move was dirty… That was Perez trying to make a move that wasn’t going to stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The way to decide if it is gonna stick or not is give the room and then win the run to the next turn.
I hope they start being consistent with that going forward, this thing is such a big deal because sometimes they allow it, sometimes they don't.
Absolutely. One race it’s a penalty, next race it’s not. There’s zero logic or consistency
To be fair, in F3 one of the drivers got a penalty for pushing Crawford off the track a T3. Where there is a good amount of run-off.

notsofast wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:58
Perhaps it would help with consistency (and make it easier for the public to understand) if they were to draw a line across the track just before each corner. If the inside car is ahead at the line, then the inside car is entitled to the racing line. Otherwise it is not and must leave space.
Thinking about this a bit more, you’d actually only really need this at turn 4 on this track. All other overtakes are less contentious.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

politburo
politburo

ispano6 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:16
Fulcrum wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:47
This "1 DNF" excuse needs to die. Max has HAD 1 DNF already, and he's an entire race win margin ahead. Swap that around and the championship would be a complete walkover at this point.

Face facts. Hamilton+Mercedes << Verstappen+RedBull, at least at the moment.

The gap isn't 'small' either. Its 2-3 tenths on a very short, unsophisticated track. Mercedes would have to bring a massive upgrade to get back to parity with Verstappen, let alone ahead.

It's Verstappen's championship to lose now.
Yep, and they didn't let Pirelli screw them over again by pitting Max even though he was about to lap Sainz who was on newer Mediums. Perhaps it was for fastest lap insurance, but the gap was like 22+ seconds. It would be a farce if Pirelli robs him of the potential championship.
Pirelli?. Lap Sainz?. Sainz, Gasly and Verstappen were the fastest drivers on the track at that time lapping around 1.08.1 1.08.0, 1.07.9 at that time.

Mogster

214270 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:07
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
grubschumi13 wrote:
He picked up damage before that incident.
Chandhok was saying quite early on that Merc were reporting lack of downforce on Lewis’s left rear iirc.

Schuttelberg

Buxton saying Lewis damaged his car when he ran over kerbs in Turn 10? Any video of this?
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

RZS10

Yea it was turn10 since they told Bottas to avoid the curbs there, Lewis did not abuse them though (it's hard to take them any different than they do in quali anyways) so it's weird.
There was no footage of anything during the race, they only had super slo-mos of the back of the car but there was no instantly visible damage or parts missing.

Schuttelberg

Just unfortunate then based on what you're saying.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"