2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Big Tea wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 22:52
mwillems wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 21:34
Big Tea wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 21:31
I know it is 'free tyres' to start, but is it also free for the change? Can it be run Med-Med?
Yes there are no tyre obligations, but you'd go soft-soft for sure if you were stopping, but on that I really don't think they will, unless there's a safety in which case they will likely stop for new softs.
I mean on Sunday? can they not chose the start tyre then too?
The softs tomorrow of course will be New rubber and it will only be 17 laps, not 17 + the 3 from quali
Free choice to start but the usual rule applies to differing compounds.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

For those thinking that maybe we have set up for the race.

P2 is not in Park Ferme, so we can change the setups for the race. That would have been our Qualy setup today I think.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 23:25
For those thinking that maybe we have set up for the race.

P2 is not in Park Ferme, so we can change the setups for the race. That would have been our Qualy setup today I think.
You don't have 100% freedom tomorrow in terms of setup changes. Either way, let's see what happens. If this was the grid for the actual race in sunday, I would have been pleased. Now for tomorrow, there's both potential for improvements, but there's also a chance they may go backwards.

New format, so don't know what to expect, but the car has usually been better on lower-ish fuel, so I am optimistic for tomorrow.

Maybe getting past Leclerc with at least one car is a reasonable goal.

nevill3

I expect Danny to be starting Sundays race from P3 with one of his blistering first lap passing masterclasses in tomorrows sprint
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:For those thinking that maybe we have set up for the race.

The cars are in Parc Ferme since the start of Qualifying… No changes tomorrow before the Sprint or after (which kind of defeats the purposes of FP2)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwillems

I think its only part larc ferme until after the race. The front wing can be changed for instance I'm not sure what else.

-Bandit

djos

Wow, so good to see Daniel getting it together! Only 2/1000ths of a second separating Daniel and Lando in Q3, amazing stuff!
Last edited by djos on 17 Jul 2021, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:I think its only part larc ferme until after the race. The front wing can be changed for instance I'm not sure what else.
It seems they can change ballasts, weight distribution, suspension settings and replace brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 03:20
Wow, so good to see Daniel getting it together! Only 2/1000ths of a second separating Daniel and Lando in Q3, amazing stuff!
Yep fantastic to see him back doing what we know he can. Such a ridiculously tiny margin. Dan wasn't happy after qualli either, said he lost a fair bit of time on one of the straights, so a bit more left on the table, which bodes well for the race. He said P4 was gettable in qualli. Loving this format so far. 2 races and one going flat out is great.

On a side note Oscar Piastri on pole in F2. Young gun, sign this kid for an F1 seat! Should be a good chance to with Webber managing him. Another Aussie in F1 with Dan would be cool!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

runningmanz wrote:
djos wrote:
Yep fantastic to see him back doing what we know he can. Such a ridiculously tiny margin. Dan wasn't happy after qualli either, said he lost a fair bit of time on one of the straights, so a bit more left on the table, which bodes well for the race. He said P4 was gettable in qualli. Loving this format so far. 2 races and one going flat out is great.

On a side note Oscar Piastri on pole in F2. Young gun, sign this kid for an F1 seat! Should be a good chance to with Webber managing him. Another Aussie in F1 with Dan would be cool!
If he would have nailed his best sectors on Qualifying, he would have ended P4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:I think its only part larc ferme until after the race. The front wing can be changed for instance I'm not sure what else.
It seems they can change ballasts, weight distribution, suspension settings and replace brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the front wing, that's a fair amount. Ride height and suspension settings would be a factor in Qualy setup due to the low fuel situation, along the roll bar settings for how much the car can pitch and yaw through corners.

Obviously not a full qauly setup but that's enough to turn it closer to a qualy setup, unless I'm confused.

Still, we have speed and since the Ferrari would probably ruin it's tyres and go backwards in the race, maybe we could sneek the soft :mrgreen:

I'm thinking the Imola restart where we did 30 laps on softs. I really hope we do....

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

What is encouraging is that Silverstone is a front limited track. Somewhere that traditionally the MCL has been weaker on. We clawed back some of that deficiency this year. However it’s still blatantly obvious that the low speed 90deg corner that aren’t properly brake turn and squirt, are where the top cars are well and truly head and shoulders above the rest.
S1 Silverstone and S3 Barcelona are those sectors where that difference is most obvious

Lewis Sector 1 here at Silverstone was a 27.2, I think the MCL35M could only do a 27.6. That’s really only one 90deg right and one 90deg left.

Still compared to last year, it’s no doubt an improvement

mwillems

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
17 Jul 2021, 11:29
What is encouraging is that Silverstone is a front limited track. Somewhere that traditionally the MCL has been weaker on. We clawed back some of that deficiency this year. However it’s still blatantly obvious that the low speed 90deg corner are where the top cars are well and truly head and shoulders above the rest. Lewis S1 27.2, I think the MCL35M could only do a 27.6. That’s really only one 90deg right and one 90deg left.

Still compared to last year, it’s no doubt an improvement
According to an article posted recently, a number of the changes we had made to the car had been to address the front, such as the enlarged front wing which reputedly stopped the car from bottoming out as much and gave a small increase to front downforce. I was aware of the changes as they came but didn't put it together that they were actively addressing the front grip until I read that article.

If the car was bottoming out a lot under braking into turns then you can see how this a larger wing would help the situation in anything but the lower speed corners, which becomes mechanical. In tracks with medium to high speed corner and with less trailbraking, this will give us a good amount of grip throughout.

You could see that the front limited deficit still exists at tracks like Austria where there are some corners that require a strong pointy nose through both the lower and higher speed corners. In fact, it was made mention yesterday of Norris taking turn one, which is a 90 degree corner at full speed without lifting.

On another note, when watching the sprint qualy yesterday I noticed some more interesting telemetry between stroll and Vettel. Vattel was faster and again, his speed came from carrying less speed into the corners.

Now I'm sure this is partly just coincidence but so far every time I see a difference between racers, be it Vettel and Stroll, Max to Lando and Lando to Danny Ric, the faster driver has always scrubbed more speed into the corner to carry more speed out.

-Bandit

mclaren111

I assume more money from Webex for bigger sign... :D :D

mwillems

Looking like the third best team in this session.

Jenson Button agreeing with Small Soldier in that medium is the best tyre as it is apparently actually finding more grip on this track, the track is too hot for these softs and is overheating them.

-Bandit