2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FWandE
FWandE

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

ispano6 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 22:51
Jolle wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 22:47
ispano6 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 22:41
Red bull should look into whether Russell stopping warrants a disqualification similar to Seb, should they not?
Maybe they should weigh Verstappen’s car 😂
Maybe Perez should take out Ham next race?
He'd have to get close enough first. :lol:

ispano6

FWandE wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 23:24

We've seen lots of contact at the first hairpin of SPA, should just need to start 3rd.

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

The championship is still close so still an exciting battle in the coming races.

The battle at the front was fascinating however. Clearly the difference between the Apline and AM was so close that they just matched laptimes. Sainz then arrived at one point and really gave a perspective into how F1 would be if all cars were that close. Poor Max, Mercedes are making the errors but he and RBR are paying for those errors. I do think the FIA need to consider if another team takes out other cars and causes damage to those cars, then that team should pay for the repairs.

This I think is an avenue they need to close before it turns into a tactic by teams to ruin the budget plans of another.

Jolle
Jolle

ispano6 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 23:29
FWandE wrote:

We've seen lots of contact at the first hairpin of SPA, should just need to start 3rd.
Well, Verstappen is trading DNF's and third places at Spa. 2021 is a DNF year again, at la Source with preferably Kimi on the outside taking the apex. 😂.
sweet old traditions.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

grubschumi13 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 23:33

This I think is an avenue they need to close before it turns into a tactic by teams to ruin the budget plans of another.
Briatore no longer runs an F1 team, so deliberately crashing in order to disadvantage another team is probably not in anyone's playbook these days. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mogster

El Scorchio wrote:
Mogster wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 23:19
Why did Russell have to cede half a dozen places after the re-start?

There wasn’t any convincing explanation, Williams just seemed to take it and moved on, but it was a massive hit. Was he deemed to have overtaken them before the green light went out?
He drove to the front of the queue in the pit lane at the restart last a bunch of other cars. He said he wasn’t sure if it was against the rules or not but he didn’t think it was. It was cheeky but opportunist.
OK. So he sort of pushed into the queue at pit exit, the Williams pit box was right next the exit was it not.

El Scorchio

Mogster wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 23:38
El Scorchio wrote:
Mogster wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 23:19
Why did Russell have to cede half a dozen places after the re-start?

There wasn’t any convincing explanation, Williams just seemed to take it and moved on, but it was a massive hit. Was he deemed to have overtaken them before the green light went out?
He drove to the front of the queue in the pit lane at the restart last a bunch of other cars. He said he wasn’t sure if it was against the rules or not but he didn’t think it was. It was cheeky but opportunist.
OK. So he sort of pushed into the queue at pit exit, the Williams pit box was right next the exit was it not.
Basically, yes! I guess maybe there was no gap for him in the queue so he took a chance. Worth a shot I suppose!

He’s probably a little lucky they didn’t penalise him for being cheeky but common sense prevailed and no harm done.

godlameroso

f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 20:55
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 20:51
Fact that we are discussing DQ for a few litres of fuel or driving past the pits or wearing t-shirts on an Aston Martin, a Williams and an Alpine driver who took his maiden win and not how a RBR will take a 10 place grid drop for a bloke running into him and getting a 5 place grid drop should echo what is broken in this sport!
So, we should change the rules to "Max can not be punished for anything and is outside the rules"

It’s like red flag car repair.

When it is Lewis doing it, people want the rules changed.
Max car fixed today, not a whimper
You call that fixed? They literally slapped duct tape on it and hoped for the best.
Saishū kōnā

Incognito
Incognito

Agreed. I love that he put Lazenby on the spot about it too.

zibby43
zibby43

MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 22:57
piast9 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 22:51
Diesel wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 22:21
The team should have been aware of the fuel level and asked for some fuel saving from Seb during the race. I guess they were hoping they would pass Ocon and coast to save fuel, but the pass never came.
According to FIA documents the team thought that there is over 1,4 l of fuel left. It is a harsh penalty but these are the rules. Because of the underfuelling it is similar like if Vettel had an underweight car which is quite severe offence.
And the team still thinks that that fuel is there and will try to get it out on Monday - filing an appeal if successful.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vett ... y/6640827/
The problem is, the actual rule says that a 1L sample must be successfully extracted at the time of scrutineering. Kind of a technicality.

JPower
JPower

mistrx wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 23:42
maybe, just maybe Vettel could focus on fuel consumption (and maybe also evrtaking skills) rather than on his woke virtue signalling?

Didn't he say - they can even disqualify me, I don't care? They did disqualify, albeit for different reason.

Well, karma is a b!, Seb isn't it. Enjoy! You can wear your t-shirt while handing back your trophy.

Unf wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 20:12
Low quality sh*tpost here. :roll:

ispano6

Jolle wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 23:36

Well, Verstappen is trading DNF's and third places at Spa. 2021 is a DNF year again, at la Source with preferably Kimi on the outside taking the apex. 😂.
sweet old traditions.
It's clear this season is already tarnished and controversial, isn't it.

Jolle
Jolle

ispano6 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 00:04
Jolle wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 23:36

sweet old traditions.
It's clear this season is already tarnished and controversial, isn't it.
Come on, bit of lighthearted "Kimi swooping from the inside like no one's there on the first corner" fun :D

ringo

grubschumi13 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 23:33
The championship is still close so still an exciting battle in the coming races.

The battle at the front was fascinating however. Clearly the difference between the Apline and AM was so close that they just matched laptimes. Sainz then arrived at one point and really gave a perspective into how F1 would be if all cars were that close. Poor Max, Mercedes are making the errors but he and RBR are paying for those errors. I do think the FIA need to consider if another team takes out other cars and causes damage to those cars, then that team should pay for the repairs.

The FIA cannot be too harsh as they chose to do the standing start and not a rolling start. So the risks will come with that. Bottas cannot be blamed to much either. The conditions were just too risky and it was in the name of the show.

If anything this secures Bottas' seat even more. His heroics have secured the lead in both championships for Mercedes. And he also invested for the future with the PU issues redbull will have further down. :lol:
I predicted this Bottas and Max coming together but didn't know it would be like this. I was expecting to hear that Bottas should be banned from the sport for causing a 61G collision.

Anyhow it was a great race. Mercedes could have won, but P2 is actually quite good with Max all the way in 9th or wherever.
What was interesting for me was that it seemed like only Lewis figured out how to overtake at this track. The others seem to struggle with pulling off the moves.
For Sure!!

zibby43
zibby43

The summer break will not be boring after all.

Classification only provisional for the time being, subject to the outcome of the appeal.