2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
maxxer
maxxer

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

maxxer wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 12:19
DChemTech wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 12:16
maxxer wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 12:12
Correct me if i am wrong , but before Masi if there was freak weather before start they would do more formation laps , why didnt they do one more for drivers to be able to adjust to the new situation.
Was this freak weather though? It seemed like a mild shower. I thought the multiple formation laps were mostly there to rid the track of excessive water.
Didnt see the intensity just listen to sky thought they talked about a downpour before start
True it cant have been much otherwise it would have been mandatory wets i guess.

I dont mind a race getting completely mixed up just too bad so many cars had to retire right away.

But at the end the 2 renaults driving side by side was a shot of the year though

RZS10

Ricciardo got collected by Leclerc's Ferrari, impact wheel to wheel on both axles and then right side floor and another hit on the RR which spun him around - had he taken a slightly wider line he might have lucked into P2 (later P1) like Ocon (or instead of) and we'd be talking about what an amazing job he did.

Schuttelberg

nimoraca wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 22:12
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:46
Incognito wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:41
What? You don't think that not having crashes here, Silverstone and Baku would've helped? Or that being out strategised in Spain, or a small mistake in Bahrain when overtaking Hamilton didn't cost them points? Just those last two would still see Verstappen in the lead. And that's not looking at qualifying or less standout issues.
Hmm, let's see-

Car in the gravel in Imola -18 points. (saved by red flag)
Put another car in the gravel (main title rival) in Silverstone and DNF -25 points (saved by red flag)
Blocked title rival yesterday and had team mate take out main title rival who would have won the race without it -13 points
Main title rival has tyre failure and loses 25 points while making a mistake yourself and losing 25 points. (Baku)

What does that total up to? =D>
"had team mate take out main title rival" Wow. You lost all credibility here.
No I did not hint or insinuate it as intentional. I never said Silverstone was either. BUT, the bottom line is that Max has lost a whole heap of points because of the mistakes of drivers who are his direct title rivals. Hope that clears it up.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Jolle
Jolle

Like every sport, F1 is a lot of hard work, skill and a bit luck. This year so far Hamilton is on the lucky side. That’s sport for you.

Sieper

Schuttelberg wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 12:43
nimoraca wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 18:46

Hmm, let's see-

Car in the gravel in Imola -18 points. (saved by red flag)
Put another car in the gravel (main title rival) in Silverstone and DNF -25 points (saved by red flag)
Blocked title rival yesterday and had team mate take out main title rival who would have won the race without it -13 points
Main title rival has tyre failure and loses 25 points while making a mistake yourself and losing 25 points. (Baku)

What does that total up to? =D>
No I did not hint or insinuate it as intentional. I never said Silverstone was either. BUT, the bottom line is that Max has lost a whole heap of points because of the mistakes of drivers who are his direct title rivals. Hope that clears it up.
It does. Look, these two moments are just facts. The intention behind them does not matter at all. Well, it does, if you are sure it was intentional a DSQ or ban should follow, but so far none of these events have been seen in that way by the organs that make that decision.

El Scorchio

Jolle wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 12:54
Like every sport, F1 is a lot of hard work, skill and a bit luck. This year so far Hamilton is on the lucky side. That’s sport for you.
And it could all change around in an instant next race!

214270 wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:16
f1jcw wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:10
uh oh

Lol. There are some epic visuals off the back of this race.

Did anyone see Chandhok & Lazenby trying to interview Ocon, abandoning social distancing by walking right next to him whilst using a boom mic to conduct the interview 😂
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

santos
santos

Bottas will have a penalty, why didn't Stroll had a penalty too? He did the same mistake.

NathanOlder

santos wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 13:43
Bottas will have a penalty, why didn't Stroll had a penalty too? He did the same mistake.
They both got 5 place grid penalty for Spa.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

LM10
LM10

ringo wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 06:06
godlameroso wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 05:25
ringo wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 05:09
Let me demonstrate.. Hamilton makes his own luck by pulling off key moves in the race that people fail to notice because they are busy moaning over things like rainbow T shirts.

Hamilton's overtake on Riciardo after the pits. Very critical move to stay ahead!

Then overtake on tsunoda.. and so on.

The driver has to make his own luck.
Verstappen overtook Riccardo as well, that's how he got a point.
Yeah, when it was too late. He was pretty much stuck behind the Haas and Mclaren for too long.
I’m surprised he could even overtake Mick (let alone Ricciardo) in that car with completely destroyed bargeboard area and also floor. His car was probably a second a lap slower than it should have been.

Mogster

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 11:16
Bill wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 10:11
that battle show why drs is a bad idea .it make passing easy they should be nothing easy about f1 it is the pinnacle of motor racing.the art of overtaking and defence has been negated by drs .overtaking heroes like kobayashi are no more hailed.i want to see drivers fighting getting frustrated race getting ruined emotion boiling over and if you make a pass it should be meaningful because you took a risk and earned it
whenever merc is on back foot fia are eager to start giving a flurry of penalty.mclaren asked for penalties in Baku but were rebuffed that you all have been doing it .they had the audacity to investigate max on lewis in imola but it took a lot of lobbying for max crash in silverstone just to be investigated.but anything that happen on merc cars get investigated instantly like in bahrain
Without DRS, this battle never even happens. Not a single attempt to pass would have been made. DRS gave us this battle.
Yes, the Hungaroring is probably the track that’s benefited most from DRS.

Datco
Datco

This championship is ruined. If Lewis wins, the question will always be asked what if Merc drivers did not take out Max two races in a row. Not only from a points perspective but also PU penalties and costs that would have an effect of development. Will always be a hollow victory for merc.
Last edited by Datco on 02 Aug 2021, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

Datco wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 14:23
This championship is ruined. If Lewis wins, the question will always be asked what if Merc drivers did not take out Max two races in a row. Not only from a points perspective but also PU penalties and costs that would have an effect of penalties. Will always be a hollow victory for merc.
Thats your opinion, and your entitled to it.

You could say it the other way round when talking about the regulation change and teams unable to change their cars with a strict token system in place.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 10:44
santos wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 10:30
What's happening with Ricciardo? Even a very broken and hard to drive Red Bull could overtake him.
He's coming across as a driver in the Button mould - very quick in a car that's exactly how he wants it, strangely off colour in a car that's not to his exact liking.

Either that or he's having an "off season". All drivers have them at some point where they just can't seem to get themselves "on it".

There's also the third option: maybe Norris is just faster than him and making him look slow. Which would be a surprise, to be honest.
Norris is so fast that he's capable of splitting the Mercedes. Norris is closer to Bottas than he is Riccardo, pace wise. I wonder how much frustration played into this accident.
Saishū kōnā

Schuttelberg

Sieper wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 12:58
Schuttelberg wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 12:43
nimoraca wrote:

It does. Look, these two moments are just facts. The intention behind them does not matter at all. Well, it does, if you are sure it was intentional a DSQ or ban should follow, but so far none of these events have been seen in that way by the organs that make that decision.
I think it would take someone very cynical and almost stupid in my opinion to say they are intentional acts. I rather trust someone and believe them for being good than saying they tried to kill someone when we don't know. I don't think anyone ever tries to intentionally harm someone on the grid because lives can be lost. Life > Sport.

The fact is though that for two races now, the penalty has not fit the crime and Max has lost a lot without making any mistake. OKAY, I can probably see why someone will say Lewis got a fit enough penalty and it's racing and it happens but I am sorry, the Bottas penalty is an absolute pathetic excuse for a penalty. He will qualify 2nd or 3rd and at worst finish 4th. It really isn't a penalty. Perez might need an engine change for this and have to take a 10 place penalty. It's honestly a complete joke. Almost feels like poor rules are manipulating the championship.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"