2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Ryar wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:32
Remove the Mercedes tinted glasses and see the impact to the drivers and teams. Grosjean was given a race ban for a similar reckles drive. Thanksfully, there was no free internet and forums in 80s and 90s for people to preach, which was a good relief.
The ban for Grosjean (after Spa 2012) was given as a result of the several lap 1 incidents he had been involved it. It was one of the rarer times when the stewards considered previous incidents in their decision. At that point in time, there was no existing mechanism to deal with recurring isssues. For the 2014 season the penalty points system was introduced.

I haven't checked, but I assume Bottas was given penalty points for the incident?
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 02 Aug 2021, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

SiLo wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:02
El Scorchio wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:00
SiLo wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:55

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Changing topic, but was anyone surprised that Sainz didn't just cruise up to Vettel and Ocon when he had clear air in front of him? I was sure he would just pull Hamilton along right up to the back of them, but he just ran out of steam after a few laps or so.
Do you mean in Hamilton's middle stint? I was pretty surprised by that too, if so. He got it down to around 4.2 seconds or so but no closer, didn't he? I've no idea of the age of Sainz' tyres at that part of the race, though. Not that old, right? I did assume he'd get right onto the back of them and it came down a bit but then stopped.
Yeah, I think his tires were a few laps older than Vettel and Ocon, but I figured the Ferrari in race trim would be a good bit faster, and he did cut the gap down quite a bit, but just seemed to hit a wall and then started to fall back.

Think he gained around 12 seconds on them or so?
Perhaps he thought he would catch them but not be able to overtake them. Better then, perhaps in his mind, to play for the third spot?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313
basti313

Phil wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:39
Ryar wrote:
Grosjean was given a race ban for a similar reckles drive. Thanksfully, there was no free internet and forums in 80s and 90s for people to preach, which was a good relief.
Grosjean didn't receive the race ban because of that one reckless start. Stating so is factually incorrect and misleading. It was a culmination of events that lead to that ban. The same can not be said about Bottas - he is consistently a driver who rarely comes into contact with other cars, stays out of trouble and is sensible.
RRRreeeaaallyyy??? :shock:
I mean...difficult to discuss after this race of course, but if you look at Bottas overtaking, there is barely any spacial awareness, that I would expect from a top driver. We even saw him nearly touching Lewis in two instances this year. We saw him sticking his front wheel anywhere he could in the Williams, we saw him divebombing in Hungary three years ago, we saw him cutting on Per this year in France.
I think we have seen him stay clear more because the other drivers are aware of him than because of his own driving. I do not see a single sensible move except for staying away from Lewis at the starts as good as he can.

In contrary. I see him as one of the drivers like Ves, Ham or Alo where others rather not stick their nose into places where they will crash. I think this is his asset for the rest of the season. Whenever Ves tries to overtake him, he needs to be 150% careful, because he will take him out. Very similar to Alo vs. Ham this weekend. Ham was not hanging around on the outside or sticking his nose on a closing inside, because he was aware that Alo will not move for him.
This is the big issue for Ves in the end, as Per is a driver that will always make room for anyone.
Don`t russel the hamster!

rogazilla
rogazilla

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:12
SiLo wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Do you mean in Hamilton's middle stint? I was pretty surprised by that too, if so. He got it down to around 4.2 seconds or so but no closer, didn't he? I've no idea of the age of Sainz' tyres at that part of the race, though. Not that old, right? I did assume he'd get right onto the back of them and it came down a bit but then stopped.
Yeah, I think his tires were a few laps older than Vettel and Ocon, but I figured the Ferrari in race trim would be a good bit faster, and he did cut the gap down quite a bit, but just seemed to hit a wall and then started to fall back.

Perhaps he thought he would catch them but not be able to overtake them. Better then, perhaps in his mind, to play for the third spot?
Or I thought since he was really watching Ham and his comment to the team indicated that, maybe he figured instead of fighting up front, he wants to make sure he's got enough tires left at the end. A chance to capitalize if the 2 up front tangle up or run out of tires. Also to keep enough tires to fend off Hamilton if he got caught.

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
SiLo wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:55

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Changing topic, but was anyone surprised that Sainz didn't just cruise up to Vettel and Ocon when he had clear air in front of him? I was sure he would just pull Hamilton along right up to the back of them, but he just ran out of steam after a few laps or so.

It is interesting- I suppose the Ferrari wasn't quite so quick as we might have thought. It was hard tyres again, wasn't it? The Ferrari didn't go so well on those at Silverstone either, so perhaps they have a bit of an issue with them. He'd dropped back to about 7-8 seconds behind at the end of the race. He could have just gone into engine saving mode, of course.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

rogazilla wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:20
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:12
SiLo wrote:

Or I thought since he was really watching Ham and his comment to the team indicated that, maybe he figured instead of fighting up front, he wants to make sure he's got enough tires left at the end. A chance to capitalize if the 2 up front tangle up or run out of tires. Also to keep enough tires to fend off Hamilton if he got caught.
Yes, good point. He was talking to the team about what Hamilton was doing so he was aware that he was under threat.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

qatmix

Another strange turn of events.. I suppose Williams with have 10 points which is a big help to maybe be 8th in the championship at the end of the year.

NathanOlder

qatmix wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:40
Another strange turn of events.. I suppose Williams with have 10 points which is a big help to maybe be 8th in the championship at the end of the year.
Yeah good for them, Finally a little luck for Williams!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Ryar

basti313 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:17
Phil wrote:
Ryar wrote:
Grosjean was given a race ban for a similar reckles drive. Thanksfully, there was no free internet and forums in 80s and 90s for people to preach, which was a good relief.
Grosjean didn't receive the race ban because of that one reckless start. Stating so is factually incorrect and misleading. It was a culmination of events that lead to that ban. The same can not be said about Bottas - he is consistently a driver who rarely comes into contact with other cars, stays out of trouble and is sensible.
I mean...difficult to discuss after this race of course, but if you look at Bottas overtaking, there is barely any spacial awareness, that I would expect from a top driver. We even saw him nearly touching Lewis in two instances this year. We saw him sticking his front wheel anywhere he could in the Williams, we saw him divebombing in Hungary three years ago, we saw him cutting on Per this year in France.
I think we have seen him stay clear more because the other drivers are aware of him than because of his own driving. I do not see a single sensible move except for staying away from Lewis at the starts as good as he can.

In contrary. I see him as one of the drivers like Ves, Ham or Alo where others rather not stick their nose into places where they will crash. I think this is his asset for the rest of the season. Whenever Ves tries to overtake him, he needs to be 150% careful, because he will take him out. Very similar to Alo vs. Ham this weekend. Ham was not hanging around on the outside or sticking his nose on a closing inside, because he was aware that Alo will not move for him.
This is the big issue for Ves in the end, as Per is a driver that will always make room for anyone.
A lot of people here forget, Bottas was the primary reason of Hamilton's 2016 pains. I would let people to go and check the sequence of events.
Hakuna Matata!

basti313
basti313

Ryar wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:50
basti313 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:17
Phil wrote:

A lot of people here forget, Bottas was the primary reason of Hamilton's 2016 pains. I would let people to go and check the sequence of events.
Yes. That event summarizes my post quite well. You do not stick your nose into Hamilton's corner and Bot sticks it wherever possible.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Marty_Y wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:36
Currently, it’s OCO over ALO, SAI over LEC and LAT over RUS. I wonder how that shakes out over the season.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

renault rs26
renault rs26

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 09:54
We've all been impressed by the battle between Alonso and Hamilton with some great defensive driving from the 2-time champion. It's worth remembering that he was helped by Kimi coming out of the pits at an early stage as Hamilton was about to overtake in to T1. Kimi was in the pit lane exit lane so effectively blocked the attempt. It was a few laps before Hamilton was able to get that close again and put the pressure on Alonso's worn tyres resulting in the slight lock up that allowed him through. This not taking away from Alonso, he drove brilliantly, but Ocon needs to thank Kimi's team for pitting him when they did. :lol:
Alonso had to go wider to avoid Kimi and that gave Hamilton chance, but later he also had to avoid Kimi, so it's fair order remained the same.

Jolle
Jolle

214270 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 18:05
Marty_Y wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:36
Currently, it’s OCO over ALO, SAI over LEC and LAT over RUS. I wonder how that shakes out over the season.
At Ferrari, the new guy gets the most points, to make them feel welcome. Old tradition.