2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nzjrs

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Incognito wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:40
At least there isn't anyone dogpiling onto Ocon for not personally checking on the conditions and whereabouts of everyone who was involved in the T1 catastrophe before celebrating. It's weird that something that was such an obvious and important concern has suddenly stopped being a thing though...just like it wasn't a thing before Silverstone...weird... :wtf:
Your post, you battle hard, you scramble out of the depths, crawl on your knees up the grass into the sun, pick your self up, and then with more height slide gleefully back down into the mud to throw a big fat handful into a group of people you despise. Hands up, wasn't me, you say, I'm too elite to be down here, I've just slipped down by accident.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Incognito wrote:
This thread is amazing. In the immediate aftermath of the race there are almost uniformly positive comments about Verstappen, almost uniformly positive comments about Vettel, almost uniformly positive comments about Alonso, almost uniformly condemnation of Bottas, someone may have mentioned Stroll...and the rest of it has been people attacking Hamilton for:-
'Ordering' Bottas to initiate a multi-car pileup
'Lying' about Alonso hitting him because there was no contact
Blaming Hamilton for 'deliberately' crashing with Alonso
Not being alongside when the cars touch
Not passing Alonso fast enough
'Faking' being ill to get sympathy
That he's so ill he shouldn't be racing
Having rapper friends
Saying inequality is bad

And that's just off the top of my head. And with this delusional bullsh1ttery, an inevitable childish squabble breaks out. Well done for avoiding the overtly racist comments this time though, that's a real step up from the last race thread =D> .

This could have been a thread actually about the Hungarian Grand Prix, discussing what a great job almost the entire field did in difficult and unusual conditions. But no...

At least there isn't anyone dogpiling onto Ocon for not personally checking on the conditions and whereabouts of everyone who was involved in the T1 catastrophe before celebrating. It's weird that something that was such an obvious and important concern has suddenly stopped being a thing though...just like it wasn't a thing before Silverstone...weird... :wtf:
Haven’t got much time for a lot of the stuff that’s being brought up. But I take issue with you mentioning “too ill to be racing” as part of your delusional bullshittery list. I think I’ve outlined my reasoning, it’s cogent and NOT based on fandom. I am concerned for him. Always easy to say afterwards what the right call is as it’s a risk based assessment. Either way I don’t want to be a championship decided by something like that. It would be tarnished.

But I would HATE to see a nasty accident because a driver is clearly unwell. And with ANY top level athletics, if you’re not 100% mistakes happen. You just aren’t as sharp.

And being unstable on your feet, I’d not be flying my airplane, I’d be sent home by other pilots and not allowed to be near any machinery.

Sieper

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:24
peewon wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 11:39
Mchamilton wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 10:55

Really? It was alonso who moved further over to the right onto Hamiltons line. I swear some people dont even watch the races yet still feel the urge to make incorrect comments
Its not Hamilton's line. His front tyre is next to Alonso's rear. Thats not sufficiently being along side. The racing line moves right on that straight to open room for the left at turn 4. Actually Lewis is sticking his car in places which is risky just like Copse but this time hes on the outside. Still more risky for Alonso because its like a pit maneuver.
Once great Alonso said: 'all the time you have to leave a space!' 😁
As he did. And still the front wheel is there.

Incognito
Incognito

nzjrs wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:56
Incognito wrote:
Your post, you battle hard, you scramble out of the depths, crawl on your knees up the grass into the sun, pick your self up, and then with more height slide gleefully back down into the mud to throw a big fat handful into a group of people you despise. Hands up, wasn't me, you say, I'm too elite to be down here, I've just slipped down by accident.
I can remove it if you think it will help the post make the desired impact, but it was such a standout 'performance' from the previous thread that I felt it deserved special inclusion here.

Although, I did think the context of my post would've made it clear I was referring to fans rather than Verstappen himself who, having been taken straight from the crash for checks and then taken to hospital for further checks, had significantly less information to go on. And he was also suffering the immediate consequences of his accident (which may well have included shock). And he very maturely drew a line under it at this week's press conference. Do I wish he hasn't posted what he posted on social media? Yes. It was pretty incendiary. Do I understand why he posted it and do I think any less of him for posting it? Absolutely not.

His social media manager on the other hand...

nzjrs

Incognito wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 13:15
I can remove it if you think it will help the post make the desired impact, but it was such a standout 'performance' from the previous thread that I felt it deserved special inclusion here.

Although, I did think the context of my post would've made it clear I was referring to fans rather than Verstappen himself who, having been taken straight from the crash for checks and then taken to hospital for further checks, had significantly less information to go on. And he was also suffering the immediate consequences of his accident (which may well have included shock). And he very maturely drew a line under it at this week's press conference. Do I wish he hasn't posted what he posted on social media? Yes. It was pretty incendiary. Do I understand why he posted it and do I think any less of him for posting it? Absolutely not.

His social media manager on the other hand...
Nah, on balance I thinks it's worth is cause I got to have a little fun writing the allegory.

Agree with your response too.

Incognito
Incognito

nzjrs wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 13:19
Nah, on balance I thinks it's worth is cause I got to have a little fun writing the allegory.

Agree with your response too.
It was beautifully written, very visually evocative :)

SiLo

nzjrs wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 12:56
I think this needs to be included in the opening of every single new race thread from now on.
Felipe Baby!

El Scorchio

It is amazing how people are looking to pick holes in the Hamilton/Alonso duel or find some fault in one or the other during it for what purposes I just don't know. Both drivers were fair throughout, both came through unscathed, and it was a joy to watch. Can we all really not just appreciate it objectively?

RZS10

Yeah ... i wish everyone on here would take a step back and try to read their own posts from a neutral perspective more often, some would then realize how ridiculous some of the posts are.
And people posting a single image thinking it tells the entire story of any given situation, especially when paired with a completely skewed one sided view, will never not be funny.

Into corner 4 was close, a bit too close but still finely judged by both, both moved away from each other slightly afterwards and nothing happened.

Hamilton did not aim for Alonsos rear tyre.
Alonso did not run him off track, he did not close the gap and left the space.
Hamilton had every right to go for that bit of track and was almost level towards the brake tap/turn in point.

NathanOlder

El Scorchio wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 13:46
It is amazing how people are looking to pick holes in the Hamilton/Alonso duel or find some fault in one or the other during it for what purposes I just don't know. Both drivers were fair throughout, both came through unscathed, and it was a joy to watch. Can we all really not just appreciate it objectively?
Of course we can. As a Hamilton fan, I loved seeing these 2 old guys going at it. Both placing their cars perfectly for lap after lap. Alonso's hard defence made the pass even better when it came.

Nothing more to add.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

basti313
basti313

RZS10 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 14:04
Hamilton had every right to go for that bit of track and was almost level towards the brake tap/turn in point.
Hmmmm....still it is a pity that Ham's front wheel did not touch the rear wheel a bit harder. Would have ended Alo in the runout and Ham right behind Sainz, Vet and Oco after a SC. Would have been fun with Ham fans showing in the frame by frame analysis why he is not at fault and argument why it would have been ok to win the race like this.
We are missing a lot here...
Don`t russel the hamster!

El Scorchio

basti313 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 14:24
RZS10 wrote:
Hmmmm....still it is a pity that Ham's front wheel did not touch the rear wheel a bit harder. Would have ended Alo in the runout and Ham right behind Sainz, Vet and Oco after a SC. Would have been fun with Ham fans showing in the frame by frame analysis why he is not at fault and argument why it would have been ok to win the race like this.
Exactly the sort of silly post I was referring to.

basti313
basti313

El Scorchio wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 14:29
basti313 wrote:
RZS10 wrote:
Come on. Of course it was good, but there was potential for even more drama. Much bigger drama :mrgreen:
Don`t russel the hamster!

El Scorchio

basti313 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 14:34
El Scorchio wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 14:29
basti313 wrote:

Come on. Of course it was good, but there was potential for even more drama. Much bigger drama :mrgreen:
#-o

Incognito
Incognito

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 13:03
Haven’t got much time for a lot of the stuff that’s being brought up. But I take issue with you mentioning “too ill to be racing” as part of your delusional bullshittery list. I think I’ve outlined my reasoning, it’s cogent and NOT based on fandom. I am concerned for him. Always easy to say afterwards what the right call is as it’s a risk based assessment. Either way I don’t want to be a championship decided by something like that. It would be tarnished.

But I would HATE to see a nasty accident because a driver is clearly unwell. And with ANY top level athletics, if you’re not 100% mistakes happen. You just aren’t as sharp.

And being unstable on your feet, I’d not be flying my airplane, I’d be sent home by other pilots and not allowed to be near any machinery.
I agree. Your approach was valuable in that you raised the question of whether he should be racing and outlined your reasoning (which was consistent and neutral). Sadly, not everyone else makes the same careful case nor uses qualified statements.

Is there a physical (and mental?) fitness test that drivers have to pass before each GP? If not, should there be? I don't even know if there is a concussion protocol (I assume there must be)?

We've seen drivers, in the past, have to be helped out of the car due to exhaustion/dehydration. Whilst it looks heroic (and probably is, given the conditions under which they've just performed), I think you are right to raise the point that having people driving in such a condition is fundamentally dangerous. Would it be possible to have in car monitoring which would allow the course /team doctor to be able to track the condition of the driver?

Matthew Carter mentioned something, in the recent Missed Apex podcast, on a parallel line of thinking around having a more health-focussed approach when he was managing Lotus (e.g. mandatory gym sessions, scheduled electrolyte refills, etc).