2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Wouter wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 08:43
ringo wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 04:12
Suzuka is out.. high potential redbull winning track.
Things are falling into place nicely. Mercedes need to focus on using Valteri to spoil Max's races.
ringo wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 04:14
Do redbull have a schedule for their next updates? or will they just focus on impriving setup and wing selection for the rest of the season?
They will be smart enough at RBR to come up with upgrades every time, now that Toto has said Bottas has agreed to help Lewis to the title, now that he no longer has a chance at the title himself.
Is that smart though?

They must be the only team not focused almost entirely on 2022 by now.

I hope this doesn't come back to haunt them next year and subsequent seasons.

I want Lando to win the WDC on merit, not cos Max didn't have a car to compete 😜
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 11:49
Wouter wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 08:43
ringo wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 04:12
Suzuka is out.. high potential redbull winning track.
Things are falling into place nicely. Mercedes need to focus on using Valteri to spoil Max's races.
ringo wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 04:14
Do redbull have a schedule for their next updates? or will they just focus on impriving setup and wing selection for the rest of the season?
They will be smart enough at RBR to come up with upgrades every time, now that Toto has said Bottas has agreed to help Lewis to the title, now that he no longer has a chance at the title himself.
Is that smart though?

They must be the only team not focused almost entirely on 2022 by now.

I hope this doesn't come back to haunt them next year and subsequent seasons.

I want Lando to win the WDC on merit, not cos Max didn't have a car to compete 😜
I'm sure Lando will take it any way it comes :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

Red Bull boss Christian Horner says his Formula 1 team could never have accepted switching off development of its current car early – despite rivals throwing everything at 2022

I wonder how much this will hurt 2022 and beyond ? Although Horner says it isn't hurting their 2022 preperations, surely every minute and every £ you put in to 2021 has an effect on 2022 ?!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... e/6651261/
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

bosyber
bosyber

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 10:41
Red Bull boss Christian Horner says his Formula 1 team could never have accepted switching off development of its current car early – despite rivals throwing everything at 2022

I wonder how much this will hurt 2022 and beyond ? Although Horner says it isn't hurting their 2022 preperations, surely every minute and every £ you put in to 2021 has an effect on 2022 ?!

Maybe next year will be back to the more usual pattern of Red Bull starting the year with a car that is a bit underdeveloped then, thinking they'll be able to claw it back over the season. I guess with a good chance of getting the WDC, it having been a long time they weren't in that position, and next year being uncertain because so much changes, that might be a valid choice for Red Bull, then see next year as a learning year before they get back on it in 2023?

adrianjordan

bosyber wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 11:11
NathanOlder wrote:

Maybe next year will be back to the more usual pattern of Red Bull starting the year with a car that is a bit underdeveloped then, thinking they'll be able to claw it back over the season. I guess with a good chance of getting the WDC, it having been a long time they weren't in that position, and next year being uncertain because so much changes, that might be a valid choice for Red Bull, then see next year as a learning year before they get back on it in 2023?
The problem with that is they have, historically, been able to spend whatever that liked to be able to develop. The new rules and budget cap will make that a lot harder.

Personally I'm convinced that they have decided to throw everything at this season because they believe next year is something of a lottery as to who gets it right, so why waste this opportunity. They may also be at a slight disadvantage on the PU front while they get their own facility up and running fully.

All of that makes it understandable to go for broke this season. Plus it gives us fans a good season to watch!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

Beauty and ugliness are only skin deep. It’s what’s underneath that matters.

GOAT

NathanOlder wrote:

Basically it’s an aero only rule change.

‘Aerodynamically’ speaking RB has always been there or thereabout, with Newey- it was mostly the PU that hindered them and by the looks of it, that’s solved now.

NathanOlder

GOAT wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 21:09
NathanOlder wrote:

Basically it’s an aero only rule change.

‘Aerodynamically’ speaking RB has always been there or thereabout, with Newey- it was mostly the PU that hindered them and by the looks of it, that’s solved now.
But Newey was always able to throw unlimited amounts of CFD, wind tunnel and cash at the Aero in years past. Next year (and this year working on next years car) he can't do any of that.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GOAT

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Aug 2021, 21:41

But..
Newey uses a drawing board foremost.
:mrgreen:

zibby43
zibby43

bosyber wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 11:11
NathanOlder wrote:

It’ll be hard to claw back time quickly early on if you’re behind due to the new restrictions (budget, CFD, tunnel). Also, the learning curve is so steep early on that the teams that start ahead will continue to make large leaps while others play catch-up. Allison has talked about finding seconds worth of performance for next year’s car, while on the ‘21 car, they were lucky to find hundredths.

That steep initial curve with an extensive aero overhaul is typically why convergence doesn’t start until several years into a regulation change.

bosyber
bosyber

Well, the past has also shown that Red Bull aren't above overestimating their ability to claw back the deficit they have at the start of the season enough to fight for the title (and arguably this year it only worked bc. rules were restricted in what they were allowed to do, and bc. Merc. had a worse time getting the floor change right). Yes, it might well be a wrong decision and perhaps they end up on the back foot for several season yet again, or maybe they really somehow have it all covered (clever planning?), they do have a lot of clever people.

I guess if they do get the title this year, they might consider it good enough to last them until next chance?

BassVirolla

With spending caps in place for '21 and '22 there's no worries in keeping developing until last day of season.

All you are doing, including man hours, are allocated at 2021 spending cap.

2022 development is probably also at full steam, but only taking from the spending allowed for next year.

Edit: Saying in other words: More than probably, the big teams still have far more resources than what they could use under only one year spending cap.

SiLo

BassVirolla wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 09:54
With spending caps in place for '21 and '22 there's no worries in keeping developing until last day of season.

2022 development is probably also at full steam, but only taking from the spending allowed for next year.

Edit: Saying in other words: More than probably, the big teams still have far more resources than what they could use under only one year spending cap.
I thought the spending cap was already in place?
Felipe Baby!

Jolle
Jolle

SiLo wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 10:45
BassVirolla wrote:

It is and it doesn’t differentiate if you’re working on this years car, next year or 2023. It’s what you spend in a season. You can’t “use” 2022 money in 2021 or something.

SiLo

Jolle wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 11:03
SiLo wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 10:45
BassVirolla wrote:

It is and it doesn’t differentiate if you’re working on this years car, next year or 2023. It’s what you spend in a season. You can’t “use” 2022 money in 2021 or something.
Yeah that's what I understood. Any extra time taken to develop the 2021 car will absolutely impact the 2022 development program unless it's managed incredibly well.
Felipe Baby!