2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

SiLo wrote:
25 Aug 2021, 12:15
Manoah2u wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 22:38
Marty_Y wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 21:32

I don't know, but I think it's more about Toto having insider knowledge about Daimler/Mercedes-Benz buying Aston Martin shares and collaborating on future projects.

But personally I don't think there's any case to answer, or at least anything that could be proved.
there's likely more to it, if it was 'as simple as that' then there wouldn't be an actual investigation.
let's say it's like the pink mercs. its pretty obvious that some card has been played, and the only thing that really 'got em' was that brake duct. I guess this investigation will be like that 'brake duct'.
It was a load of rubbish from a rubbish newspaper in Canada. Already been dismissed by the regulators:

https://www.ft.com/content/243b02b8-eda ... 6a66bf154f
Not that this will stop some, more extreme, Red Bull fans from bringing it up in the future of course lol
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

diffuser

ringo wrote:
17 Aug 2021, 16:27
I am not convinced of their pace.
I believe the Redbull just was not setup well in Hungary. Max complained of understeer and never seemed to have been pleased with the balance. This may have been because of the tyres. So I am expecting redbull to better understand the tyres and make the necessary adjustments. I do not think Mercedes had any longstanding advantage from the new tyres, it was more than likely redbull underperforming in terms of setup and possibly driver comfort with the car.
Redbull will be pushing to make the outright best car, and just like the end of 2020 where mercedes did not have their hands tied behind their backs, Redbull can easily dominate in 3 to 4 races into the second half. They are very hungry for these championships.
Mercedes look like they are more i. favour of the long term plans with the new regs and will lean on Hamilton to Pull somethibg out of the bag to win this championship, but it's not their highest priority. Their focus is to repeat what they did pre hybrid era.. start working very early to have an advantage that lasts for years.
They've had that problem at few front limited tracks... They just were able to setup around it at those tracks. Like in France they were able to go to a lower DF rear wing give up some time in S3 but making up more time in S2. Stay tuned and we'll see what they can and can't do!

zibby43
zibby43

People are sleepin’ hard on the Silverstone upgrades.

Merc played them down initially, which should have been the first clue that they were going to be good. There are no magic bullets, but there are successful upgrades that can be worth 4 tenths or so.

Second, not only did the upgrades likely add performance, they also probably widened the setup window significantly, which makes it much easier to access the car’s inherent pace (and sooner in the weekend, which has removed those manic FP3 changes we had seen all year prior to the upgrades).

There was a report from a reliable technical outlet the Merc completely changed their development path of the car in March/April, which is one reason why there was a lack of constant upgrades. It’s likely the talk of “next year” was just the narrative of choice to replace “we goofed initially in our endeavor to overcome the massive disadvantage these regs dumped on us and Aston.”

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

zibby43 wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 03:59

Merc played them down initially, which should have been the first clue that they were going to be good. There are no magic bullets, but there are successful upgrades that can be worth 4 tenths or so.

Second, not only did the upgrades likely add performance, they also probably widened the setup window significantly, which makes it much easier to access the car’s inherent pace (and sooner in the weekend, which has removed those manic FP3 changes we had seen all year prior to the upgrades).

There was a report from a reliable technical outlet the Merc completely changed their development path of the car in March/April, which is one reason why there was a lack of constant upgrades. It’s likely the talk of “next year” was just the narrative of choice to replace “we goofed initially in our endeavor to overcome the massive disadvantage these regs dumped on us and Aston.”
Definitely, also it may be too early to say for sure, but it appears that the upgrades have helped massively with getting the tyres into the optimal operating window for qualification (not needing to do multiple prep laps etc.).

zibby43
zibby43

Marty_Y wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 04:12
zibby43 wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 03:59

Definitely, also it may be too early to say for sure, but it appears that the upgrades have helped massively with getting the tyres into the optimal operating window for qualification (not needing to do multiple prep laps etc.).
Tire prep will be absolutely critical this weekend with the cool temps and long nature of the lap. I think we’ll definitely have some more clarity on that issue after this weekend.

I’m keen to see if Merc bring their Spec 3 PUs here. If they do, don’t be surprised if they’re slow in practice, as they run their new PUs ultra conservatively in practice in their first weekend in use.

zibby43
zibby43

Speaking of the tires, a friend of mine sent me a Motorsport Total link where Ralf Schumacher gives his opinion.

Excerpt:

Schumacher sees a similar effect as with the revolutionary DAS system last year. "They now have the situation with the tires as they did last year. In the first few months they had temperature problems and couldn't find any grip. For whatever reason, they have now found a solution," he said.

maxxer
maxxer

maxxer wrote:
24 Aug 2021, 02:27
Toto might have been naughty

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/91930/te ... ading.html
Indeed when you mentioned the posts below it , sorry for posting this gpblog needs some admins

djones
djones

Just seen a Sky interview with Russell and Bottas. I’m 90% sure Bottas is staying by the body language.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

djones wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 00:20
Just seen a Sky interview with Russell and Bottas. I’m 90% sure Bottas is staying by the body language.
Russell needs to find another manager in that case. He's impressed in the Williams but if he doesn't get in to a car near the front of the grid, he'll become the classic "what might have been" driver.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jumpingfish

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 00:23
djones wrote:
Russell needs to find another manager in that case. He's impressed in the Williams but if he doesn't get in to a car near the front of the grid, he'll become the classic "what might have been" driver.
Perhaps Russell needs to "accidentally" be near the Red Bull garage or talk to Marko, ask how he is doing, and all this should be in full view of the journalists with cameras. Send signals to the Mercedes management, in other words, that the option "either Williams or Mercedes" is not the only one.

NathanOlder

Surely next year we will see closer racing and wheel to wheel combat will be even more important. And the whole world knows Bottas is poor at this?!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Morteza

For those looking for cool wallpapers :D
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Jolle
Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 10:03
Surely next year we will see closer racing and wheel to wheel combat will be even more important. And the whole world knows Bottas is poor at this?!
Closer racing is what we’re hoping. So far every big rule change gave us the opposite.
With next year, new aero, new suspension, new tires, it might be beneficial to have a solid driver in the car who knows the team and they way they communicate (and they know what feedback to expect). Sunday is just a small part of the (second) drivers choice. Their main focus will/should be the 44 car. Will Hamilton be able to perform better with workload shared with Bottas or being pushed with a learning Russell?

zibby43
zibby43

djones wrote:
Russell is in already for Merc.

Merc are waiting for Alfa to sort Bottas’ seat.

adrianjordan

zibby43 wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 17:03
djones wrote:
Russell is in already for Merc.

Merc are waiting for Alfa to sort Bottas’ seat.
Sounds plausible, but do you have a source?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️