2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

adrianjordan wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 09:08
Wouter wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 20:23
AMuS: "Red Bull has filed a complaint with the FIA over Mercedes' new trick"

It doesn't stop with the rumour mill after the Belgian Grand Prix. Again there are rumours about the battle between Mercedes and Red Bull Racing. Red Bull has filed a complaint with the FIA about Mercedes' engine.

In his new video for Auto, Motor und Sport Michael Schmidt talks about rumors from Spa. Red Bull would claim to have filed a complaint with the FIA. Ferrari is also said to be involved, but according to Schmidt Ferrari doesn't say much.

Mercedes is said to have a trick that seems to be legal at first. "They somehow manage to cool down the air in the plenum in the acceleration phase. This produces significantly more horsepower in that phase, but not as much by the end. This could be true when you see how Mercedes come out of the corners", Schmidt says in the video. The plenum of an F1 car is part of the airflow structure.

Schmidt says the trick is legal in itself, but the issue is where the sensors measure the temperatures in the plenum, as there is only a certain temperature allowed. "I don't think you're allowed to be below ten degrees [in terms of outside temperature] and Red Bull claims the sensors are in a place where it's always made sure it's warm enough."

The next two or three races should see more clarification on the matter. If we don't hear anything, AMuS says Mercedes' trick is completely legal.
AMuS Formel Schmidt Video [German] at 14.30 min.:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... spa-regen/
This system in whatever form it exists has been on the car since the start of the season. It's taken them this long to decide to protest? Seems unlikely to me.

The article talks about rumours etc. Given how vocal Horner et al can be, if there was actually a protest then I think we'd have heard about it by now from them.
Remember Lando saying sometime ago there's free laptime coming from mercedes PU someway down the line? Maybe it's connected in some way.

N21
N21

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 09:51
It's a sore Horner/RedBull camp that is looking at any straw to annoy and offset the Mercedes camp with the little hope that it might help them win the title.
You do realize that this works both ways right? Regardless of how you feel about the teams and where your preference lies, both RB and Merc are doing this.

Wouter

This morning a new article on AMuS , this time not a video but written tekst.

Is the trick in the intercooler?

Since the British GP, Red Bull and Ferrari have suspected that Mercedes has achieved performance. Now the opponents think they know what it is about. Red Bull has sent a request to the FIA.
Since the British GP, Red Bull has had the feeling that Mercedes has significantly improved its performance in the acceleration phases.
Ferrari should also be on the matter. Both teams think they know how the world champion gained an advantage at the beginning of the straight.
In English: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... -red-bull/

German: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -red-bull/
The Power of Dreams!

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Manoah2u wrote:
It's a sore Horner/RedBull camp that is looking at any straw to annoy and offset the Mercedes camp with the little hope that it might help them win the title.
I hate this narrative that if you lodge a complaint it is immediately seen as 'sore' by many people. A team will never complain unless they believe they have reason to. We will never know what those reasons are. It could be because the information they have about it suggests it may be illegal. They might be developing a similar system and want to check the legality of it. Even if they are just doing it to just mess with Mercedes and distract them, it isn't 'sore'.

etusch

godlameroso

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 12:11
Manoah2u wrote:
I hate this narrative that if you lodge a complaint it is immediately seen as 'sore' by many people. A team will never complain unless they believe they have reason to. We will never know what those reasons are. It could be because the information they have about it suggests it may be illegal. They might be developing a similar system and want to check the legality of it. Even if they are just doing it to just mess with Mercedes and distract them, it isn't 'sore'.
Well said, just like Mr.Wolff said that he would use every avenue at his disposal(technical/political/theatrical) to ensure an edge for his team, so too are teams employing the same strategy. Mercedes should be flattered that others are copying the winning strategy. If anything it's Mercedes being sore at being outdone at their own game.
Saishū kōnā

RZS10

I remember reading that someone involved in F1 (really can't remember who it was) said something along the lines that there's loads and loads of various inquiries being done by all teams all the time and that most of them just never make their way into the public eye or the news cycle - i think the mere fact that there's sometimes upwards of 30 TDs per season speaks for that.

Zynerji

I would expect the cost-cap to drive even more of this, as chasing a development route that would end up banned later would be just wasteful of the most critical resource.

Look for WAY MORE clarification requests during this phase of the F1 evolution!

ringo

Is this the redbull team thread or the mercedes engine thread?
For Sure!!

godlameroso

ringo wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 18:58
It seems you can't mention Red Bull without mentioning Mercedes, just like you can't post in the Red Bull thread about the Red Bull team without Mercedes fans dropping by to post their two cents. Yin-yang of competition.
Saishū kōnā

Ryar

ringo wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 18:58
Where exactly is the problem? Red Bull team has lodged a complaint against a competitor, which happens to be Mercedes and people are discussing it in Red Bull thread, obviously. Is that a problem? No one is singing pions of Mercedes or Hamilton here, to then term this as a Mercedes thread.

Besides, it's an interesting topic and if Mercedes have been caught pants down, then Red Bull fans would be happy as it helps the team in the competition. Hence, it absolutely makes sense to discuss here.
Hakuna Matata!

Ryar

Manoah2u wrote:
But that has been the cherished tradition of F1. Toto/Mercedes/Hamilton were equally sore and kept making remarks in the media about Honda's straight line speed in Azerbaijan/France. I am sure they influenced a TD on that.
Hakuna Matata!

godlameroso

It seems RBR's focus on the mission makes Mercedes fans sweat a little. Speaking of sweating, driver fitness will be pushed to the limit around here, this circuit is pretty tough over the long haul. Cardio will come into play, and energy management at all levels driver/team/power unit will be key to victory.
Saishū kōnā

ispano6

_cerber1 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 08:45
ispano6 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 07:57
Go back and watch the F1 2020 Portimao FP1(and FP2/FP3 while you're at it) highlights and it will jog your memory. That track has quite a bit of run-off and space too. Any off is a yellow at that location, however brief, which disrupts others passing by.
Most of the trainings are held with yellow flags, which is why they exist, but thanks to them, pilots feel more confident in qualifying and racing. Your theory that Max has a decisive advantage after a few laps on the track in an old car will not hold up, a regular simulator session will give the pilot more insight. I will be very interested in what you write if Max does not take pole on Saturday.
When did I say that he will have a decisive advantage? Did you read my post closely? I said HE MAY HAVE AN ADVANTAGE.

Familiarity builds confidence. You already have a starting point at where some of the limits are to avoid over speed and can get to the limits quicker within the time you're given. Did you go back and watch Fp1-3 of Portimao? Seems you've avoided the point I was making about not being able to get into the rhythm due to others going off, etc. In any case, I'm not alone in my "theory".
Verstappen has the advantage that he has already driven a few laps on the renewed Zandvoort circuit. The Dutchman doesn't find it necessary to practice on the simulator, which many drivers do. As an experienced expert, Rosberg understands how helpful that tool can be. "You learn all sorts of things, like the rhythm and where to steer. But the last details you have to find out on the circuit," he says in conversation with De Telegraaf.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/92726/ro ... -game.html

ringo

godlameroso wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 20:33
It seems RBR's focus on the mission makes Mercedes fans sweat a little. Speaking of sweating, driver fitness will be pushed to the limit around here, this circuit is pretty tough over the long haul. Cardio will come into play, and energy management at all levels driver/team/power unit will be key to victory.
I am redbull fan by the way. I support 3 teams.
I don't think anything will come of the air cooling rumour. I do not think sufficient expansion can take place for considerable drop in temperature.
As for the next race, yes Cardio is critical. It looks to me like a good track for both redbull and mercedes. Not many heavy braking zones.. so possibly less advantage for the bulls, also like ERS will be at a premium?
For Sure!!