Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Jolle wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:51
NathanOlder wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:47
Jolle wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:46

I think the only thing they did to the HAAS was taking a heck saw to the floor....
Yeah, so next year they could really jump up the order well in to the midfield ? Oh I have such high hopes for next year being like an F3 season! [-o<
I think all back marker fans are hoping for a Williams 2014 season for their team. But it all depends how much resources they have to develop the 22 car. Of course, Williams had a pile of Martini money and a Mercedes PU for that, while I have no clue of HAAS has extra fertiliser money and the PU side is not the strongest...
Very true. It would be interesting to know the budgets of the smaller teams this year (Will, Alfa, Haas, Alpha). They must all have high ambitions for 2022. Having the right drivers will be so important. If Alfa Romeo get hold of Bottas they have half a chance to score some decent result. Williams and Haas could miss out with poor driver pairings.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

nokivasara
nokivasara

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:06
Manoah2u wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 09:49

Whats more likely to happen is this:

Mercedes : Hamilton & Russell
Alfa Romeo : Bottas & Schumacher
Williams : Latifi & De Vries
Haas : Mazepin & Ilott

Yeah I agree with this, although I don't think Mick has done anything to show he's worthy to move up to a better team. He's up against arguuably the worst driver over the last 5 years, and he's not exactly putting him to shame. Look at Russell over the last 3 years, he was able to shine in easily the worst car on the grid. Mick has shown none of this. I guess if he gets the Alfa seat, its more down to Gio being poor rather than Mick being good.
I think Alfa Romeo should keep Gio. Mick can stay with Haas for another year or two, he's young and there's no seats available at Ferrari anytime soon anyway.

NathanOlder

nokivasara wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:53
NathanOlder wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 09:49

Whats more likely to happen is this:

Mercedes : Hamilton & Russell
Alfa Romeo : Bottas & Schumacher
Williams : Latifi & De Vries
Haas : Mazepin & Ilott

Yeah I agree with this, although I don't think Mick has done anything to show he's worthy to move up to a better team. He's up against arguuably the worst driver over the last 5 years, and he's not exactly putting him to shame. Look at Russell over the last 3 years, he was able to shine in easily the worst car on the grid. Mick has shown none of this. I guess if he gets the Alfa seat, its more down to Gio being poor rather than Mick being good.
I think Alfa Romeo should keep Gio. Mick can stay with Haas for another year or two, he's young and there's no seats available at Ferrari anytime soon anyway.
The only thing I would say is, Gio has has plenty of time now , and still doesn't look any better than an aging Kimi on the verge of retirement who was probably past his best 5yrs ago. Unfortunately Ferrari have a similar problem to RedBull right now, they dont have any young drivers outside their main team that look good enough and importantly ready enough for F1.

As you pointed out, at least Ferrari have 2 , young top top drivers in their main team.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle
Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
Jolle wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:51
NathanOlder wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:47

Yeah, so next year they could really jump up the order well in to the midfield ? Oh I have such high hopes for next year being like an F3 season! [-o<
I think all back marker fans are hoping for a Williams 2014 season for their team. But it all depends how much resources they have to develop the 22 car. Of course, Williams had a pile of Martini money and a Mercedes PU for that, while I have no clue of HAAS has extra fertiliser money and the PU side is not the strongest...
Very true. It would be interesting to know the budgets of the smaller teams this year (Will, Alfa, Haas, Alpha). They must all have high ambitions for 2022. Having the right drivers will be so important. If Alfa Romeo get hold of Bottas they have half a chance to score some decent result. Williams and Haas could miss out with poor driver pairings.
I think the fans are having that ambition more then a team like HAAS. Their ambition is at the level of "we want to be in F1", as shown by the struggles to keep the team relatively cheap on track. Investments are zero while drivers are chosen for their name, connection and money.

I also think lots of people expect next year to be the great equaliser with the cost cap. I expect one or two teams with a good lead over the midfield, just like the last few seasons. Although less visible, we already have a cap in development for years and that didn't help a bit. Cost cap is a pure investment guarantee that you, as an investor, before investing in a team, you will know how much will be the max. Suddenly with the cap Daimler or PMI just can't move the financial goal posts again, as they did a few times in the past.

Zynerji

So, how does the cost cap impact 2023? Can they co-develop 2022 and 2023 with split budget accounting? Can you use 2023 tech that was accounted for on 2023 spending while still in 2022?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Mick could stay with Haas, true, but the problem is that Haas is quickly becoming Team Mazepin powered by Roebels and the Kremlin, not powered by Ferrari.
Mick has had the chance now to experience a (bad) F1 car, see how easy it is to make mistakes and trash an esspecially problematic car, yet beat your super rich teammate.
It was a pressure free environment where he could still make mistakes without real aftermath.

It's not unreasonable he stays with Haas, and sure, Haas is probably going to have a better vehicle next season,
but arguably they're not in the likes to have a much better car than this year to be fair.

Mazepin's influence will greatly improve on the team, and it's likely Haas themselves are going to slowly step back from the project,
which means it's going to essentially become Uralkali Mazepin F1 team. Not the place to be, to be fair.

So if we're looking about 'deserving' a better team is not really part of the picture. It's part of 'neccesity'.
And to be fair, Mick NEEDS to be at a different place, and only Alfa Romeo is available.

Russell deserves a different team, Mick NEEDS a different team.
@ Alfa romeo, his name is going to be worth more, and he's able to put in some better performances.

With Russell @ Mercedes, that's another benefit as he won't be compared to him to be judged, so his 'image', good or bad, will recieve less impact.
It's hard to judge Mick, i don't think he's the wonderchild his father was, but that's not to say he won't bring some competition to the field.

I'm sure the Alfa environment will also be greatly, greatly better to 'thrive' and grow.

Now, him alongside Bottas is interesting. Bottas will find himself for the first time in a non-mercedes environment. He will have to adapt.
Personally i never concidered Bottas spectacular so i rather think it's not even such a big deal to beat Bottas. However, there's also the issue of getting beaten permanently by Bottas,
which would not do too good to your career - even though it could be defended that Bottas did drive alongside the new GOAT.

Bottas would be a great experience to learn from for Mick, and it's going to be a benefit for Alfa too.

Giovanazzi isn't doing bad - but he isn't really good to be fair either. It's more likely that Mick will be more or less on par with Gio, but his 'brand' is worth much more than forgettable Giovanazzi.

If Mick then turns out to shine and bloom, then there's a path to Ferrari by 2024. If Ferrari needs to replace their driver(s) by 2024, and it turns out Bottas is an asset, we might see Valterri end up there instead. So a combo Bottas - Schumacher could be pretty interesting.

Meanwhile, they can house Illott @ Haas and see how he'd fare.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle
Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 14:12
So, how does the cost cap impact 2023? Can they co-develop 2022 and 2023 with split budget accounting? Can you use 2023 tech that was accounted for on 2023 spending while still in 2022?
The cost cap isn't assigned to a car, it's assigned to a year, like everything you do (in the departments falling under the cost cap) during that year, doesn't matter for which car, falls under that cap. For instance, this is 2021, they are using the 145 mln for the development of the 21 car, the design of the 22 car and possible even some innovations that will be on the 23 or 24 car.

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 14:20
Zynerji wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 14:12
The cost cap isn't assigned to a car, it's assigned to a year, like everything you do (in the departments falling under the cost cap) during that year, doesn't matter for which car, falls under that cap. For instance, this is 2021, they are using the 145 mln for the development of the 21 car, the design of the 22 car and possible even some innovations that will be on the 23 or 24 car.
So, it is single account accounting depending on the current year?

I guess that makes things a bit easier. I wonder how soon the back markers will switch to copying the leading teams' solutions for 2023 in 2022. :?:

nokivasara
nokivasara

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:56
nokivasara wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

The only thing I would say is, Gio has has plenty of time now , and still doesn't look any better than an aging Kimi on the verge of retirement who was probably past his best 5yrs ago. Unfortunately Ferrari have a similar problem to RedBull right now, they dont have any young drivers outside their main team that look good enough and importantly ready enough for F1.

As you pointed out, at least Ferrari have 2 , young top top drivers in their main team.
You're right, Gio has been around for a few years now, I think he's in his late 20's by now? I think he does pretty well, obviously not a WDC in the making but a decent midfield driver, staying out of trouble. Maybe he would bring in consistent points finishes if the car was better. I wonder how much speed Kimi has lost, he had 12 podiums in his last year with Ferrari in 2018. He has 2 points and 3 P11 finishes this year, just outside the points.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Ryar wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 08:29
Edax wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 07:58
Ryar wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 04:39
How would Toto becomes more powerful? Toto may be Driver manager for Bottas and De Vries, but Ferrari controls Alfa.
If the story is correct the deal would include Alfa switching to Merc engines
It makes no sense. Alfa belongs to Fiat group and why would they want to "BUY" engines from someone outside of their group (free or paid or discounted), when they have Ferrari in it.
I am presume they are bought out and change to

Sauber-Andretti Mercedes

Zynerji

f1jcw wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 14:55
Ryar wrote:
Edax wrote:

It makes no sense. Alfa belongs to Fiat group and why would they want to "BUY" engines from someone outside of their group (free or paid or discounted), when they have Ferrari in it.

Sauber-Andretti Mercedes
I see it as Andretti-Haas more than Sauber-Andretti.

It just makes way more sense in every dimension.

McMika98
McMika98

Jolle wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 00:24
McMika98 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 00:06
Next year will be a clean slate and provide opportunity for the true racers to outshine. Budget and new regs should level the field so the car should not matter especially in the first half.
The big thing is the word “should”, or the hope that the field is closer together.
Budget cap might work but the last attempt didn’t work as planned (the cap in wind tunnel time and CFD flops).

My prediction is one or two teams with a significant lead and the rest are playing catch up for years again.
With the ground effect, teams won't be lacking in downforce. There are limits to how much gains one can get, so every team will be faster around a corner. Its just the fine details.
Engine could be a big factor though.

Jolle
Jolle

McMika98 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 15:30
Jolle wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 00:24
McMika98 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 00:06
Next year will be a clean slate and provide opportunity for the true racers to outshine. Budget and new regs should level the field so the car should not matter especially in the first half.
The big thing is the word “should”, or the hope that the field is closer together.
Budget cap might work but the last attempt didn’t work as planned (the cap in wind tunnel time and CFD flops).

My prediction is one or two teams with a significant lead and the rest are playing catch up for years again.
With the ground effect, teams won't be lacking in downforce. There are limits to how much gains one can get, so every team will be faster around a corner. Its just the fine details.
Engine could be a big factor though.
Downforce is never a real problem, reducing drag is. Don’t forget, from being first to last is just a few %. And those tiny margins are all those details.

politburo
politburo

f1jcw wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 14:55
Ryar wrote:
Edax wrote:

Sauber-Andretti Mercedes
Alfa Romeo already renewed their technical and commercial rights contract with Sauber (Confirmed). And it seemed they are going to continue with Ferrari engines until the end of the engine freeze in 2025 (Rumors). It would only make sense to do this, since they probably designed the 2022 car well in advance, and as we've seen with McLaren, changing engines is not a trivial endeavour.

So really even if Bottas joins, it wil be atmost the Alfa-Romeo Sauber Ferrari.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

politburo
politburo

The scenario where there are no changes to the grid in 2022 is becoming more likely as time passes. But it seems to all depend on Mercedes, and Raikonnen.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"