2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Morteza

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Chuckjr wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 07:17
I think the pairing will be a strong one as far as raw talent is concerned, but I think Russell will give Ham fits, and it will be interesting to see how Toto handles this. That said, I don’t get the killer instinct when I see Russell interviewed and in his overall demeanor. Maybe he is a lion on track, but man I don’t see it. I sense he is a bit to nice, and that won’t do him any good.

Can I just say I don’t understand why there is such renown for winning in a car that is on average 1.25-2 seconds or more faster than any on the field for some 7 years. Why is it a big deal to win races and set all kinds of records, if your car is faster than all other punters save one for more than half your F1 career? Just saying that doesn’t make sense not trying to troll or be unreasonable.

Anyway, glad to see Bottas go. The fork was in that guy some time ago.
Perhaps you are misinformed. The Mercedes was never 1-2 sec faster than the next best car except in 2014. There were years where they could not get pole for a large part of the season. If bottas was the lead driver at Merc in 2017 and 2018 he would not have been champion. That’s just a fact. It’s like some of you guys are newbies or you just have severe amnesia about past f1 seasons or you simply make stuff up to suit your agenda. Annoying.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Phil wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 12:29
I find the (multiple year) signing of Russel far more interesting in regards of Verstappen hoping to drive for Mercedes in the forseable future.

Unless Russel proves to be another Bottas - big prospect, at least qualifying, but cant quite cut it in the race - then of course they have all options for an adequate replacement once Hamilton resigns.

Of course, multiple year could mean just two, like Lewis, but it feels like at least 3 years..
Verstappen is not hoping to join Merc any time soon. Especially after the Silverstone shenanigans it’s clear the relationship has been severed. He better hope Rbr can continue to give him a top car because I believe the Mercedes door has forever closed, especially now that Russell is there. And I doubt he’ll waNt to team up with Charles at Ferrari. Mclaren might be a possibility if they finally come good.

SiLo wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 12:59
I think Merc bringing Russel in for 2022 is pretty smart, because it's an entirely new platform to learn from day 1. So from a car perspective he should be getting up to speed fairly quickly compared to Hamilton.
I have the opposite view. Had COVID not delayed the program and we were up & running already I’d say yes, perfect time to get RUS in; but not in the transitional year. McLaren, Ferrari, Redbull will all have continuity. The Merc pair have to learn each other’s language as well as the new concept and then look to develop the car forward.

We’ve just come from a race where HAM missed a critical session, and yet it was still seamless because HAM understands BOTs direction. There is going to be some difficulties IMO; I think Merc may take a step backwards next year. Wrong timing
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

PlatinumZealot

Russell is said to have a Jenson Button-esque driving style so that will be interesting. Remember, Button was defintely no slouch, he was well within two tenths most of the time, and ahead more often than not. There were occurences where he could not make head or tails of the car's behaviour though. If it has anything to do with that smooth driving style it may be a preview of what to expect with George. Decent qaulifying, strong race pace, but difficulties when the car is being a diva. Can't wait.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Zynerji

214270 wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 14:47
SiLo wrote:
I think Merc bringing Russel in for 2022 is pretty smart, because it's an entirely new platform to learn from day 1. So from a car perspective he should be getting up to speed fairly quickly compared to Hamilton.
I have the opposite view. Had COVID not delayed the program and we were up & running already I’d say yes, perfect time to get RUS in; but not in the transitional year. McLaren, Ferrari, Redbull will all have continuity. The Merc pair have to learn each other’s language as well as the new concept and then look to develop the car forward.

We’ve just come from a race where HAM missed a critical session, and yet it was still seamless because HAM understands BOTs direction. There is going to be some difficulties IMO; I think Merc may take a step backwards next year. Wrong timing
If Russell didn't just sit down in Lewis' car last year, and almost take pole/win, I'd be inclined to agree.

The fact that he was SO FAST immediately in an unfamiliar car tells me that with he and Hamilton both learning the new 2022 Merc together will be just fine.

El Scorchio

Zynerji wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 17:18
214270 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

If Russell didn't just sit down in Lewis' car last year, and almost take pole/win, I'd be inclined to agree.

The fact that he was SO FAST immediately in an unfamiliar car tells me that with he and Hamilton both learning the new 2022 Merc together will be just fine.
Russell is an exceptional talent who is used to a Mercedes engine, and he'd already driven many test miles in the car and no doubt the sim, so it's not really surprising he was up to speed very quickly. I think he'd have struggled somewhat more in an actual unfamiliar car.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:
I find the (multiple year) signing of Russel far more interesting in regards of Verstappen hoping to drive for Mercedes in the forseable future.

Unless Russel proves to be another Bottas - big prospect, at least qualifying, but cant quite cut it in the race - then of course they have all options for an adequate replacement once Hamilton resigns.

Of course, multiple year could mean just two, like Lewis, but it feels like at least 3 years.
Assuming Max wants to drive for Mercedes - and that's only likely if the Mercedes is the class of the field in the new rules - then he's got two years of Lewis to wait and then try for the seat next to George / whoever.

I could see Max staying at Red Bull and then going to Ferrari. I don't see him as a Mercedes man for some reason. Don't know why, just doesn't feel right to me.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 17:23
Phil wrote:

Of course, multiple year could mean just two, like Lewis, but it feels like at least 3 years.
Assuming Max wants to drive for Mercedes - and that's only likely if the Mercedes is the class of the field in the new rules - then he's got two years of Lewis to wait and then try for the seat next to George / whoever.

I could see Max staying at Red Bull and then going to Ferrari. I don't see him as a Mercedes man for some reason. Don't know why, just doesn't feel right to me.
I don't see a path for him at either team, while Leclerc and Russell are there, if they keep performing as they are. Both teams will feel they have championship calibre drivers if they can produce a capable car, so why bring in Verstappen? The way to win in a close battle is to have a solid co-operative driver pairing. One of those two plus Verstappen will end in tears. You could easily argue both drivers are just as good as him as well.

ringo

Phil wrote:

He looks like a smart guy that will learn how to improve his pace even if he is slightly underwhelming when the season starts.
For some reason i think Lewis will score highee with russel at teammate. Russel may better fight off the team's rivals better than Bottas did
For Sure!!

Jolle
Jolle

El Scorchio wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 17:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 17:23
Phil wrote:

I don't see a path for him at either team, while Leclerc and Russell are there, if they keep performing as they are. Both teams will feel they have championship calibre drivers if they can produce a capable car, so why bring in Verstappen? The way to win in a close battle is to have a solid co-operative driver pairing. One of those two plus Verstappen will end in tears. You could easily argue both drivers are just as good as him as well.
Don't forget Hamilton was the boy wonder back in 2007, got the title in 2008 and with the break from Daimler in 2009, it looked like he would be a one-time WC for ever... Who knows... maybe Verstappen wins this year, Russell dominates the next half decade while Audi takes control over Williams, with in 2026 and onwards a team of Verstappen/Albon.

I don't think anyone foreshadowed the last decade in 2009.

pursue_one's

ITALIAN GRAND PRIX - Mercedes considering Italian GP engine switch and penalties
https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/69484 ... penalties/

Speaking at the IAA MOBILITY in Munich, team principal Toto Wolff said: "Our engines…critical component that fails, has failed at times. Well, we need to take another one in Italy this week.”

A Mercedes spokesperson has confirmed to GPFans Global that no decision had yet been taken but that Monza could present an opportunity to add a fourth engine into its pool and that should the opportunity present itself, the team would be foolish not to take it.

Although not confirming which driver could take the new unit, Hamilton's Zandvoort problems make him the likely candidate.

Mogster

Zynerji wrote:
214270 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

It suggests that either Russell is a very adaptable driver, what he wants from the car coincides with what Hamilton wants or the Mercedes is one of the easier cars on the grid to jump into. It does indicate that Russell won’t have any particular problems adapting his driving to Mercedes design philosophy, new cars next year mean they can make him comfortable also.

b2bL44
b2bL44

pursue_one's wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 09:40
ITALIAN GRAND PRIX - Mercedes considering Italian GP engine switch and penalties
https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/69484 ... penalties/

Speaking at the IAA MOBILITY in Munich, team principal Toto Wolff said: "Our engines…critical component that fails, has failed at times. Well, we need to take another one in Italy this week.”

A Mercedes spokesperson has confirmed to GPFans Global that no decision had yet been taken but that Monza could present an opportunity to add a fourth engine into its pool and that should the opportunity present itself, the team would be foolish not to take it.

Although not confirming which driver could take the new unit, Hamilton's Zandvoort problems make him the likely candidate.
This comment was made by Toto in passing and with a grin on his face, I wouldn't take this seriously.

JPower
JPower

Mogster wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 09:57
Zynerji wrote:
214270 wrote:

It suggests that either Russell is a very adaptable driver, what he wants from the car coincides with what Hamilton wants or the Mercedes is one of the easier cars on the grid to jump into. It does indicate that Russell won’t have any particular problems adapting his driving to Mercedes design philosophy, new cars next year mean they can make him comfortable also.
It suggests that Russell was already very familiar with how to drive the Mercedes from previous testing.