2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

George being 13yrs younger will help the 2 drivers stay at peace. If They were similar age, then it causes a problem. Look at examples like Schumacher/Rosberg , Massa/Bottas, Kimi/Vettel. They all got on well enough as they were at different stages of their careers. Times where there seemed to be trouble like Vettel / Webber or even Seb/Charles was when the team set out a number 1 and number 2 driver. The number 1 driver then expects to be entitled to everything and the number 2 driver at times was just too fast. So I don't see any trouble between George and Lewis. Lewis is on the way down, George on the way up, both a fully fledged Mercedes men so won't do anything that will destroy their futures with the brand. Russell being with Mercedes since 2016 I think it was, and Lewis for 23 years or so.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Unc1eM0nty

Gillian wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 19:40
I am not British and I like Sky. Crofty says dumb stuff but I don't mind. To be honest they are a bit biased at times, but not excessive in my opinion.
I am British and Crofty just says dumb things, simple as :wink:

Gillian
Gillian

Broadcast in my native language also has dumb talk so I think it's normal nowadays. Just don't take it to seriously I guess

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 00:25
Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 23:49
Hamilton has stated that he doesn't get much from using the simulator. I wonder if it's because it's not real. Perhaps his way of driving just doesn't translate to the simulator.
I doubt that! But good sim drivers can get by with less feedback cues compared to real vehicles. Perhaps this ability to drive the car fast even with a distilled set of information helps in the real world?
The thing about a sim is that it's a sim. It's not the same as driving a real car. Same with flying sims vs real flying. It's all visual cues and none (or few) of the real feelings that one gets. If one is a "seat of the pants" driver, not getting the usual cues will mean it's not much of a simulator for you.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 13:10
The thing about a sim is that it's a sim. It's not the same as driving a real car. Same with flying sims vs real flying. It's all visual cues and none (or few) of the real feelings that one gets. If one is a "seat of the pants" driver, not getting the usual cues will mean it's not much of a simulator for you.
fwiw
I think everything as quoted is .... wrong .... and ...

don't F1 type sims reproduce motion to essentially the same extent as full-motion flying sims ? .... and ....
even PC-based ie non-motion flight sims can be compelling to the experienced 'hot' flyer
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 10 Sep 2021, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

nimoraca
nimoraca

nacho wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 22:53
nimoraca wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 21:41

The only race he did for Merc, he got outqualified by Bottas and was not able to drive away from Bottas in the race. The only thing he did better than Bottas was the start.
Not really, Bottas was on pole but Russell had good qualifying, start and race. We never got to see if Bottas could have made a move but you can't expect Russell to runaway from a regular driver, it was a great drive.
It was a great drive. Bottas driving alongside Hamilton all these years has, somehow, made him look like an average driver which he isn't, and he will prove that next year. Hamilton has massively outqualified all his teammates which includes 3 world champions. He has significantly improved his race management/pace in last 5-6 years. I'm expecting a tough season for young George, but that shouldn't discourage him.

dans79

Tommy Cookers wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 13:21
Just_a_fan wrote:

don't F1 type sims reproduce motion to essentially the same extent as full-motion flying sims ? .... and ....
even PC-based ie non-motion flight sims can be compelling to the experienced 'hot' flyer
No they aren't even close, you aren't going to get multiple g's for a sustained period of time. You aren't going to hear or feel the things like you will in the actual car.

Sims are a sterile environment, And far from perfect. Hence the reason why even though militaries have huge budgets, they still routinely send their pilots out to do Real flight and combat training.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

dans79 wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 13:56
Tommy Cookers wrote:
No they aren't even close, you aren't going to get multiple g's for a sustained period of time. You aren't going to hear or feel the things like you will in the actual car.
Sims are a sterile environment, And far from perfect. Hence the reason why even though militaries have huge budgets, they still routinely send their pilots out to do Real flight and combat training.
is someone saying that full-motion flight sims generate 'multiple gs for a sustained period of time' ?
never
unnecessary
'impossible'
you don't need to reproduce g fully but the model behaves as of it was flying the full g
as does F1
no neither of them is a physical technique/adaption training centrifuge
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 10 Sep 2021, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

nzjrs wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 19:45
the EDGE wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 19:35
nzjrs wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 19:21

F1 offers the extremely partisan and biased Sky (UK) feed to the world audience on its streaming service.
Oh… so it’s not the British media… just sky team?
They are a prominent example of the British media that is foisted upon the rest of the world. I mentioned it because I wasn't sure if you were aware if that's what one gets as the default provided commentary stream when paying for F1TV 👍
They are also an example of British media foisted upon the British. We were all perfectly happy with the free to air coverage, and I continue to watch the superior Channel 4 coverage even though it isn't live.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 23:46
nzjrs wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 20:14
the EDGE wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 20:01
F1TV helpfully provides a second English stream called 'the pit lane channel'. This is also hosted by native English speakers so it provides a nice and direct comparison with the Sky crew - It's then that it becomes easier to really notice the difference in partisanship.

I encourage everyone to check it out, it's a shame it's not more widely watched.
I'd be happy to look at F1TV. But being in the UK I'm not allowed to thanks to Sky having the broadcast rights. As I won't pay them, I have to resort to finding live streams on the internet. It's the Sky broadcast, of course, but it's free.

I dislike Croft - the guy's an over excited puppy most of the time. At least Brundle has driven the current generation of cars even if only pootling around doing a piece for the broadcast. Others are also current or recent racing drivers so at least there is some understanding of the realities of the sport. DiResta's hatred of Hamilton shines through, Davidson gives good assessments of things. They're not a bad bunch if one could just get rid of Croft.
You're not missing out on anything by not being able to watch pitlane channel. Last year it was epic, but then their best commentators have moved on and the ones they have now (brundle jr., rossana, collins) are simply not on their level and there's just no way around it. Personally I can't stand Rossana Tennant's squealing voice every time something's happening and Collins being so obviously anti-RB and pro-Merc is another thing that ruins it for me, but maybe someone else might like that. Brundle jr is so-so. Still prefer anyone from sky over him.

Not to mention pitlane channel is broadcast in 720p at not very high bitrate making image quality borderline unacceptable in my opinion.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Tommy Cookers wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
fwiw
I think everything as quoted is .... wrong .... and ...

Sims don't reproduce the real thing because, well, they don't go around corners at 5g, nor brake at 5g, the body isn't subjected to the stresses and strains of the real thing.

The motion simulation is a way of using the inner ear to fool the brain, but it doesn't replicate the real think in anyway. Yes, it can be immersive but only because the user is busy not thinking about the simulator. But being immersive isn't the same as being realistic. Go back to the early first person shooters on PC e.g. Wolfenstein 3D or Doom - they're not at all realistic but they were immersive because the user got sucked in to them. But no one ever got tired from "running around" in them. Likewise racing simulators.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

The feedback from the modern rigs is pretty amazing though, you can feel everything the front end is doing for sure. You can also replicate what the rear end is doing with vibrating motors etc . Its just a different feeling to what you get being in a real car. The sounds can all be replicated too which helps. So you have full visual , full sound , and all the fee from the front end, a different feel from the rear end. Its pretty damn good. I still take my hands off the wheel when I'm about to crash as the wheel I have can certainly break your thumbs and when spinning a car going in to radillion still makes me say out loud "crap this is gonna hurt" and then realise how silly that sounds :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

jz11
jz11

Merc gifted a new engine to Bottas for beating Lewis :D read it as you like, but pls don't hit me too hard :P

PlatinumZealot

:wink: Tomorrow is qualifying though.

I haven't watched the pre-qualifying but will later. Seems Bottas starts sprint qualyfing ahead.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028