2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
loner

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

ArcticWolfie wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 23:13
loner wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 22:34
so Gasly did 39 laps but 6 tenths behind Hrtley ?!!
i'd bet they were just coding the new PU and Gasly will shine tomorrow
Gasly was having a lot of trouble in the first half of FP2, guess they didn't let him do a fast lap in the second half. But the race trim seemed to be very nice (0.6/0.7s behind Ver/Ham).
i checked it indeed Gasly had better race pace than Hartley , better than ALO and just like HULK this bodes well for Honda i assume since STR have an inferior chassis to Mclaren and Renault
para bellum.

McMika98
McMika98

Pace is not as good as you claim. Just behind Force India with a 7 race engine and Renault. Some more work needs to be done to be competitive.
Based on day report Gasly had messed up with setup but again both drivers were learning the track and playing with margin. Also more to come from PU. Few rare onboards sounded very good on braking and acceleration.

carisi2k

I think the engine performance is what will impress Red Bull the most. The STR13 is not the best chassis but it is great for evolving the Honda engine for when Red Bull will use it in 2019. This is why I think Hartley is safe for 2018 because the STR13 is a development mule for the STR14 and RB15 and bringing in other drivers will upset the development path.

etusch

carisi2k wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 01:24
I think the engine performance is what will impress Red Bull the most. The STR13 is not the best chassis but it is great for evolving the Honda engine for when Red Bull will use it in 2019. This is why I think Hartley is safe for 2018 because the STR13 is a development mule for the STR14 and RB15 and bringing in other drivers will upset the development path.
From that point of view he maybe choosed because of hybrid experience

nzjrs

techman wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 21:47
looks like the mechanical grip is gone. i was hoping they put more rear wing to get more grip. interesting to see the race pace. dont be suprised if hartly qualifies ahead of gasly, a suprise. i feel there is a french connection here, and we know how proud gasly is, he is trying to make renault look good for redbull to sign renault again.
:lol: :lol: me thinks techman is not a very tech man

etusch

Jonathan Eddolls (Chief Race Engineer): "Overall I'd say it was a fairly productive Friday for us in Canada. Neither of our drivers knew the track, so coming here – similar to Monaco – the plan was to give the drivers lots of laps with a car that is as consistent as possible. We've obviously fitted our next new power unit here, being an updated power unit we needed to carry out the normal mapping work, and everything is working completely as expected. There's been no issues and the driveability is very good. In the first session we ran some mechanical and aerodynamic tests, trying to find the best compromise with the setup on this track. Everything behaved as expected in the first session, we made some further changes for FP2, in particular with Pierre's car. It was a fairly standard plan in FP2, Brendon had a very good session and his finishing position reflects that. I think the setup changes we made went a bit too far for Pierre. He wasn't 100% comfortable with the car so he wasn't quite able to get a lap together, which is why he finished lower on the timesheets. We know if we string it all together and get the setup optimised we can improve that. The Hypersoft was struggling a bit with graining and degradation, so I think many teams were suffering with that. On our car the Hypersoft looked fairly under control. There's a lot for us to go through tonight to decide the best setup tomorrow, and to decide the right strategy direction for Sunday."

Toyoharu Tanabe (Honda F1 Technical Director): "We are running updated PUs on both cars, with the changes mainly linked to the ICE and so far, everything is working as it should, which is encouraging for the rest of the weekend. Apart from that, we worked on our usual Friday programme of finding the best settings for the PU at this circuit. The two sessions were trouble free and so we were able to run through all our planned programme."

loner

New Honda engine ‘better, faster’ says Toro Rosso
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new- ... so-1045245
para bellum.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

loner wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 13:20
New Honda engine ‘better, faster’ says Toro Rosso
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new- ... so-1045245
Honda engine 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2qQmj0_h4

Honda engine 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAjR4_CbPpQ

etusch

I know I know it is just start of the session but TRs look strong

Marti_EF3

They only did one qualy run, most of the other teams did another run at the end of the session with more rubber on track... So, it seems the Honda update and STR is working well... Hartley did 326,4kmh on Speed Trap. 2nd overall on FP3 again...

McMika98
McMika98

Problem with Pierres engine, back to the used old engine for quali. Dammm. Some things never change i guess

Squid
Squid

McMika98 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 19:26
Problem with Pierres engine, back to the used old engine for quali. Dammm. Some things never change i guess
Source?

McMika98
McMika98

Japanese reporter. Meanwhile Albert fabrega reports issues with Sainz engine as well.

Marti_EF3

McMika98 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 19:45
Japanese reporter. Meanwhile Albert fabrega reports issues with Sainz engine as well.
Nobody reported that. It's rare Albert Fabrega didn't say it. Lets hope its only a rumor...

McMika98
McMika98

Confirmation of issue from Honda. Now we get to find out what the delta between the engines are but sadly hopes of Gasly getting points are gone. Hope its just a minor issue