2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Sieper wrote:
14 Jun 2024, 20:12
Well, multiple teams have come much closer very quickly, that is usually impossible if not for bendy aero. AMR was the last one before the current surge.
Gains are also possible because the trailing teams have more development hours and have studied the winning cars for 2-3 years. Its hard to say what a flexible wing in worth as it is only a part of the picture. In any case, I'm sure Red Bull would jump at the opportunity to have more flexible wings if the FIA clarify that there is no problem with what they can see on the other cars.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Jun 2024, 18:06
It looks like Red Bull is seeking clarification on what they will be allowed to do regarding flexible front wings. There is a lot of development potential in this area if given the green light. Red Bull's wings don't move very much compared to that of other teams.

https://formu1a.uno/it/red-bull-ha-mess ... -mercedes/
They've moved their flap angle mechanism from endplates to nose end of flaps this year, which just means they've moved the part that flexes from inside the span to outside and ahead of front wheels, where nose camera can't show.

Scratch that, they are still flexing near the nose despite moving this mechanism... And it's just as much as any other car

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Jun 2024, 22:17
AR3-GP wrote:
14 Jun 2024, 18:06
It looks like Red Bull is seeking clarification on what they will be allowed to do regarding flexible front wings. There is a lot of development potential in this area if given the green light. Red Bull's wings don't move very much compared to that of other teams.

https://formu1a.uno/it/red-bull-ha-mess ... -mercedes/
They've moved their flap angle mechanism from endplates to nose end of flaps this year, which just means they've moved the part that flexes from inside the span to outside and ahead of front wheels, where nose camera can't show.

Scratch that, they are still flexing near the nose despite moving this mechanism... And it's just as much as any other car
All wings flex. Some more than others. If a rules clarification was going to harm Red Bull, they would not ask for one. It is at best explorative, and will likely just be informative of what is allowed beyond their own solutions.

Sieper

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Jun 2024, 20:33
Sieper wrote:
Well, multiple teams have come much closer very quickly, that is usually impossible if not for bendy aero. AMR was the last one before the current surge.
Gains are also possible because the trailing teams have more development hours and have studied the winning cars for 2-3 years. Its hard to say what a flexible wing in worth as it is only a part of the picture. In any case, I'm sure Red Bull would jump at the opportunity to have more flexible wings if the FIA clarify that there is no problem with what they can see on the other cars.
It is possible, just not very likely. Then we have redbull inquiring.

Dunlay
Dunlay

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Jun 2024, 20:33
Sieper wrote:
It depends on how that airflow downstream would affect the RB20 when the flexing changes the behaviour. If the downstream elements are designing for the front wing that doesn't flex, then the flexy wing is counter productive. They probably need to do significant changes downstream to accommodate the change in airflow if they want to bring in flexy wing. It's an additional headache to manage the attachment/detachment of airflow and can also lead to balance issues. But I am sure Red Bull are quite experts in this. Question is, will they have time like the others to get this developed, as they might already have a development direction for their car. It would then change the development priorities. If they choose to do it, it might appear on RB21, if FIA deems it legal. The best possible thing in Red Bull's interest is to bring in evidence to force FIA to deem the flex as illegal.

organic

In my opinion it's just an attempt to kneecap rivals. We saw with AMR how much it hurt them

Cs98
Cs98

McLaren's wing looks the flexiest to me, by some margin, probably the main target of the clarification.

TimW
TimW

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Jun 2024, 22:17

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GQDCRPvWoAA ... ame=medium
Are you sure that is the '24 wing and not '23?

Vanja #66

TimW wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 11:15
Yes

#BlessYouLaddie

TimW
TimW

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 14:05
TimW wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 11:15
Yes
I was wondering because the flap adjuster was not visible. But it appears the flap adjuster has moved back to the outside. I checked the replays and it is not visible on the inside anymore.

So it makes sense that the flap flexes there.

Sergej
Sergej

Max is in MK today, I guess a simulator session, same thing helped ahead of Canada GP in arriving at the track with a good setup, plus this time there should be also some updates.

Vanja #66

TimW wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 18:16
I was wondering because the flap adjuster was not visible. But it appears the flap adjuster has moved back to the outside. I checked the replays and it is not visible on the inside anymore.

It's there and has a small red patch for visibility. I don't see any adjuster on the outside

#BlessYouLaddie

Wouter

Sergej wrote:
17 Jun 2024, 10:39
Max is in MK today, I guess a simulator session, same thing helped ahead of Canada GP in arriving at the track with a good setup, plus this time there should be also some updates.
Yes, he has to prepare the next three races.

Helmut Marko a week ago in Speedweek, tanslated by DeepL:

We reacted by coming to Canada with a softer basic set-up. But that wasn't enough.
After the Racing Bulls' car was very strong in this respect in Montreal, we are currently taking a closer look
at where Red Bull Racing may have made a mistake.
I think we are on the right track to make progress soon in terms of the front suspension.

With this softer basic set-up Max did a better job but Perez was again terrible in the car.
The Power of Dreams!

TimW
TimW

Vanja #66 wrote:
17 Jun 2024, 11:17
TimW wrote:
15 Jun 2024, 18:16

It's there and has a small red patch for visibility. I don't see any adjuster on the outside

https://cdn-9.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... acing.webp
I don't see it on Perez' car

So were they driving a different spec front wing? If you look at the image you posted of Verstappen, there is a line of sight from the FW camera to the adjuster. Yet in the flex comparison images, the adjuster is not visible.

Better image:

So they have been running different setups, and the flex comparison images must have been of Perez' front wing

organic

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ntfluegel/

Seems this flexiwings saga is continuing, and possibly heating up. Maybe a protest could occur?
Red Bull is taking aim at the front wings of McLaren and Ferrari. Targeted bending is supposed to make them a miracle weapon. Now Mercedes has also taken a giant step with its new bending wing. What is the secret?
Red Bull is pointing the finger more and more openly at the front wings of McLaren and Ferrari, which are said to bend too much under the corresponding load. They wanted to use Aston Martin to protest. But they didn't want to hear of it. It is suspected that the technical office in Silverstone is working on a similar solution.
Mercedes also suspected that the secret of the McLaren and Ferrari lay more in the front wing than in the underbody. But instead of taking action against the competition, they have now taken the initiative themselves. The new Mercedes front wing is also said to belong to the family of legal flexible wings and is playing a significant role in the Silver Arrows suddenly learning to walk. The car is suddenly easier to balance and the drivers have more confidence.
"If this continues to be tolerated, we will have to go the same way," says Red Bull

Sounds like maybe RB have been caught out by others developing in this direction over the winter and now on the back foot in this regard. Responding with their own flexible wing will take time to implement so the quicker solution and costlier for other teams is to make it illegal

McLaren made a big leap at Miami with their new front wing and then mercedes have with theirs. Probably not coincidence in light of all this scope on this area