Ferrari all set to showcase 599 Hybrid and GTO

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Ferrari all set to showcase hybrid Ferrari 599

Move over 599H, here comes the 599 GTO:

No details yet though.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

autogyro
autogyro

Re: Ferrari KERS road car

Bump

I see the GTO version does not lug around all tha extra weight and torque loss of the Ferrari hybrid rural regulation dodging system.
Last gasp perhaps?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I merged the Ferrari KERS thread and this one about the 599H. Potato Potatoh.

donskar
donskar

Seems Ferrari is always under the microscope, thus they've gotten a lot of comments (and a lot of negative ones) about their hybrid.

Look closely in the enthusiast press -- you'll see a lot of high end manufacturers showing off hybrids -- it's the au current thing to do. And the combo of ICE and electric motor can provide more MPG AND more TPM (thrills per mile) if done well.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

autogyro
autogyro

donskar wrote:Seems Ferrari is always under the microscope, thus they've gotten a lot of comments (and a lot of negative ones) about their hybrid.

Look closely in the enthusiast press -- you'll see a lot of high end manufacturers showing off hybrids -- it's the au current thing to do. And the combo of ICE and electric motor can provide more MPG AND more TPM (thrills per mile) if done well.
The trouble is Ferrari are not doing hybrid well at all and I have studied all their patents to be sure.
They are simply using the hybrid image to justify the use of cars using huge amounts of petrol by conning the rural CO2 regulations.
They are being forced to add hybrid to their entire range because of regulations.
Unfortunately all they can do at present is to add on electric components with countless extra gears and heavy torque multipliers and control systems, completely the wrong way to go.

donskar
donskar

autogyro wrote:
donskar wrote:Seems Ferrari is always under the microscope, thus they've gotten a lot of comments (and a lot of negative ones) about their hybrid.

The trouble is Ferrari are not doing hybrid well at all and I have studied all their patents to be sure.
They are simply using the hybrid image to justify the use of cars using huge amounts of petrol by conning the rural CO2 regulations.
They are being forced to add hybrid to their entire range because of regulations.
Unfortunately all they can do at present is to add on electric components with countless extra gears and heavy torque multipliers and control systems, completely the wrong way to go.
You're exactly right, but you're missing the irony: it's all phony. Ferrari only cares about appearing to be environmentally conscious, because their clientele only cares about appearances. It's all a PR/brand building exercise -- and no one does it better than Ferrari.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

jddh1

mx_tifosi wrote:Move over 599H, here comes the 599 GTO:

No details yet though.
What I know so far:
6 Liter V12 engine, 670 horses, 0-100kmh in 3.35s and top speed of 335 kmh.

only 599 will be built and will cost 300k Euros.

Not sure if Virgin will be contracted to build the fuel tank. 8)

autogyro
autogyro

BRRM BRRM I must have one.
It will be great driving up the culda sac I live in at 20mph just like most Ferrari owners drive their cars like, knowing I am burning ten times more in fuel than the dustkart emptying my dustbins. Thats gonna be great for annoying all the 'green' responsible poor people.

Of course there will be some buying them to break the law on public roads but most of them will end up in a pile of fiberglass so no worries there then.
Just think, little piles of 'green' fiberglass.
Didnt Montezemola realise the 'red' colour was to hide the blood?
Strange he did not with the Aztec name he has.

flynfrog

autogyro wrote:BRRM BRRM I must have one.
It will be great driving up the culda sac I live in at 20mph just like most Ferrari owners drive their cars like, knowing I am burning ten times more in fuel than the dustkart emptying my dustbins. Thats gonna be great for annoying all the 'green' responsible poor people.

Of course there will be some buying them to break the law on public roads but most of them will end up in a pile of fiberglass so no worries there then.
Did you forget your meds again?

Dont worry they guy that buys this will have a wife in a prius cause she wants to help the environment.

autogyro
autogyro

I disagree, I do not think many will be buying this, bad for the image.
Ferrari needs to up its game by a huge margin.

Pandamasque

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Cynicism should be used responsibly and in moderation.

lkocev

autogyro wrote:

A question autogyro, would you mind sharing where you found the patents? I would like to have browse of them myself.

I can see why alot of people are not too keen on this, and I agree that it almost seems pointless to carry what is probably a pretty big weight penalty for a relativley small power boost. But on the other hand we have to remember that these type of automobil are not exactly optimised to be efficient under normal road driving. They should be relativley efficient in light of their performance when being driven the way they are designed to be driven. Efficency should always be looked at after taking the performance into account.

In any case, an automobil that has a big bad V12, that weighs almost 1700kg, is not my idea of a sports car.

autogyro
autogyro

http://ep.espacenet.com/numberSearch?locale=en_V3

US2010011894
KR20090132758
US2009250278
US2009188732
EP2055994
EP2053278
US2009054190
WO2009019580
WO2008122862
GB2445838

These are just a tiny number of the patents I have been researching over the last six Months some are Ferrari, so feel free.
You will find Ferrari is simply bolting on loads of extra gears, torque multiplyers and control systems but then they were always way behind with things like disk brakes and mid engines in the past. They need to up their game by a huge margin. The regulations have already forced then to adapt every road car in their stable to hybrid and yet it was they who delayed KERS in F1, is the reason getting obvious yet?

autogyro
autogyro

mx_tifosi wrote:

Cynicism should be used responsibly and in moderation.
Cynicism? I can do that as well, however all I was doing was giving the true state of play. Dont get me wrong, I love Ferrari and the 'art' that goes with it, I have driven their cars on many occasions and it is an experience not to be missed. I am trying to help in actual fact. I believe absolutely that there is a limited future for road cars like Ferrari unless they rid themselves of the gas guzzling image and make huge changes to the technical base. It is a massive challenge to everyone in this industry.