Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

CHT wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 13:51
djos wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 13:47
I honestly don’t know why Mercedes would hire Seb. Last time they hired a former WDC, it didn’t really produce the results they hoped for.
Who else can guarantee result?
I heard Prost is available.
Honda!

organic

According to AMuS Perez is in danger of losing his seat again

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -mercedes/
Strict performance clauses apply to both Ricciardo and Perez. If Ricciardo can confirm the upward trend he has recently shown in Silverstone, Budapest and Spa and Perez does not improve significantly, then the eight-time GP winner could replace the Mexican at Red Bull in 2025. "We'll know more by the summer break," says Marko mysteriously.
Apparently Sainz may be waiting for a possible RB-Max divorce to make his contract decision for 2025
Sainz next to Verstappen is not possible

This brings a new dynamic to the transfer market. Perez would suddenly be available and an interesting option for racing teams like Williams or Audi, who are still looking for drivers. Carlos Sainz should not have any hopes of getting the second Red Bull cockpit. Due to old problems at Toro Rosso, there will no longer be a Red Bull team with Verstappen and Sainz.

Red Bull was one of Sainz's reasons for waiting so long to make his decision. The Spaniard wanted an exit clause from all the teams he negotiated with in case a seat became available at Red Bull. Sainz was speculating that the marriage between Red Bull and Verstappen would fall apart.

However, it is becoming increasingly unlikely that there will be a quick divorce. At the moment, the truce between Marko and Horner is holding, which can be seen from the common line in the Toro Rosso case.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

organic wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 16:33

Strict performance clauses apply to both Ricciardo and Perez. If Ricciardo can confirm the upward trend he has recently shown in Silverstone, Budapest and Spa and Perez does not improve significantly, then the eight-time GP winner could replace the Mexican at Red Bull in 2025. "We'll know more by the summer break," says Marko mysteriously.
Apparently Sainz may be waiting for a possible RB-Max divorce to make his contract decision for 2025

This brings a new dynamic to the transfer market. Perez would suddenly be available and an interesting option for racing teams like Williams or Audi, who are still looking for drivers. Carlos Sainz should not have any hopes of getting the second Red Bull cockpit. Due to old problems at Toro Rosso, there will no longer be a Red Bull team with Verstappen and Sainz.

Red Bull was one of Sainz's reasons for waiting so long to make his decision. The Spaniard wanted an exit clause from all the teams he negotiated with in case a seat became available at Red Bull. Sainz was speculating that the marriage between Red Bull and Verstappen would fall apart.

However, it is becoming increasingly unlikely that there will be a quick divorce. At the moment, the truce between Marko and Horner is holding, which can be seen from the common line in the Toro Rosso case.
I can think of one team boss who'd give him that clause.... Toto would take Max over Carlos every day of the week, so would definitely allow Carlos to leave if Max became available!!

Dunlay
Dunlay

PapayaFan481 wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 16:37
organic wrote:

I can think of one team boss who'd give him that clause.... Toto would take Max over Carlos every day of the week, so would definitely allow Carlos to leave if Max became available!!
Success is a weird weapon! When would Max would like to go to Mercedes? When he is convinced Mercedes is the better option than Red Bull. If Mercedes becomes better than Red Bull in 2025, there is only one way he is going to be signed at Mercedes. If George fluffs the chance of winning a championship with W16 being better than RB21. If George gets the job done, then it's a Vettel like situation where even when Lewis was avaialbe and willing to sign for Red Bull in 2011/12, RB didn't take him as Vettel was doing the job! If the car is a front runner and you have a guy doing the job for you, why would you spend $60+ million?

Like I said, the only way Max would consider Mercedes is if that car is better and the possibility of Mercedes signing him is when George doesn't do the job with the better car. :)

Big Tea

Dunlay wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 16:51
PapayaFan481 wrote:
organic wrote:

Success is a weird weapon! When would Max would like to go to Mercedes? When he is convinced Mercedes is the better option than Red Bull. If Mercedes becomes better than Red Bull in 2025, there is only one way he is going to be signed at Mercedes. If George fluffs the chance of winning a championship with W16 being better than RB21. If George gets the job done, then it's a Vettel like situation where even when Lewis was avaialbe and willing to sign for Red Bull in 2011/12, RB didn't take him as Vettel was doing the job! If the car is a front runner and you have a guy doing the job for you, why would you spend $60+ million?

Like I said, the only way Max would consider Mercedes is if that car is better and the possibility of Mercedes signing him is when George doesn't do the job with the better car. :)
Should we compare the Mercedes car to the Red bull car without the max?
On past history Checo, while not the very best of drivers in no slouch, so how much would transfer to Merc and from RB?
The Max factor
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Big Tea wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 03:29
Dunlay wrote:
05 Jul 2024, 16:51
PapayaFan481 wrote:

Should we compare the Mercedes car to the Red bull car without the max?
On past history Checo, while not the very best of drivers in no slouch, so how much would transfer to Merc and from RB?
The Max factor
Just because they have a lousy second driver at Red Bull doesn't automatically mean the car is bad and one driver is dragging it to it's ultimate performance and without that driver the car is mid field. Red Bull builds the car to the liking of their No.1 driver to the tee. Anyone like Lando, Charles and George can be as successful at Red Bull as Max has been as they can tune the car to that driver's liking. The problem with such an approach is it handicaps the second drivers as they don't like the car that is so custom configured for the No.1 and they struggle. That's my theory.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Dunlay wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 03:37
Just because they have a lousy second driver at Red Bull doesn't automatically mean the car is bad and one driver is dragging it to it's ultimate performance and without that driver the car is mid field. Red Bull builds the car to the liking of their No.1 driver to the tee. Anyone like Lando, Charles and George can be as successful at Red Bull as Max has been as they can tune the car to that driver's liking. The problem with such an approach is it handicaps the second drivers as they don't like the car that is so custom configured for the No.1 and they struggle. That's my theory.
So you are saying the real problem is that Red Bull custom configured the car for Max and therefore Perez is just being handicapped by a car not designed for him? If so, why are you so hard on Perez each weekend?

Dunlay wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 13:59
Let me rephrase. Perez is an extremely poor driver, that's not a Tier 1 or Tier 1B in F1 and doesn't really deserve to be sitting in a car that befits a better talent.
Dunlay wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 11:48
his team mates have been Ricciardo in his prime and they were a good match, Gasly and Albon were just nobodies and a lethargic Perez now.
Dunlay wrote:
06 May 2024, 05:42
What a great drive from the highly rated Perez! He successfully managed to keep Lewis behind him in that dominant Mercedes. =D>
Dunlay wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 19:31
This is what happenes when money comes above integrity and quality. A driver that has no right to be on the grid is driving the best car on the grid. There are atleast 10 junior drivers who can do far better job than Perez, right from the word go. But we won't see that happening.
Dunlay wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:42
What a supreme performance by Perez! Ultimately managed to beat both the Alpines! =D>
Dunlay wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 13:25
The field being so tightly packed, the best Perez can hope is a 10th place finish when all other drivers from McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes, Alonoso ans Tsunoda finish races without events. Luckiest situations can get him a 6th. In qualifying, I doubt if can ever get into Q1 this year again. If Red Bull can bring half a second upgrade over the field, then he has better prospects.
Dunlay wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 06:04
Again, the data is of no use in the way Red Bull makes decisions. IMO, Daniel and Perez are long, way long past their sell by date, but Horner wants to keep them for their loyalty, despite the full understanding (way more than any of us know) of the that fact. How long is that going to continue, only time will tell. There are 2 precious seats for young/talented drivers and undeserving drivers are occyping it, which is a shame for Red Bull and F1.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 07 Jul 2024, 06:51, edited 2 times in total.

Dunlay
Dunlay

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 04:17
Dunlay wrote:
So you are saying the real problem is that Red Bull custom configured the car for Max and therefore Perez is just being handicapped by a car not designed for him? If so, why are you so hard on Perez each weekend? Isn't he just being handicapped by Red Bull?

Dunlay wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 13:59
Let me rephrase. Perez is an extremely poor driver, that's not a Tier 1 or Tier 1B in F1 and doesn't really deserve to be sitting in a car that befits a better talent.
Dunlay wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 11:48
his team mates have been Ricciardo in his prime and they were a good match, Gasly and Albon were just nobodies and a lethargic Perez now.
Dunlay wrote:
06 May 2024, 05:42
What a great drive from the highly rated Perez! He successfully managed to keep Lewis behind him in that dominant Mercedes. =D>
Dunlay wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 19:31
This is what happenes when money comes above integrity and quality. A driver that has no right to be on the grid is driving the best car on the grid. There are atleast 10 junior drivers who can do far better job than Perez, right from the word go. But we won't see that happening.
Dunlay wrote:
23 Jun 2024, 18:42
What a supreme performance by Perez! Ultimately managed to beat both the Alpines! =D>
Dunlay wrote:
19 Jun 2024, 13:25
The field being so tightly packed, the best Perez can hope is a 10th place finish when all other drivers from McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes, Alonoso ans Tsunoda finish races without events. Luckiest situations can get him a 6th. In qualifying, I doubt if can ever get into Q1 this year again. If Red Bull can bring half a second upgrade over the field, then he has better prospects.
Dunlay wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 06:04
Again, the data is of no use in the way Red Bull makes decisions. IMO, Daniel and Perez are long, way long past their sell by date, but Horner wants to keep them for their loyalty, despite the full understanding (way more than any of us know) of the that fact. How long is that going to continue, only time will tell. There are 2 precious seats for young/talented drivers and undeserving drivers are occyping it, which is a shame for Red Bull and F1.
Do I need to reaffirm that Perez is useless? He has always been, regardless of his tenure at Red Bull. There is a reason why Lando denied joining Red Bull. Isn't it?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Dunlay wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 04:25

Do I need to reaffirm that Perez is useless? He has always been, regardless of his tenure at Red Bull. There is a reason why Lando denied joining Red Bull. Isn't it?

Dunlay wrote:

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

So.....do you think Hamilton at any point will be looking at whether he can get out of his move to Ferrari and stay at Mercedes instead? 🤔😂

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

PapayaFan481 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:10
So.....do you think Hamilton at any point will be looking at whether he can get out of his move to Ferrari and stay at Mercedes instead? 🤔😂
Lewis’s move was a business decision and I believe a bucket list move at this point. It’s a move that’s going to pad his coffers brilliantly in what will be his last few seasons earning a paycheck from racing.

Mercedes seems ready to move on as does Lewis. Race wins are a cherry on top at this point.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Hoffman900 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 19:31
PapayaFan481 wrote:
Lewis’s move was a business decision and I believe a bucket list move at this point. It’s a move that’s going to pad his coffers brilliantly in what will be his last few seasons earning a paycheck from racing.

Mercedes seems ready to move on as does Lewis. Race wins are a cherry on top at this point.
Yeah, I know. Still, you do have to wonder whether he's having any regrets now Mercedes finally seem to have the faster car... I'm sure the coffers would be just as null if he'd stayed.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PapayaFan481 wrote:
Doubt it. Racing drivers don't do looking back and regretting. They're all looking forward and planning ahead.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

PapayaFan481 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 21:42
Hoffman900 wrote:
PapayaFan481 wrote:

Yeah, I know. Still, you do have to wonder whether he's having any regrets now Mercedes finally seem to have the faster car... I'm sure the coffers would be just as null if he'd stayed.
Hamilton left Mercedes bc Toto wouldn't give him more than a 2 year deal going back to 2021.

CHT
CHT

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 23:19
PapayaFan481 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 21:42
Hoffman900 wrote:

Hamilton left Mercedes bc Toto wouldn't give him more than a 2 year deal going back to 2021.
Looking at the exodus of technical people at Ferrari and the pace of Merc in comparison to Ferrari now, I think Hamilton may be regretting signing for Ferrari.

Ultimately what LH want is to win that 8th WDC and he thought that going to Ferrari will give him a better chance.