2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

F1NAC wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 21:10
Head of the strat is the same as it was during Binotto reign. So I doubt there will be any significant improvement until they add/remove some people there
I know most of as here are always calling to make a clean sweep in strat and operations department, but the reality is that the decision-making process was/is mostly at fault, not the people themselves. Let's see how the rest of the year goes, hopefully no more blunders on strategy and it will be a good sign.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

scuderiabrandon wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 00:08
Xyz22 wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 00:05
scuderiabrandon wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 00:01

Both McLarens had another 2 tenths in the bag in qualy where neither drivers could put it together, I believe Piastri was up 0.2s in S1 alone.

If I recall correctly CL did his ideal lap on the last Q3 lap. If anything it shows how hard it is to be a consistently good qualifier.
Maybe they could have gone quicker in quali, but Norris had a massive advantage in the race on Ferrari (way bigger than 0.2s).
They also had a different tyre allocation. And even if you factor out the tyre advantage they have there is still a good chunk of raw performance in that gap, it is not all tyre.

I agree I think they aren't at the point where they are able to push for 57 laps but even with pretty heavy management the pace is on par with Mercedes and Aston two teams who have had better tyre performance all year.
I'm not counting Aston because something "shady" is going on there for sure.

Maybe i wasn't clear in my previous posts. What i meant is the performance on race day is worse than qualifying relatively to competitors.

Example:

- Leclerc gap from Piastri in quali: 0.1s
- Hamilton gap from Leclerc in quali: 0.35s

What was the avg gap in the race compared to Norris (in this case the fastest McL) and Lewis? The gap compared to McL increased significantly and the advantage over Mercedes decreased (thankfully not to the extent of previous races. For sure there was an improvement in that regard as already said).

Using F1 Pace

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 02:45
Xyz22 wrote:
dialtone wrote:
04 Oct 2023, 23:43

Not in the last couple of races actually. And given Singapore is hard to tell given the weird race, in Suzuka Ferrari qualified and raced where it belonged.

The change in setup has made it so they heat their tires less in quali which gives an edge in the race but worse quali.
The gap to McL was still much bigger in the race compared to qualifying, though.
Overall, the situation improved, but still far from being ideal.

The SF 70H is like the last car that performed in the opposite way, i believe.
Yeah, it all started as early as 2018 Chinese GP. Ferrari had enormous one-lap advantage over Mercedes (half a second I believe) that just disappeared come the race day. The car was slower than both Mercedes (even in the hands of Bottas) and RB. I remember being very bewildered by that. Who knew that that was a sign of things to come…

Also wanted to say hi to everyone who frequents this topic, I’ve been in read-only for many years, but finally decided to join.
Hi, welcome.
Indeed, everything started with the SF 71H but that car was still amazing in race trim, before the Singapore upgrade which made the car slower.
Things got really bad (awful) in 2019. One of the "worst" example was Hungary where the gap in quali was around 0.5s and in the race close to 1s.

Stu

dialtone wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 23:01
Xyz22 wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 21:21
dialtone wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 21:18
Of course is also clear that there is a lot of room for improvement. Having said that, i'm not expecting to compete with RB for the WDC. That would require a miracle pretty much never before seen in F1, because the benchmark is far away (even compared to McL). Hopefully it will happen though, would make me quite happy :D
Yeah, I'm not expecting a WDC fight lol :). Just want to stay optimist.
Fighting for the WCC could lead to a WDC title fight. Imagine going into the last round with 6-7 drivers having a mathematical chance of being WDC…
Optimistic?
Maybe, but it has happened before…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

organic

Bearman (Ferrari academy driver) secured junior sessions with Haas for Mexico & AD

Space-heat
Space-heat

organic wrote:
05 Oct 2023, 11:10
Bearman (Ferrari academy driver) secured junior sessions with Haas for Mexico & AD

Great for Bearman.

As a casual F2 watcher my immediate thought was: "Driver who doesn't manage tires, meets car with horrendous tire wear..."

I am sure he will figure it out with time, just funny combination.

f1316
f1316

Leclerc seems quite optimistic for 2024: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lecl ... /10529045/

dialtone
dialtone

Rear wing comparison from the side for Qatar:

Looks like RBR rear wing is bigger and steeper actually, plus a gurney flap that Ferrari doesn't have.

organic

It's very windy today and Saturday due to be similar; if I'm remembering correctly the car has been quite sensitive to it this season

organic

The ride height difference between FP1 and Quali has been crazy this weekend

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

This car must be an absolute PITA to drive on any high-speed circuit.
How does Sanchez keep on making these cars with no front-end. How does one transform the F1-75, the car with arguably the strongest front-end on the grid, into this.

No wonder Charles was absolutely appalled in pre-season.
Last edited by CouncilorIrissa on 06 Oct 2023, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

They've probably made improvements from the start of the season, but still quite wind sensitive.

Space-heat
Space-heat

CaribouBread wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:17
They've probably made improvements from the start of the season, but still quite wind sensitive.
Charles said on the radio it was his rear grip after his final push. It seems like the first lap on fresh softs was a problem with getting the front and back into the right window. I think he also did a flap adjustment to help before the final run, but it was still a problem.

organic

CaribouBread wrote:
06 Oct 2023, 20:17
While Saturday is due to be gusty, Sunday is forecast to be quite light on wind. Thanks to other drivers receiving penalties, Leclerc will start P5 which is quite a solid spot. Especially with an AMR ahead that is likely to cook the tyres (thanks to them opting to use lower wings)

i think the car is still tricky and one free practice session ruined things, whilst Merc seemed to have a consistent feel for the drivers from the beginning. If things go well at the start, and the McLarens don't make easy progress I could see Leclerc possibly challenge for the podium. Remains to be seen if the car can be as quick as the Mercs here. Maybe i was overoptimistic

Xyz22
Xyz22

Look at the understeer in the first corner. Jesus christ this is something else.

organic

Cold tyres hurt them a lot at the start of the lap hence the extreme understeer

The weak tyre warmup has been around since Barcelona