2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dren

Re: 2024 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 05 - 07

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 19:30
You harden your knuckles by training thousands of times, mastering a punch! When you deliver that punch it's game over!

He has been very clumsy in making decisions and getting moves done when a win is on the line.
I think a win weighs the risk when you aren't fighting for the championship. Different when you have championship ambitions. Also, he has to show Verstappen that he won't back down even if the move is stupid. I'm just glad we are in line for a good finish to the season. Lots of competitive cars. Lewis could actually pull something if the Mercedes improvements hold on. I think it'll be him vs Max come year end even with the points gap.
Honda!

venkyhere
venkyhere

venkyhere wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 09:15
The popular opinion right now is "McLaren went on used S instead of new M for Lando, and the win was gone with that". I don't think it's that simple. Remember Hamilton was on used S as well, and McLaren is car that is good with tyre longevity on any track at any temperature, on any compound, so there was no reason to suspect that despite Hamilton's tyre whisperer credentials, Lando wouldn't have caught him. Afterall, a marginal tyre choice is a lottery, despite all the algorithms and models at their disposal, especially on a low temp track.
I think the real reason Lando lost pace on used S was his out-lap. He hammered it straightaway and took life out of it. Whereas Hamilton was gentler. This, I think is the reason he couldn't catch and pass Hamilton for the lead, which would have given him a nice "buffer" between himself and a rampaging Max who didn't need to bother anything about tyre life and could thrash his new H right from put exit, as it boiled down to 12-13 continuous quali-style attack laps for him.
Found the data that backs my hunch (in bold above) :

Lando's outlap on his S, was 3-4s faster than Hamilton and Max. This is with the extra 2s he lost not stopping properly in the pitbox. That means Lando was hammering the tyre 6s faster than both of them. Even more incredulous. That's where he lost his tyres, I think. The decision by pitwall wasn't as bad (to go for used S) as it's made out to be. And also, it was not a case of "Lewis made the S last more than what it was capable".

I think it was a simple case of Lando chewing tyres on his outlap and regretting it later, snatching P3 from the jaws of P1.

TimW
TimW

venkyhere wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 09:44
venkyhere wrote:
The popular opinion right now is "McLaren went on used S instead of new M for Lando, and the win was gone with that". I don't think it's that simple. Remember Hamilton was on used S as well, and McLaren is car that is good with tyre longevity on any track at any temperature, on any compound, so there was no reason to suspect that despite Hamilton's tyre whisperer credentials, Lando wouldn't have caught him. Afterall, a marginal tyre choice is a lottery, despite all the algorithms and models at their disposal, especially on a low temp track.
I think the real reason Lando lost pace on used S was his out-lap. He hammered it straightaway and took life out of it. Whereas Hamilton was gentler. This, I think is the reason he couldn't catch and pass Hamilton for the lead, which would have given him a nice "buffer" between himself and a rampaging Max who didn't need to bother anything about tyre life and could thrash his new H right from put exit, as it boiled down to 12-13 continuous quali-style attack laps for him.

https://i.imgur.com/6B3npou.png

Lando's outlap on his S, was 3-4s faster than Hamilton and Max. This is with the extra 2s he lost not stopping properly in the pitbox. That means Lando was hammering the tyre 6s faster than both of them. Even more incredulous. That's where he lost his tyres, I think. The decision by pitwall wasn't as bad (to go for used S) as it's made out to be. And also, it was not a case of "Lewis made the S last more than what it was capable".

I think it was a simple case of Lando chewing tyres on his outlap and regretting it later, snatching P3 from the jaws of P1.
If he had not gotten 6 seconds on his outlap, than that would have been 6 seconds more to make up on the remaining laps. That is 0.5 second a lap. Which would never have worked as well.

venkyhere
venkyhere

TimW wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 11:14
venkyhere wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 09:44
venkyhere wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/6B3npou.png

If he had not gotten 6 seconds on his outlap, than that would have been 6 seconds more to make up on the remaining laps. That is 0.5 second a lap. Which would never have worked as well.
This is the last stint :

Looking at this, -0.5s/lap would mean an average laptime of 1.29.6.
Do you really think Lando couldn't have done that ? I think he could have. It would have been an amazing 3 way fight, and Hamilton would have had to waste time making 'defending' manouvers.If he overtook Hamilton, that would have meant having him as the buffer to Max who was behind.

Francis Bacon
Francis Bacon

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 01:09
Norris simply hasn't been in enough fights for the win but he will learn. If we actually think about it, he is immature racing wise and is not really ready to fight for a championship till he gets a few more wins under his belt and doing so in a more commanding fashion too..
He has tons of expierence, junior series, moving throught the field in F!. What the team doesn't have is experience battling for wins...

Getting strategy wrong as a mid-pack contender doesn't reveal itself very much; strategy mistaked mid feild aren't as consequential or abvious as when you're battling for the lead.

stephen

Last year we had Max Lando Lewis. This year it was Lewis Max Lando. We need Lando Lewis Max next year to complete the sequence.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

djones
djones

Hamilton could have gone on hards like Max.

So Norris going on mediums is just should of, would of, could have.

Luscion
Luscion

Sevach
Sevach

venkyhere wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 12:22

This is the last stint :

https://i.imgur.com/nea18rk.jpeg

Looking at this, -0.5s/lap would mean an average laptime of 1.29.6.
Do you really think Lando couldn't have done that ? I think he could have. It would have been an amazing 3 way fight, and Hamilton would have had to waste time making 'defending' manouvers.If he overtook Hamilton, that would have meant having him as the buffer to Max who was behind.
And Norris had one lap less than everyone else, in theory his first lap is in better conditions than the others.