2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

f1316 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 18:45
Very disappointed - Leclerc’s own analysis was correct. I don’t know why they allowed themselves to be put under so much pressure with such a big lead and don’t know why he didn’t defend harder. A real shame as the win was there. Sigh,

Anyway, we regroup and go again next time. Forza Ferrari.
And to add to this, as my immediate emotional reactions wear off and my pragmatic brain kicks in more: what disappointments me more than the lost win - which in itself is agonising - is that we managed to drop further back from the lead of the constructors on a weekend where we arguably had the best car. It is what it is but that’s the biggest sore spot for me in hindsight.

bluechris

Mansell89 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 19:06
As a McLaren fan- Enjoyed the battle with you today, Scuderia.

Two historic teams toe to toe, just what we love to see.

Ferraris performance this weekend was eye catching - they appear to be right back on the pace.

What a mega 7 races coming up!
We need Williams to up their game to have fights from the oldies :)

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1316 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 19:25
f1316 wrote:
Very disappointed - Leclerc’s own analysis was correct. I don’t know why they allowed themselves to be put under so much pressure with such a big lead and don’t know why he didn’t defend harder. A real shame as the win was there. Sigh,

And to add to this, as my immediate emotional reactions wear off and my pragmatic brain kicks in more: what disappointments me more than the lost win - which in itself is agonising - is that we managed to drop further back from the lead of the constructors on a weekend where we arguably had the best car. It is what it is but that’s the biggest sore spot for me in hindsight.
Sainz got greedy going for the move on Leclerc. I get it, he's a racer, but if Ferrari is actually trying to win the WCC, then things have to be different. In the past it was not clear that Ferrari was fighting for anything, but they have a chance here. Sainz is leaving at end of year. There needs to be discipline. That should have been a 2-3 for Ferrari.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 19:37
f1316 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 19:25
f1316 wrote:

Sainz got greedy going for the move on Leclerc. I get it, he's a racer, but if Ferrari is actually trying to win the WCC, then things have to be different. In the past it was not clear that Ferrari was fighting for anything, but they have a chance here. Sainz is leaving at end of year. There needs to be discipline. That should have been a 2-3 for Ferrari.
Ferrari needs to tank in the WCC or at least not win it. They need wind tunnel hours.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xyz22 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 19:40

Ferrari needs to tank in the WCC or at least not win it. They need wind tunnel hours.
Ferrari winning a WCC after almost 20 years is much bigger than any Wind Tunnel hours.

scuderiabrandon

Xyz22 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 18:29
ScuderiaLeo wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 18:23
Xyz22 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 18:07

Leclerc was actually very close but the McLaren had insane speed in the straights and now we know why.
Some laps leclerc was around 0.5s behind when opening the DRS which is usually enough and means you are quite quicker.
I think there are 2 aspects to this

1- Leclerc was not confident on the hards which meant he was driving more cautiously. He said in multiple interviews there were times he was afraid of crashing. Logically we can understand this as he wouldn't divebomb since he was already on the edge.
2- McLaren wing issue may have given Piastri an advantage over Leclerc every lap when Leclerc was chasing him, which might've been enough to make the overtake impossible unless Leclerc was going for a very aggressive overtake (and we know he wasn't)

We can't be sure how much the so-called mini DRS impacted Piastri's pace, but I think with the info on hand we can put this one on both sides. It probably did have an effect and it probably did make overtaking more difficult but to say Leclerc would've passed him otherwise is just a big unknown.
2-3 kp/h is all you need in this case.
2-3 kph whilst you are already travelling 300kph is massive

Emag
Emag

Interesting article : https://formu1a.uno/it/vasseur-risultat ... vantaggio/

The wording suggests Ferrari knew about it already.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 19:43
Xyz22 wrote:

Ferrari winning a WCC after almost 20 years is much bigger than any Wind Tunnel hours.
They won't win it. Baku was a big Ferrari track and they lost massive amount of points.

Long story short Ferrari (including drivers) was just too confident. They thought they would have won easily when they were leading the race by 6s. Hopefully they will learn from this.

scuderiabrandon

Xyz22 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 19:59
AR3-GP wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:

They won't win it. Baku was a big Ferrari track and they lost massive amount of points.

Long story short Ferrari (including drivers) was just too confident. They thought they would have won easily when they were leading the race by 6s. Hopefully they will learn from this.
You are correct regarding their complacency in the race, but you can't honestly say that it didn't look like we had it in our hands until we didn't. I think at that moment, it was not the wrong decision to not race Piastri very hard, in hindsight, it was of course. We all thought he'd drop off, like he did in the first stint, but it never came. We were outplayed and outsmarted, just like we did it 2 weeks ago. The margins are fine, it happens, and it hurts a lot.

However, I do agree I think the DNF and not winning put us completely out of contention for either championships.

Xyz22
Xyz22

scuderiabrandon wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:14
Xyz22 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

You are correct regarding their complacency in the race, but you can't honestly say that it didn't look like we had it in our hands until we didn't. I think at that moment, it was not the wrong decision to not race Piastri very hard, in hindsight, it was of course. We all thought he'd drop off, like he did in the first stint, but it never came. We were outplayed and outsmarted, just like we did it 2 weeks ago. The margins are fine, it happens, and it hurts a lot.

However, I do agree I think the DNF and not winning put us completely out of contention for either championships.
I don't know mate especially knowing how important free air is. I think another driver would have struggled to stay a lot of laps within DRS range and put pressure. Track position is just too important in pretty much every track, providing you don't make an absolutely insane strategy like Leclerc in Hungary.

Agree on fine margins. I'm really pissed off because we could have won this race quite "easily". It's rare to have a car good enough to win...

codetower

What a frustrating race! Could have had a win or at least a double podium. I think Checo is more to blame for the accident, but i thunk it was completely avoidable. Carlos got greedy trying to overtake Charles after he regained his position from Perez. If he would have held his position, and held back Perez, we could have been 2-3. What the hell was that move on Charles for?

The only positives are that this is 4 podiums in a row for Charles and the car looks better. Next race looks better suited to McLaren, but we could be competitive there.

scuderiabrandon

Xyz22 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:20
scuderiabrandon wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:14
Xyz22 wrote:

I don't know mate especially knowing how important free air is. I think another driver would have struggled to stay a lot of laps within DRS range and put pressure. Track position is just too important in pretty much every track, providing you don't make an absolutely insane strategy like Leclerc in Hungary.

Agree on fine margins. I'm really pissed off because we could have won this race quite "easily". It's rare to have a car good enough to win...
AH, but they were so quick on the straight. I was almost certain being 6 tenths back would've allowed a move, but it didn't. On top of that, he said he couldn't brake as late as Oscar into turn 1. I agree we win that race if we stay ahead, but that is only because I have the benefit of hindsight. He put 6 seconds on Piastri in 14 laps. I thought just get the tyres into a good window, wait for him to drop off and fight our way back. That drop just never came and we couldn't pass on the straight.

If you want to really look into what caused the big loss is the very poor in lap. Although I still believe McLaren were too good on the hard tyre. They had 0 degradation and could put straight out of the box. Even if you ignore Piastri. Look at Norris hard stint.

It is safe to say we were fooled by how poor they were on the medium. I think it is circumstantial, I don't really think there is anyone to blame. Then, I also believe Leclerc made us look much faster on the hard than we really were.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Norris was lapping on leading car pace when he went to pits on 36 lap old hards.

scuderiabrandon

FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:48
Norris was lapping on leading car pace when he went to pits on 36 lap old hards.
Precisely, they were incredible on the hard tyre. I don't think there was a scenario where we won easily, I think Piastri was going to be quick enough to fight even if Leclerc stayed ahead.

Xyz22
Xyz22

scuderiabrandon wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 21:02
FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:48
Precisely, they were incredible on the hard tyre. I don't think there was a scenario where we won easily, I think Piastri was going to be quick enough to fight even if Leclerc stayed ahead.
I think Leclerc had the pace to stay ahead "easily" after the warm-up phase.
Sainz lap times were very competitive on the hard tyre, even though he had the opportunity to manage more at the beginning.

Dirty air is just insane. In order to stay close, you need to push a lot, and then you can't overtake because they are too quick in the straights.