2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zeph
zeph

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Both sides of the argument are overstating their case:

Before the Honda partnership, McLaren was already on a downwards slope. They had the most powerful engine in 2013 but they couldn't win. In 2014 they started well in Australia, but inexplicably fell off a cliff afterwards. It's possible they used the wrong fuel and lubricants, but they also acknowledged they had other issues. So they acquired new design talent. The consensus around the paddock seems to be that their chassis is competitive.

Before the McLaren partnership, Honda unsuccessfully ran its own F1 operation. When they withdrew, Brawn took over their operation, and shoehorned a Mercedes engine into the chassis at the eleventh hour. Rubens Barichello expressed surprise at how powerful and easy-to-drive the Mercedes engine was. They won both the WDC and WCC in 2009. That team was bought by Mercedes and we know the rest.

Nobody has ever explained to me why Brawn decided to keep the chassis but ditch the engine (not trivial, considering the sort of design tolerances F1 deals with).

I'm not saying Honda is incompetent, or McLaren bears no share of the blame. But Honda is one of the largest manufacturers in the world, they have the talent and resources, yet they still can't get the job done. It seems to me the problem runs much deeper.

There is a lot of Renault bashing going on here, but the statistics show that their PU isn't all that bad. Their attempt to improve on the 2014 design failed spectacularly in 2015, but in 2014 and 2016 they powered RBR to 2nd place in the WCC. Based on RBR's performance in Monza today, I wouldn't be surprised if Renault actually leapfrogs Ferrari .

zeph
zeph

Mind you, I'not suggesting McLaren and Honda should split. There are solid reasons to continue: the money, the fact that Renault is already stretched thin and will eventually prioritize their own works team (if they don't abandon it again first).

There is no easy answer here, and I'm glad I don't have to make that decision.

ringo

Shrieker wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 01:00
If Alonso is influential on the Honda decision, he's totally not worth it; I say ditch him. What a primadonna crybaby. He's become a hysterical mess, look at his whinging about Palmer today in the race, even after he's retired lol. GET ON WITH THE RACE IDIOT. Poach Carlos Sainz and carry on with Honda. They bring a huge amount of money to the team, and a Renault engine is guaranteed to not win them a title even tho they may win a few races with it. I've read a good post about this from someone today. If Renault come up with the best engine (long shot), Red Bull will win the title, and not McLaren. They are sure to get second rate engines after the works Renault team and Red Bull. If Honda come up with the best engine (an even longer shot), McLaren will win. It's the wrong time to ditch Honda. Except if they're making an arrangement to reunite(unlikely) if/when things get fully sorted and Honda become super competitive.
If the chances of that happening are zero, then it makes no sense to wait for nothing. Mclaren should switch to renault and get more money and points next year, and only if Honda is good should they take them back.
I don't see Honda making much improvement at all, especially relative to the other engines. A customer renault or mercedes is still ten times better than a works honda sad excuse of a race engine.
For Sure!!

GhostF1
GhostF1

ZakB wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 00:01
GhostF1 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 23:52
ZakB wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 23:43

Yeah, the aero department of McLaren is run by retards and Red Bull are so superior. McLaren says it can battle with Red Bull, which is based on actual data and calculations, instead of your suggestions based on thin air. Some people forget that there is also a possibility that Renault can improve in 2018, which is the reason why they haven't introduced many updates this year.

Stick with Honda...how many points?
Where did I say McLaren are retards? Let's remember that this year is the first good year in a while now that McLaren has had, chassis wise. I'm not calling them morons at all. What I'm saying is, it's ludicrous to assume they'll suddenly be Red Bull level with a different engine. That is not likely.

Also, just to keep this form at least remotely based on facts... Alonso's retirement was a gearbox fault, which he'd been dealing with the whole race with slow, jarring upshifts, they retired early for the free change they'll get for next race.
Just look at all the comments from analysts, they feel the McLaren chassis is one of the best out there. How good it is with a Renault engine? Hard to say, but you already say it's moronic to think that they can battle with Red Bull. McLaren must feel pretty confident if they are willing to switch to Mercedes, Ferrari or Renault. McLaren still have amazing facilities and after 2014 a lot has changed and their aero department seems back on track. Just look at the development rate of McLaren, there is almost no team that bring as many new parts as they do.
"I'm happy, I'm with the best team of my career," said Alonso.

"The level of knowledge and detail that I found here is probably the best.

"The analysis, the work in the factory, the philosophy of designing the car is completely different to what I was used to.

"The driver input and the driver implications are much greater here so we're just missing a competitive car.

"For organisation and things like that, the team is just amazing."
You guys have no faith in McLaren, but will defend Honda at any cost.
Noo.... There you go again with rubbish assumptions. Stop assuming bulls*** that I'm not even saying...

I have utmost faith in McLaren's ability to make a great car and I think this year, it's undeniably a great chassis. I am not willing to say they can surpass Red Bull straight away though just with a Renault PU. You can go ahead and do that if you want. But saying they'll be a top 3 team undoubtedly is no better than me suggesting Honda's engine will come good and next years, considering it's finally a continued development of the same platform unlike years prior, will likely be around Renault's level.

I'm quick to defend Honda, I'll admit, because it isn't unwarranted. Credit is due even though there are issues. I can't deal with whiney yobs that actually have no idea what's going on and completely disregard the pattern and previous scenario's or just general information that have gotten them here. I'm not that kind of fan who only is interested in results and choose to post snide remarks every fortnight.

They have made strides in a matter of weeks, sure they had a poor showing at Spa where we all knew it was going to be tough without that expected upgrade, another engine development for Monza and their pace was undeniably improved. We know a large portion of one of these updates was focused on power delivery and low engine speed pick up which should shine at a track like Singapore, we'll probably see another engine update there as well.

As far as I can tell, 99% of this forum said they should just bring updates as soon as they are ready, who cares about waiting. This is now happening, AND YET... there are now blow-ups on here but about the fact they are bringing updates too often!!! Haha it's incredible. Incessant moaning from people who need a target to aim at all times.

They are in poor form, obviously, and I understand your frustration and the entire team and fanbase's but they are now in a situation where it is only going upwards from here, Renault and losing the benefits of a works outfit... I cannot bring myself to say is a worthy enough jump. If it was a Merc ready to be chucked in, it would probably be a different story.

Squid
Squid

MotoManiac wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 00:53
Alonso's got 2 year at most? He's 38, i would've understood if it was Versteppen, who's hot property in the paddock right now.

Every statement Mclaren makes is about "Keeping Alonso" "Keeping Fernando happy" "Alonso will stay if we switch to Renault PU", It's all about Alonso. Mercedes, Ferrari and Redbull have indicated multiple times that they want nothing to do with Alonso, where is he gonna go?? Alonso wants a title before he retires (in 2 years most likely), will Renault PU bring a title in 2 years?

How many times have Alonso finished 2nd or 3rd in the championship? He wants to win, he doesn't want to be the "Best of the rest". Redbull has been using Renault PUs since 2014 with Newey heavily involved in the designing. You think McLaren is gonna beat them with Renault PUs? They have two of the best driver sin F1, while McLaren has a angry star and Vandoorne (who hardly makes any overtake in the race).

We are gonna be hearing the same rubbish Dennis used to say about Mercedes, "Renault is not giving proper help with mappings and upgrades", Abiteboul will tell them to shut up or leave just like he did to Redbull and we will be back to square one with Alonso throwing the toys out of the pram again.

I know people defend Alonso for being a great driver which he is, but if you don't see that a lot of this tension is being stirred by him then you are not looking clearly.
In terms of position within the team, Alonso is now exactly where he wanted to be in 2007. Clear number one. Huge amounts of power over the team. Like him or not, this is Alonso's MO. He wants a team built around him. He tried that at McLaren and 2007 happened. He tried that at Ferrari and Mattiacci showed him the door. He only got away with it at Renault because of Flavio Briatore, but now Abiteboul (very diplomatically) made it clear that having a frustrated Alonso in their team is not worth it.

The problem is now, as you say, that Alonso has very few years left at the top. Whatever he can bring to McLaren will not be there for long, and it's gonna be 2013 all over again for McLaren.

RedNEO

Look at all the salty Honda apologist's coming in here to bash.. sore losers. :wink:

RedNEO

MotoManiac wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 00:53
Alonso's got 2 year at most? He's 38, i would've understood if it was Versteppen, who's hot property in the paddock right now.

Every statement Mclaren makes is about "Keeping Alonso" "Keeping Fernando happy" "Alonso will stay if we switch to Renault PU", It's all about Alonso. Mercedes, Ferrari and Redbull have indicated multiple times that they want nothing to do with Alonso, where is he gonna go?? Alonso wants a title before he retires (in 2 years most likely), will Renault PU bring a title in 2 years?

How many times have Alonso finished 2nd or 3rd in the championship? He wants to win, he doesn't want to be the "Best of the rest". Redbull has been using Renault PUs since 2014 with Newey heavily involved in the designing. You think McLaren is gonna beat them with Renault PUs? They have two of the best driver sin F1, while McLaren has a angry star and Vandoorne (who hardly makes any overtake in the race).

We are gonna be hearing the same rubbish Dennis used to say about Mercedes, "Renault is not giving proper help with mappings and upgrades", Abiteboul will tell them to shut up or leave just like he did to Redbull and we will be back to square one with Alonso throwing the toys out of the pram again.

I know people defend Alonso for being a great driver which he is, but if you don't see that a lot of this tension is being stirred by him then you are not looking clearly.
Remember when you said you look forward to being amused here next year because you thought we'd still be with Honda?

How do you feel now?:wink:

Andres125sx

So McLaren renounced to using best PU because they were a customer team, and now they´ll use third best PU as third customer team.... great deal McLaren!!! #-o :cry:

Thunder

I like how even the "Evil McLaren demanded "unheard of" mysterious Size Zero" came up again. Great to start the Day with a good laugh.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Phil

Am i missing something? Did McLaren split? I cant find any headlines from reputable sources?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GoranF1
GoranF1

Phil wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 08:54
Am i missing something? Did McLaren split? I cant find any headlines from reputable sources?
Not official but on Sky live when they asked Zak if they are getting closer whit Renault deal he said nothing decided yet and waved his head yes, the whole time.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Thunder

Phil wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 08:54
No. Rumours go from "Announcement today" to "Ammouncement this Week" to "Nothing will happen". Business as usual basically.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

FW17

how do you wave a head?

GhostF1
GhostF1

Thunders wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 08:49
I like how even the "Evil McLaren demanded "unheard of" mysterious Size Zero" came up again. Great to start the Day with a good laugh.
I'm one of these "Honda Defenders", but even I will not talk of this "demanded size zero" project. Even if it was true, Honda agreed to it so...

Phil

Thanks. Damn.

I really don't see it happening. The contractual mess is simply a nightmare. Look at this way:

Honda entered F1 with the sole purpose and intention to achieve success. Coming in to F1 for simply 3 years wouldn't cut it - not with the amount of investment(s) necessary to build up the know-how, acquire the talent and the resources to build such a power-unit, much less a competitive one. So it always needed to be a long term agreement for it to make sense for Honda to enter F1 in the first place.

I am also quite certain that Honda would never have entered F1 if not for the partnership with a capable team such as McLaren. Imagine if they had entered with anything less - they might have gotten the engine right (lets assume they would have), but the success wouldn't be there due to the limited ability of the team. McLaren was struggling but has the facilities and the know-how to build a successful F1 team. A championship winning one.

The stakes are very high. To protect either company of such a damaging termination of partnership, I believe the fine that would need to be payed by either would have to be very high. I am also rather doubtful that Honda would be willing to just switch to a team such as Torro-Rosso and let McLaren off the hook. At this point, I'm not sure McLaren can afford to leave Honda under these circumstances and I'm even more doubtful Renault would be a better option for them (long term).

What's in it for Honda to switch to Torro-Rosso? I do know RedBull is playing with the idea of selling the team, but does Honda want to buy an entire F1 team?

It's just a huge mess...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter