2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KingHamilton01

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

McG wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:50
KingHamilton01 wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:19
GoranF1 wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 14:18
Both Mclaren and some of their fans have accepted this aproach in which they are happy just to made progress, just to be a solid midfield team.
I really dont understand this, and i know things dont just happen overnight, but i WILL NOT be happy until Mclaren is where it belongs. TOP.
Mclaren is not Williams.
Unfortunately to many bad decisions have been made through a number of season's now and this goes back to when Whitmarsh was here and then it has continued. Now I feel McLaren are paying for mistakes and having to restructure a team and rebuild there enthusiasm and motivation at the same time cannot be underestimated. Still a lot to be seen at McLaren with Key coming into the team and how he will settle in and how much of immediate impact he can have on car development.

You have to look at the position they are coming from and for me I believe the team has to be looking at 2021 when next major rule and design changes come in, but then the other part to that is do McLaren need to look at there engine situation? Pains me to see Honda now coming towards the front of the grid and we still need a works engine surely? I remember seeing John watson quote it could be 10 years until we see a competitive McLaren again I was adamant that he was wrong but over time realised that he was right and come 2021 that will be roughly that amount of time passed.

Nothing to suggest McLaren will return to the front in 2021 but for now we have to accept whatever progress McLaren make, now I just want them to knuckle down and give these new guys Seidl and Key etc make there mark on the team.
It wasn't just John Watson saying 10 years, Zak Brown himself said it.

And that's a bold prediction saying Honda are getting closer to the front. Or to be more accurate it's unfounded speculation. Last year with STR was terrible and we haven't even seen a race this year yet.

Finally, there's nothing to suggest anything about 2021 so the negativity you're laying on McLaren doesn't make sense.
First of all can you quote where Zak brown said about it being a 10 year turnaround? And I said that Honda are coming towards the front of the grid what part of that is speculating that they are closer to the front? that is clearly a fact there progress is massive from testing alone, feel free to tell me I am wrong even when the season start's. also for your information I am not laying negativity on McLaren, clearly stating facts that they need time and a major rule change to help them comeback towards the front of the grid.

my post is clear in how I want to see the new guys given time and for McLaren to turn it around, if you find that being negative then that's your problem.
Last edited by KingHamilton01 on 24 Feb 2019, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
McLaren Mercedes

M840TR
M840TR

KingHamilton01 wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 17:28
McG wrote:
KingHamilton01 wrote:

Unfortunately to many bad decisions have been made through a number of season's now and this goes back to when Whitmarsh was here and then it has continued. Now I feel McLaren are paying for mistakes and having to restructure a team and rebuild there enthusiasm and motivation at the same time cannot be underestimated. Still a lot to be seen at McLaren with Key coming into the team and how he will settle in and how much of immediate impact he can have on car development.

You have to look at the position they are coming from and for me I believe the team has to be looking at 2021 when next major rule and design changes come in, but then the other part to that is do McLaren need to look at there engine situation? Pains me to see Honda now coming towards the front of the grid and we still need a works engine surely? I remember seeing John watson quote it could be 10 years until we see a competitive McLaren again I was adamant that he was wrong but over time realised that he was right and come 2021 that will be roughly that amount of time passed.

Nothing to suggest McLaren will return to the front in 2021 but for now we have to accept whatever progress McLaren make, now I just want them to knuckle down and give these new guys Seidl and Key etc make there mark on the team.

And that's a bold prediction saying Honda are getting closer to the front. Or to be more accurate it's unfounded speculation. Last year with STR was terrible and we haven't even seen a race this year yet.

Finally, there's nothing to suggest anything about 2021 so the negativity you're laying on McLaren doesn't make sense.
First of all can you quote where Zak brown said about it being a 10 year turnaround? And I said that Honda are coming towards the front of the grid what part of that is speculating that they are closer to the front? that is clearly a fact from testing alone, feel free to tell me I am wrong even when the season start's. also for your information I am not laying negativity on McLaren, clearly stating facts that they need time and a major rule change to help them comeback towards the front of the grid.

my post is clear in how I want to see the new guys given time and for McLaren to turn it around, if you find that being negative then that's your problem.
I think we are years away. I don't know if that's two or 10, or somewhere inbetween. Probably more like somewhere inbetween, but I don't want to get into predictions.
http://www.espn.in/f1/story/_/id/240052 ... years-away

KingHamilton01

M840TR wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 17:32
KingHamilton01 wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 17:28
McG wrote:

First of all can you quote where Zak brown said about it being a 10 year turnaround? And I said that Honda are coming towards the front of the grid what part of that is speculating that they are closer to the front? that is clearly a fact from testing alone, feel free to tell me I am wrong even when the season start's. also for your information I am not laying negativity on McLaren, clearly stating facts that they need time and a major rule change to help them comeback towards the front of the grid.

I think we are years away. I don't know if that's two or 10, or somewhere inbetween. Probably more like somewhere inbetween, but I don't want to get into predictions.
http://www.espn.in/f1/story/_/id/240052 ... years-away
Zak brown said recently about a 5 year plan and John watson said about McLaren nearly 10 years ago! I wish people wouldn't compare things that aren't directly related to each other.
McLaren Mercedes

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

GoranF1 wrote:
Both Mclaren and some of their fans have accepted this aproach in which they are happy just to made progress, just to be a solid midfield team.
I really dont understand this, and i know things dont just happen overnight, but i WILL NOT be happy until Mclaren is where it belongs. TOP.
Mclaren is not Williams.
Whomever produces the best overall package belongs at the top and McLaren haven't done that in many
years now. McLaren are hopefully on the way to getting back to the top end of the grid, but it's going to take
time and I honestly can't see it happening before 2021, unless McLaren come up with an innovative design and
Renault gets it's PU upto speed with the other manufacturers. Patience is required.

GoranF1
GoranF1

proteus wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 17:14
KingHamilton01 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
Mclaren is not Williams.

Until they dont get their own B-team, they wont be infront ever again. The current rules are literally killing the privateers, while manufacturers have bought out majority of the field which gives them massive technical/testing advantage and also voting rights - which enables them to shape the rules into their favour.
B team is not what they need, what they need is a works deal whit a serious company like Porsche, Audi, BMW or Toyota and significat financial injection.
In my personal opinion a Toyota deal would be perfect considering usage of their wind tunel and Alonso(who needs to come back)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

_cerber1

For the second week of tests, Renault will bring the final engine specification.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ittelfeld/

Mansell89
Mansell89

Anyone expand on the MGUK “cutting out too early on the straights”?

Not what you want to hear on a year where you need Renault to step up a level or two.

_cerber1

Yes, and these are not even direct Shanghai and Baku. #-o

mclaren111

godlameroso wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:49
charliesmithhd wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 15:00
godlameroso wrote:
24 Feb 2019, 12:33
If that figure came from someone using pirelli's figure for theoretical best lap, toss it in the trash. That figure says nothing.

The middle of the car has been free to develop since 2017, I've made a big deal about it ever since, and still think that's the area to focus on. The bargeboards contribute to 1/4th of the total downforce of these cars.

McLaren has the right idea, they maximized the surface area, and the boomerang wing has a lot of potential. It just needs development, all teams that have developed the bargeboards have found chunks of time.

Force India, Red Bull, Ferrari, Alpha Romeo, and Mercedes all kept finding chunks of time with each bargeboard upgrade.
Bargdeboards look developed, but not as many turning vanes just behind the bardge board compared to others including Renault
Red Bull doesn't have any turning vanes behind the bargeboard. They have a T-tray extension that both creates a vortex, and channels air under the floor. McLaren had a very good extension in 2017, but didn't work with their 2018 aero concept.

Look at the inboard footplate of the bargeboard. All those slots are for sending air under the car. A greater mass flow increases the effect of the floor on downforce.

McLaren has a lot of potential in this chassis, and by developing the bargeboards they'll unlock all that performance.

Agreed... Coupled with a good suspension...

Juzh

Mansell89 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 09:45
Running out electrical energy too early. This could either mean simply wrong deployment strategies for this specific track, or outright hardware deficiencies which are not easy to solve. Since this is renault we're talking about, I'd say the latter is more likely.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Juzh wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 10:13
Mansell89 wrote:
Running out electrical energy too early. This could either mean simply wrong deployment strategies for this specific track, or outright hardware deficiencies which are not easy to solve. Since this is renault we're talking about, I'd say the latter is more likely.
As far as I can remember, they've not had deployment issues in recent times, it would be disturbing if it's now a problem. But he did mention that they're already coming up with a fix.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

subcritical71

Ground Effect wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 11:14
Juzh wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 10:13
Mansell89 wrote:
As far as I can remember, they've not had deployment issues in recent times, it would be disturbing if it's now a problem. But he did mention that they're already coming up with a fix.
It’s testing, and they could be running into insufficient cooling to the MGU-K, ES or MGU-H which is causing deployment to be clipped... just guessing though.

charliesmithhd

Change to Ferrari-style F1 front wing would need months - Mercedes
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14173 ... ake-months

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 01:44
proteus wrote:
KingHamilton01 wrote:

Until they dont get their own B-team, they wont be infront ever again. The current rules are literally killing the privateers, while manufacturers have bought out majority of the field which gives them massive technical/testing advantage and also voting rights - which enables them to shape the rules into their favour.
B team is not what they need, what they need is a works deal whit a serious company like Porsche, Audi, BMW or Toyota and significat financial injection.
In my personal opinion a Toyota deal would be perfect considering usage of their wind tunel and Alonso(who needs to come back)
Sounds like a repeat of Honda. Only you want to perpetuate the most painful years...

ripleysend
ripleysend

diffuser wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 13:41
GoranF1 wrote:
25 Feb 2019, 01:44
proteus wrote:

Sounds like a repeat of Honda. Only you want to perpetuate the most painful years...
I wonder if / how much the McLaren Honda relationship was affected by the fact the only testing mileage Honda got was from one team, McLaren. They've got a lot more mileage this year. Of course, reliability was a big factor too. Also, design requirements from a single team rather than two or three - easier or more challenging to manage?