2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
RZS10

Re: 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

Once again the marshalls are unable to remove the car in a timely manner, what a bloody joke ... 17 (?) minutes, Gasly's car took 15 minutes

f1316
f1316

Obviously all the red flags and messing about are making a difference, but good indications on the Ferrari updates. They do seem to be a lot closer to the pace (0.8 secs slower than Bottas on harder tyres isn't, I suspect, representative, but still)

Juzh

dans79 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:17
Juzh wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:13
Stroll knew very well verstappen was there since he selfishly overtook him into final corner when both were on a warmup lap, he also overtook albon like he was the only one on track.
Blame on stroll 100%. Glad he got what he deserved.
Stroll was on a hot lap and Max let him by. Stroll was going to go for a second consecutive one. Are you even watching the broadcast?
What actually happened is this: Stroll was on a fast warmup lap, not an actual hot-lap (laptime 1:21.7 - too slow for a proper flying lap). This fooled verstappen's enginner who told verstappen stroll is on a flying lap. Verstappen then probably fully expected stroll to lift after the start/finish line, but in reality stroll was just starting his true flying lap.
Stroll still didn't think of lifting at all despite having a car halfway alongside him. So still majority of blame is on him. He knew full well verstappen was about to start his lap.

TAG

Juzh wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:24
dans79 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Stroll knew very well verstappen was there since he selfishly overtook him into final corner when both were on a warmup lap, he also overtook albon like he was the only one on track.
Stroll was on a hot lap and Max let him by. Stroll was going to go for a second consecutive one. Are you even watching the broadcast?
What actually happened is this: Stroll was on a fast warmup lap, not an actual hot-lap (laptime 1:20.9 - too slow for a proper flying lap). This fooled verstappen's enginner who told verstappen stroll is on a flying lap. Verstappen then probably fully expected stroll to lift after the start/finish line, but in reality stroll was just starting his true flying lap.
Stroll still didn't think of lifting at all despite having a car halfway alongside him. So still majority of blame is on him. He knew full well verstappen was about to start his lap.
Let's see if there's consistency, I recall just a couple of races ago an engineer giving Hamilton incorrect instruction on where he could or couldn't do a practice start. By the rules this should be a 3 place grid penalty for Verstappen. Should not be an issue, but... she show.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

El Scorchio

I'd have to lean toward Verstappen 70-30 on that one. He's got the benefit of being able to see what Stroll is doing much more clearly, and has to become aware at some point that Stoll isn't
slowing down, isn't going to and doesn't just have to just jump out of his way. I really hope it wasn't just one of those cases we see of Max getting a bee in his bonnet about something really inconsequential and just trying to prove a point.

Stroll clearly did know he was there, though so he absolutely shoulders some blame.

Just feels like a stupid, petty little dick waving contest between the pair of them though. They should both know better.

tangodjango
tangodjango

Yeah agree Verstappen should get a grid penalty at the very least.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

dans79

Juzh wrote:
I can't disagree with you more.

Stroll was on the optimal racing line for a hot lap, max wasn't. Even if Stroll lifted, Max's lap would have been compromised. Stroll is more to blame for the collision, but Max's engineer and Max's are the reason Max was in that position. As soon as they crossed the start finish line, and Stroll didn't lift, max should have known he wasn't going to get by. Specially when stroll started to pull ahead 3/4ths of the way down the strait.........
201 105 104 9 9 7

Sieper

Juzh wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Juzh wrote:
What actually happened is this: Stroll was on a fast warmup lap, not an actual hot-lap (laptime 1:21.7 - too slow for a proper flying lap). This fooled verstappen's enginner who told verstappen stroll is on a flying lap. Verstappen then probably fully expected stroll to lift after the start/finish line, but in reality stroll was just starting his true flying lap.
This is also what I thought, Stroll just passed Max in turn 14 so lift after start finish and Max can start his hotlap.

Mattyw
Mattyw

Fair play to Johnny Herbert standing his ground there with Horner. Horner knew he didn't have much by way of defense - unfortunately Max 'assuming' doesn't wash.

Sieper

TAG wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:28
Juzh wrote:
dans79 wrote:

What actually happened is this: Stroll was on a fast warmup lap, not an actual hot-lap (laptime 1:20.9 - too slow for a proper flying lap). This fooled verstappen's enginner who told verstappen stroll is on a flying lap. Verstappen then probably fully expected stroll to lift after the start/finish line, but in reality stroll was just starting his true flying lap.
Let's see if there's consistency, I recall just a couple of races ago an engineer giving Hamilton incorrect instruction on where he could or couldn't do a practice start. By the rules this should be a 3 place grid penalty for Verstappen. Should not be an issue, but... she show.
There is a difference in driving into a closed pit and expecting someone else to slow down after start finish based on what the engineers says. You can never drive into a closed pits while you can expect someone to slow down after a hot lap.

Edax
Edax

Sieper wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:40
Juzh wrote:
dans79 wrote:

This is also what I thought, Stroll just passed Max in turn 14 so lift after start finish and Max can start his hotlap.
In the end Max misread Stroll’s intentions and thought he would peel off before the first corner. Stroll failed to look in his mirrors and accidentally ran him of the road.

I guess that evens out. I’d vote no penalty and let the drivers sort it out. It’s racing, not kindergarten.

LM10
LM10

Edax wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:53
Sieper wrote:
Juzh wrote:

In the end Max misread Stroll’s intentions and thought he would peel off before the first corner. Stroll failed to look in his mirrors and accidentally ran him of the road.

I guess that evens out. I’d vote no penalty and let the drivers sort it out. It’s racing, not kindergarten.
Actually it was not racing.

SiLo

Well Otmar confirmed that Stroll was on a fast lap and was going for a second fast lap again. Personally I don't see what Max has to gain here at all. I don't think he let him by, he outbraked himself at the back of the circuit and Stroll overtook him. Max should have just let him go a few seconds and then gone for his fast lap.
Felipe Baby!

Edax
Edax

LM10 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:57
Edax wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:53
Sieper wrote:

Actually it was not racing.
It is not the parking lot at the IKEA either :D

godlameroso

9/10 chance nothing happens, racing incident, new track, cars were going too fast to react to the situation. By the time Verstappen realized he wasn't getting by he was too close to the corner to do anything, they were both already on the braking zone, which is downhill. They both knew they were there, they both were slow to react, so given the circumstances, Max tried his best to avoid a collision but it was too late. Racing incident, move on.

The onboard audio is out of sync so you can't hear when they're supposed to brake, but you can see it on the telemetry.
Saishū kōnā