2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TAG

Re: 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, October 23 - 25

Sieper wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:50
TAG wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:28
Let's see if there's consistency, I recall just a couple of races ago an engineer giving Hamilton incorrect instruction on where he could or couldn't do a practice start. By the rules this should be a 3 place grid penalty for Verstappen. Should not be an issue, but... she show.
There is a difference in driving into a closed pit and expecting someone else to slow down after start finish based on what the engineers says. You can never drive into a closed pits while you can expect someone to slow down after a hot lap.
Clarifying for you in case you missed the meat of my post.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Sieper

TAG wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 18:14
Sieper wrote:
TAG wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:28
Let's see if there's consistency, I recall just a couple of races ago an engineer giving Hamilton incorrect instruction on where he could or couldn't do a practice start. By the rules this should be a 3 place grid penalty for Verstappen. Should not be an issue, but... she show.
There is a difference in driving into a closed pit and expecting someone else to slow down after start finish based on what the engineers says. You can never drive into a closed pits while you can expect someone to slow down after a hot lap.
But that was not on engineers advice. It was Hamilton who said I am going to do the start in a different location, OK? Engineer just replied to that, Ok (thinking it would be a meter or two) while in fact Hamilton was going to do that next to the race track. It was his own initiative that brought him in to trouble.

In fact, if you want to bring that argument for wanting 100% consistency, where are the 2 times 2 penalty points that always accompany a 2x5 second penalty. They have been reduced already down to 2x1 which is impossible by rule and later were fully retracted. So in fact that example is a prime example of inconsistency, based on the underlying explanation of the reasoning of the driver, not on the factual infringement. All other 5 second penalties have been accompanied by 2 license points.

SiLo

Sieper wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 18:23
TAG wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 18:14
Sieper wrote:

But that was not on engineers advice. It was Hamilton who said I am going to do the start in a different location, OK? Engineer just replied to that, Ok (thinking it would be a meter or two) while in fact Hamilton was going to do that next to the race track. It was his own initiative that brought him in to trouble.

In fact, if you want to bring that argument for wanting 100% consistency, where are the 2 times 2 penalty points that always accompany a 2x5 second penalty. They have been reduced already down to 2x1 which is impossible by rule and later were fully retracted. So in fact that example is a prime example of inconsistency, based on the underlying explanation of the reasoning of the driver, not on the factual infringement. All other 5 second penalties have been accompanied by 2 license points.
Tag was just talking about the engineer instruction to Max that Stroll was on a flying lap, and the next logical assumption that he would slow down after crossing the line.

He was calling issue to assuming what the driver will do, unlike other situations were there is no assumption, it's purely black and white.
Felipe Baby!

jjn9128

Wow, in a race you would call that Verstappen's fault, depending on circumstance, in practice where nothing is riding on the track position 100% his fault. Halfheartedly sticking a nose in when there's nothing to gain is dumb, I'd expect at least 3-place grid drop for Max. If Stroll gets a penalty F1 is broken beyond repair.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

NathanOlder

If no one gets a penalty, it means you can punt someone off at turn 1. Something needs to be done to stop this idiotic behaviour.

Max was angry his lap was about to be ruined, so he tried to ruin Strolls too by passing. Max was on completely the wrong line yet still tried to carry the same corner speed. He did a 1990 Senna.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

Is this a sign that we should switch to the hairpin turn 1 layout? On the one hand Stroll just carried on as if Verstappen wasn't even there, on the other Verstappen was pushing for a fast lap, neither driver gave way until they crest the hill, by then they're going so fast that it was impossible to back out for either of them. Once you crest the hill you have about 30 meters until you have to slam on the brakes, assume you have a .5 reaction time, the only person that could have avoided this was Stroll by going off track. Neither driver could brake and stay on track through the corner at the speed they were going.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 18:34
If no one gets a penalty, it means you can punt someone off at turn 1. Something needs to be done to stop this idiotic behaviour.

Max was angry his lap was about to be ruined, so he tried to ruin Strolls too by passing. Max was on completely the wrong line yet still tried to carry the same corner speed. He did a 1990 Senna.
I think Verstappen was wrong what he did after Stroll overtook him but at crash it is pure stroll fault. He knew that verstappen is racing with him, it is not a true act from verstappen but this not give right to Stroll to drive into corner as if he is not there.
Stroll was the one who would participate race infected if he were not diarhora. His bos was talking that Stroll was not know Verstappen was there which is impossible, simply lie just like the lie they said about building this car. Verstappen's act is unprofessional but I didn't care what happened to RP.

El Scorchio

I have a feeling both will get a penalty, but ultimately as long as both or neither get one then fine. They are both at fault to various extents so both deserve the same outcome. I'd probably penalise them both so they actually have something to think about and learn from. No one was hurt this time but they need to realise this dumb stuff can't happen. It's only a practice session.

I think more importantly they shake hands with each other and both admit they were silly and agree to move on and say no more of it.

Racer X

RZS10 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 16:56
Terrible how long it takes to remove Gasly's car ... looking forward to 15 minute SC periods or red flags as soon as there's a stranded car during the race ...
The only positive I can see from this is the learning experience gained from this. Hopefully some brainstorming happens today. So that race day can be a bit quicker.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

El Scorchio

Racer X wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 19:02
RZS10 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 16:56
Terrible how long it takes to remove Gasly's car ... looking forward to 15 minute SC periods or red flags as soon as there's a stranded car during the race ...
The only positive I can see from this is the learning experience gained from this. Hopefully some brainstorming happens today. So that race day can be a bit quicker.
Especially as it was on fire. Marshals running 300 yards and across the track with fire extinguishers..... #-o

Racer X

El Scorchio wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 19:06
Especially as it was on fire. Marshals running 300 yards and across the track with fire extinguishers..... #-o

Maybe the FIA can spare some Euros and buy Portimao some quad bikes to carry the Marshalls along with their fire extinguishers... Would be ashamed to see a driver in the same situation stuck out there. In this day and age to witness what happened to Niki Lauda....
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

mkay
mkay

El Scorchio wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 18:53
I have a feeling both will get a penalty, but ultimately as long as both or neither get one then fine. They are both at fault to various extents so both deserve the same outcome. I'd probably penalise them both so they actually have something to think about and learn from. No one was hurt this time but they need to realise this dumb stuff can't happen. It's only a practice session.

I think more importantly they shake hands with each other and both admit they were silly and agree to move on and say no more of it.
Stewards have ruled. No further action. Sounds like they read your post...

Sieper

Racer X wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 19:12
El Scorchio wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 19:06

Maybe the FIA can spare some Euros and buy Portimao some quad bikes to carry the Marshalls along with their fire extinguishers... Would be ashamed to see a driver in the same situation stuck out there. In this day and age to witness what happened to Niki Lauda....
The track and the buildings look fantastic, I find it a very beautiful place but it indeed seems not totally equipped on formula racing. Which is not strange of course, but still. Many gravel traps. Expect this to have a big influence saturday and Sunday.

El Scorchio

mkay wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 19:16
El Scorchio wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 18:53

Stewards have ruled. No further action. Sounds like they read your post...
Haha! Well that would be nice. Probably common sense has ruled.

Until within the next race or so an identical thing happens with other drivers and they both get penalised!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Juzh wrote:
dans79 wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:17
Juzh wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 17:13
Stroll knew very well verstappen was there since he selfishly overtook him into final corner when both were on a warmup lap, he also overtook albon like he was the only one on track.
Blame on stroll 100%. Glad he got what he deserved.
Stroll was on a hot lap and Max let him by. Stroll was going to go for a second consecutive one. Are you even watching the broadcast?
What actually happened is this: Stroll was on a fast warmup lap, not an actual hot-lap (laptime 1:21.7 - too slow for a proper flying lap). This fooled verstappen's enginner who told verstappen stroll is on a flying lap. Verstappen then probably fully expected stroll to lift after the start/finish line, but in reality stroll was just starting his true flying lap.
Stroll still didn't think of lifting at all despite having a car halfway alongside him. So still majority of blame is on him. He knew full well verstappen was about to start his lap.
Let me see if I understand your point of view... The RBR engineer makes a mistake and thinks Stroll is on a flying lap when he actually is on a fast warm up lap... Max let’s Stroll by... Stroll starts his flying lap (as he is entitled to)... Max also goes for his flying lap... Max does not overtakes Stroll or is ahead before the corner... Stroll is ahead at T1 and turns into the racing line on his flying lap as his entitled to.

But somehow Stroll should have let Max go by? If Max wasn’t in a position to complete the overtake (he wasn’t ahead), wasn’t on the optimum racing line (for a flying lap)... Why Max simply didn’t backed of? He is the one that should have yield, not Stroll.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk