2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
e30ernest
e30ernest

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

I remember back in the 70's and 80's drivers barely making it out of their car after a race from exhaustion wasn't that uncommon. I think Lewis is fine. But if I were Max, I'd capitalize on that by really piling on the pressure when he can so that Lewis will have to work extra hard on positions.

peewon

dans79 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 01:58
Kingshark wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 01:49
dans79 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 01:43

If you really believe that, then you don't know anything about Alonso!
Question the guy who translated his Spanish post-race interview on Reddit.

Alonso commented that Hamilton kept making mistakes in the final sector.
That's not what I'm talking about. I don't think Alonso has missed a single opportunity to promote himself ever.
This is literally the opposite though. Saying your opponent made mistakes and it wasn't anything you did or could do to keep him behind is the opposite of self promotion.

hollus

Alonso was behind Sainz and looking ready to pass him. Then he battled Hamilton. Then Alonso was behind Sainz again. So we’ll never know what his pace truly was.
Rivals, not enemies.

ringo

ispano6 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 03:09
214270 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 01:54
Wow, just wow. Ham is getting good at the front left to rear right tactic isn't he.
look on his steering. he turning away and alonso is turning in.. this pic is only proving Hamilton's point.
For Sure!!

ringo

ispano6 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 03:14
Manoah2u wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 23:32
Also, an entire different discussion could be this:

Lewis OBVIOUSLY was heavily fatigued after the race and was in a bad situation. There's no denying that. I even feared for a moment that he was going to faint right there on the podium, he was definately not doing well. In other races, at the end of the race especially, or in other moments, you could hear - the TV commentators also mentioned this more than once - that Hamilton was breathing more difficult and clearly far, far more fatigued than usual.

If this indeed is due to his Covid contraption last year, then let's face the truth here: Lewis is driving 2021 with a handicap.
If that really is the case, then just how much of a handicap is there?

And that automatically, and most certainly means, that the cold hard truth is that Max is 'beating' - and now losing - to a handicapped, fatigued driver.
A young gun on top of his game in the fullest of his health only manages to come close - and still lose to a 'old' driver that is suffering from perhaps lung problems.
Yes, he is obviously fit to race, so good enough. But the fact would remain then still: Lewis might just barely be fit enough to race, whereas Max is in super health.

This would make an unfair fight and really, would mean Max results are laughable, and Hamilton actually is far, far more impressive to be able to beat Max despite this handicap,
and as such, this would mean RBR isn't really that close to Merc -atleast Lewis' Merc - : they're closer to a handicapped driver.
Maybe Lewis should take a break then, an unfit driver is putting other drivers, including himself at risk. What if he passes out during a high speed corner and crashes into a marshals post? What if his fatigue makes him have judgment errors. Seems he wants sympathy or special considerations. Other drivers have had covid too.
You are comparing a 36 year old with 21 year olds with Covid-19 lung damage?
Then you say the person is looking for sympathy. How low can you go?
For Sure!!

Kingshark
Kingshark

ringo wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 07:14
Do you think that Lewis should take time out for his own safety and those around him? If he feels unfit to race, should he even be allowed to race?

ispano6

ringo wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 07:14
ispano6 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 03:14
Manoah2u wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 23:32
Also, an entire different discussion could be this:

Lewis OBVIOUSLY was heavily fatigued after the race and was in a bad situation. There's no denying that. I even feared for a moment that he was going to faint right there on the podium, he was definately not doing well. In other races, at the end of the race especially, or in other moments, you could hear - the TV commentators also mentioned this more than once - that Hamilton was breathing more difficult and clearly far, far more fatigued than usual.

If this indeed is due to his Covid contraption last year, then let's face the truth here: Lewis is driving 2021 with a handicap.
If that really is the case, then just how much of a handicap is there?

And that automatically, and most certainly means, that the cold hard truth is that Max is 'beating' - and now losing - to a handicapped, fatigued driver.
A young gun on top of his game in the fullest of his health only manages to come close - and still lose to a 'old' driver that is suffering from perhaps lung problems.
Yes, he is obviously fit to race, so good enough. But the fact would remain then still: Lewis might just barely be fit enough to race, whereas Max is in super health.

This would make an unfair fight and really, would mean Max results are laughable, and Hamilton actually is far, far more impressive to be able to beat Max despite this handicap,
and as such, this would mean RBR isn't really that close to Merc -atleast Lewis' Merc - : they're closer to a handicapped driver.
Maybe Lewis should take a break then, an unfit driver is putting other drivers, including himself at risk. What if he passes out during a high speed corner and crashes into a marshals post? What if his fatigue makes him have judgment errors. Seems he wants sympathy or special considerations. Other drivers have had covid too.
Sergio Perez is 31 years old. And by the way, covid has killed 21 year olds all over the world and many 36 year olds have survived it. I wasn't comparing anyone's lungs and my comment has nothing to do with age, so I don't know what nonsense you're talking about. I'm talking about a driver who is unfit to race and putting other drivers at risk if he loses consciousness due to his condition (on lap 27, he wasn't sure if he was on lap43 or had 43 laps left)... He makes it a point to say he thinks he has long covid. So? Are we supposed to feel sorry for him? Go for it.
Last edited by ispano6 on 03 Aug 2021, 08:09, edited 2 times in total.

ispano6

ringo wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 07:09
look on his steering. he turning away and alonso is turning in.. this pic is only proving Hamilton's point.
No one is forcing Hamilton to be there, he is putting himself into that situation.

Andres125sx

dans79 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 22:28
Jolle wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 22:24
dans79 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 22:21

Where are you getting your numbers from, the official document shows 12.282 seconds.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... cation.pdf
Uhm... accounting to that report you shared, he was 12.9 seconds in front of Alonso at the line
Forgot to do the math, but that's still not 15 seconds. Not to mention it probably doesn't account for the fact that both Sainz and Alonzo backed off.
Maye that´s the reason I said this :roll:
Lewis passed Alonso with 5 laps to go, and at the end he was 13 seconds ahead so maybe not 3 full seconds, but pretty close. He lost some time passing Sainz too so if it was just 2 seconds (less than a lap behind Carlos) then it would be exactly 3 full seconds per lap faster

Andres125sx

dans79 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 01:43
Kingshark wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 01:32
“Hamilton was at least 2.5s faster, he just kept making the same mistakes and I took advantage of it" - Alonso on Spanish TV after the race.
If you really believe that, then you don't know anything about Alonso!
We don´t need to believe anything, the numbers are in few posts above this I quoted and they prove it was around 3 seconds faster both before and after the pass.

But some will always prefer their own fanboyism to real numbers, whatever to defend their favourite... #-o

Andres125sx

Kingshark wrote:
ringo wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 01:00
I think it makes sense Kingshark and friends let us know what the lap times were for lewis and Alonso when Hamilton was approaching and not after he overtook. After the fact is not accurate enough.
On the end of lap 48, Lewis Hamilton was 15.8 seconds behind Fernando Alonso. By the middle sector of lap 54, he was within a second.

That is a gain of 15 seconds within approximately five and a half laps, or 2.73 seconds per lap.

After Hamilton overtook Alonso, he pulled 13 seconds in 5 laps. That is 2.60 seconds per lap. This is despite Hamilton wasting time overtaking and then defending from Sainz.

How on earth it took Hamilton 11 laps to overtake Alonso, I will never know, but Alonso does know:

“Hamilton was at least 2.5s faster, he just kept making the same mistakes and I took advantage of it" - Alonso on Spanish TV after the race.
This.

ringo

ispano6 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 07:57
ringo wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 07:09
No one is forcing Hamilton to be there, he is putting himself into that situation.

I am pointing at your comment that someone suffering from the after effects of a serious illness is "looking for sympathy". That's a very callous comment. Hamilton is managing his current condition. But you are implying that he is faking it to look for sympathy? really?
I think the quality of posters here has really degraded. This is a real life person competing at a very high level; who fortunately has recovered from a serious illness and has determined to make the best of his situation without even sharing his challenges with the public until confronted about it by the media.
Then someone is going to say he is faking it for sympathy from a booing crowd. lol

Yet max has a little visit to the medic, and his team fake that he is in the hospital; yet that is fine with you. Where is the humane decency?
For Sure!!

ringo

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 08:09
Kingshark wrote:
ringo wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 01:00
I think it makes sense Kingshark and friends let us know what the lap times were for lewis and Alonso when Hamilton was approaching and not after he overtook. After the fact is not accurate enough.
On the end of lap 48, Lewis Hamilton was 15.8 seconds behind Fernando Alonso. By the middle sector of lap 54, he was within a second.

That is a gain of 15 seconds within approximately five and a half laps, or 2.73 seconds per lap.

After Hamilton overtook Alonso, he pulled 13 seconds in 5 laps. That is 2.60 seconds per lap. This is despite Hamilton wasting time overtaking and then defending from Sainz.

How on earth it took Hamilton 11 laps to overtake Alonso, I will never know, but Alonso does know:

This.
How is this equal to 3 seconds a lap faster?
Also what are the 3 laps before he was racing Alonso and what are the lap times of both?

Second how much of a time difference is required to overtake at this track.. And why is that the Williams and Haas were so dificult to overtake by the others?
I'm guessing the narative is to say that Hamilton is an error prone driver who doesnt know how to overtake? Okay then.
For Sure!!

Shrieker

Kingshark wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 00:57
Spain was a perfectly legitimate move.
Hamilton jumped out of the way and prevented both cars from being totalled there. You've cut your connection with reality, but honestly, not something I haven't seen before.
Kingshark wrote:
On the current grid, Alonso and Verstappen are truly a level above anyone else at racing wheel to wheel.
Sure. Whatever floats your boat. If Max goes the way he does, then he'll just ensure Hamilton wins this year. Look how they manage the risks. It's completely non-existent on Ver's side. He'd rather have contact with an effin Haas and risk damage or crashing, than move another half a meter wide :lol:

Yeah, that kind driving mentality will win him the title. How you can claim he is the best at wheel to wheel by a wide margin right after that, is beyond logic.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Mogster

Shrieker wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 09:04
Kingshark wrote:
Spain was a perfectly legitimate move.
Hamilton jumped out of the way and prevented both cars from being totalled there. You've cut your connection with reality, but honestly, not something I haven't seen before.
Kingshark wrote:
On the current grid, Alonso and Verstappen are truly a level above anyone else at racing wheel to wheel.
Sure. Whatever floats your boat. If Max goes the way he does, then he'll just ensure Hamilton wins this year. Look how they manage the risks. It's completely non-existent on Ver's side. He'd rather have contact with an effin Haas and risk damage or crashing, than move another half a meter wide :lol:

Yeah, that kind driving mentality will win him the title. How you can claim he is the best at wheel to wheel by a wide margin right after that, is beyond logic.
Exactly.