2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
vas_04614
vas_04614

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

So as per THE RACE podcast, AMR struggles if circuit has wide range of corners that is high speed and low speed ones needing car car ride to be set up not very low (for DF) and also not very high. They can't get that good compromise optimum setup to work in high speed and low speed.

For me this tells me canada upgrade (which dan fallows said is get car working in all types of circuits) is yet to work as expected.

Hopefully If they can improve on that set up this week and also the new strong front tyres this week as suggested in some articles work in improving the front grip might help them in doing better relative to Austria

ali623
ali623

vas_04614 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 09:14
So as per THE RACE podcast, AMR struggles if circuit has wide range of corners that is high speed and low speed ones needing car car ride to be set up not very low (for DF) and also not very high. They can't get that good compromise optimum setup to work in high speed and low speed.

For me this tells me canada upgrade (which dan fallows said is get car working in all types of circuits) is yet to work as expected.

Hopefully If they can improve on that set up this week and also the new strong front tyres this week as suggested in some articles work in improving the front grip might help them in doing better relative to Austria
They've had very little FP time since the upgrade, basically just two FP sessions between Canada and Austria so far. Assuming this Friday is dry, it should give them some time to experiment in Silverstone and hopefully find a more optimal setup.

DGP123
DGP123

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 13:00
DGP123 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 16:42
I said AMR would stagnate over the season, and wouldn’t be able to improve the initial concept.

I do wonder how long Alonso hangs around for. The honeymoon is over now.
Good post...
Thank you. Seems that since this was posted, a few now tending to agree, that AMR are now starting to go backwards and a tough period of races is coming up.

Dan Fallows bought the initial concept and ideas from RB, but now he can’t call upon Newey, his upgrade doesn’t seem to have bought any performance. No surprise really. I sense over the next few weeks and months, Alonso will start to express his frustrations more publicly. Watch this space.

As I said, the honeymoon is over.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 03:20
Those halo bits tested in Spain haven't appeared again. Was it that they didn't work as hoped? The million dollar question of the halo bits enigma...
Maybe it's a next year part?

PinkFloydPulse

DGP123 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 12:29
Andres125sx wrote:
DGP123 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 16:42
I said AMR would stagnate over the season, and wouldn’t be able to improve the initial concept.

I do wonder how long Alonso hangs around for. The honeymoon is over now.
Good post...
Thank you. Seems that since this was posted, a few now tending to agree, that AMR are now starting to go backwards and a tough period of races is coming up.

Dan Fallows bought the initial concept and ideas from RB, but now he can’t call upon Newey, his upgrade doesn’t seem to have bought any performance. No surprise really. I sense over the next few weeks and months, Alonso will start to express his frustrations more publicly. Watch this space.

Two practice sessions since upgrade… two…
Team Fernando!

peewon

diffuser wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 20:46
peewon wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 15:24
diffuser wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 10:26
I Agree Miami was an error. Monaco, I disagree. If it had stopped raining, people would have said, "Oh what a great strategy". Strategy isn't checking the weather forcast.
If it stopped raining, they would've finished exactly where they did anyway because they already had a pit stop gap to Ocon. Which is why it was an obvious call. Strategy is evaluating the risk reward matrix in real time and making optimal decisions. Here they were presented with no risk and highest reward possible scenario and they botched it. Even if there was a scenario where they could've lost 2nd place to gamble for a race win, I would go for it. For a guy like Fernando, he may not get that opportunity ever again. There's only maybe 1 or 2 races a season which has a fluke winner.
So Max pitted on the next lap and narrowly escaped disaster. If someone was closer to him on inters or the collision with the wall harder it could have caused damage and he could have been done for. So we both agree, the timing was right with the pit stop. Although, by the time Max pitted, it was obviously inters weather.

Now as far as the tire choice, the conversation between the engineer and Alonso the deciding factor was their weather forcast saying it was gonna stop raining. Why would put on inters if you know it's gonna stop raining?

We know weather forecasts and we know they never say black or white. They always deal in ranges of Grey(ie 45%, 50%, 55% etc chance of rain). I think you're getting caught up on a flip of coin decision
To that I would say, weather predictions are never a sure thing. It had already rained enough that the track would be semi wet for at least a few laps even it stopped immediately. You would easily be faster over any slick tyre runners for the next 5-6 laps, if not more. Other teams 25 seconds behind Aston, switched to inters. So either AM has inferior weather data or other teams looked at the ground reality in front of them and made more prudent decisions.

But again, I go back to the risk-reward thing. Their only shot at victory was switching to inters and hoping it continues to rain. I would take decision to go for a win if Im AM and Alonso. They've won a few podiums already. Even if they lost a couple of places it wouldn't matter that much. But winning Monaco wouldve been special for AM and Alonso. They may not get more opportunities like that.

diffuser

selvam_e2002 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 06:51
New Tyre from Silverstone-UK. will help AMR? or it is going to to disaster.

Also who is going to get benefit with new tyre?

If RB slow they may cry. They already crying for 2026 engine rule.
Wow from help to disaster...big gap there.

It's gonna help teams with weaker front ends on front limited tracks. So it would have helped AMR @ Barcelona. Problem is you never know what setup compromises teams are making.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 15:27
diffuser wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 20:46
peewon wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 15:24

If it stopped raining, they would've finished exactly where they did anyway because they already had a pit stop gap to Ocon. Which is why it was an obvious call. Strategy is evaluating the risk reward matrix in real time and making optimal decisions. Here they were presented with no risk and highest reward possible scenario and they botched it. Even if there was a scenario where they could've lost 2nd place to gamble for a race win, I would go for it. For a guy like Fernando, he may not get that opportunity ever again. There's only maybe 1 or 2 races a season which has a fluke winner.
So Max pitted on the next lap and narrowly escaped disaster. If someone was closer to him on inters or the collision with the wall harder it could have caused damage and he could have been done for. So we both agree, the timing was right with the pit stop. Although, by the time Max pitted, it was obviously inters weather.

Now as far as the tire choice, the conversation between the engineer and Alonso the deciding factor was their weather forcast saying it was gonna stop raining. Why would put on inters if you know it's gonna stop raining?

We know weather forecasts and we know they never say black or white. They always deal in ranges of Grey(ie 45%, 50%, 55% etc chance of rain). I think you're getting caught up on a flip of coin decision
To that I would say, weather predictions are never a sure thing. It had already rained enough that the track would be semi wet for at least a few laps even it stopped immediately. You would easily be faster over any slick tyre runners for the next 5-6 laps, if not more. Other teams 25 seconds behind Aston, switched to inters. So either AM has inferior weather data or other teams looked at the ground reality in front of them and made more prudent decisions.

But again, I go back to the risk-reward thing. Their only shot at victory was switching to inters and hoping it continues to rain. I would take decision to go for a win if Im AM and Alonso. They've won a few podiums already. Even if they lost a couple of places it wouldn't matter that much. But winning Monaco wouldve been special for AM and Alonso. They may not get more opportunities like that.
From the Car radio conversations, they weren't looking at beating Max. They were strategising to keep 2nd.

KimiRai
KimiRai

DGP123 wrote:
I sense over the next few weeks and months, Alonso will start to express his frustrations more publicly. Watch this space.

If with frustrations you mean telling the team where they made a mistake, obviously he will because he wants the team to improve. Lewis complained on the radio that the car was so bad it didn't turn. No one will call him toxic for that though.
Last edited by KimiRai on 04 Jul 2023, 16:11, edited 2 times in total.

diffuser

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 15:10
DGP123 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Good post...

Two practice sessions since upgrade… two…
Don't bite on this guy. They could win the next 3 races and have a bad 4th race and he'd come back with this.

Zynerji

diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 15:58
selvam_e2002 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 06:51
New Tyre from Silverstone-UK. will help AMR? or it is going to to disaster.

Also who is going to get benefit with new tyre?

If RB slow they may cry. They already crying for 2026 engine rule.
Wow from help to disaster...big gap there.

It's gonna help teams with weaker front ends on front limited tracks. So it would have helped AMR @ Barcelona. Problem is you never know what setup compromises teams are making.
I always feel that even the worst car has a .5-1s worth of setup tweaks in them.

The quali=race setup kind of makes this kind of setup compromise a Kindergarten class in College, IMHO.

The winner is effectively determined before Q1 when Parc Ferme comes into effect. I'm not a huge fan.

KimiRai
KimiRai

After not knowing how to develop the car because "Fallows is a fraud" and all the strategic mistakes that are very easy to not make sitting on the sofa, they're still 3 points behind P2 in constructors while still having less people and less infrastructure than RedBull, Ferrari and Mercedes. It's all over then, pack it up boys, someone told the team they aren't doing a good enough job...
Last edited by KimiRai on 04 Jul 2023, 16:22, edited 2 times in total.

diffuser

vas_04614 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 09:14

Based on this Image image of Norris's fastest lap vs Alonso in the shootout. Their problem is still top speed.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I think they’ll be in for some pain in Silverstone.
A lion must kill its prey.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 16:18
I think they’ll be in for some pain in Silverstone.
Maybe.

When I look at the numbers more closely. Alonso is braking harder and later than Norris all the time. Norris tends to brake earlier, set himself up for the corner, carry more speed in and out of the corners. This is giving Norris an speed edge coming out of the corners that he is able to maintain down the straights. It appears that Alonso has more confidence than Norris with their cars under braking but that confidence is costing Alonso time.