2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
j.yank
j.yank

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

ZakB wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 16:47

Sorry, but how can people still can say Honda will come good? Just look at the MGU-K, that problem still isn't fixed.
Probably you don't make difference between MGU-H and MGU-K. If I remember this was first MGU-K failure this season.

HPD

I think it will be better to be with Toro Rosso in 2018 and Red Bull in 2019.
Honda has more chances to win champion with Red Bull

Honda (second or third best engine) + Mclaren (fourth best chassis) = No victories.

Honda (second or third best engine) + Red Bull (the best chassis) = Victories.

FrukostScones

If AMUS rumors is right McLaren will file divorce tomorrow.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Sayeman

See it's all not that bad. "Kvyat says McLaren's pace at Monza alarming" ..
"Even McLaren was faster than us today, to be honest," said Kvyat, whose team is still 29 points ahead of McLaren in the standings. "I think they were looking very strong.

"I think they were focusing more on the corners with their set-up so I was able to stay closer and it was much harder for him [Vandoorne] to stay with the tow with me, but at the Parabolica they were so close he was able to stay close and I had to close the line every lap.

"It wasn't easy. It's a bit alarming if McLaren can stay with us in this kind of track. There's a lot to do and we need to start working on developing the strong point of the car."
Never Give up.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

HPD wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 17:34

Honda (second or third best engine) + Mclaren (fourth best chassis) = No victories.

Interesting point. What makes you think McLaren will have the fourth best chassis in 2019 and Red Bull will have the best chassis?

RedNEO

FrukostScones wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 17:35
If AMUS rumors is right McLaren will file divorce tomorrow.
The dawn is coming

HPD

Dipesh1995 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 17:43
HPD wrote:

Interesting point. What makes you think McLaren will have the fourth best chassis in 2019 and Red Bull will have the best chassis?
It's just a personal opinion, not to offend other fans.
But Red Bull says they do not need the best engine, they just need a good engine and that Red Bull will be in charge of reducing the gap with the chassis gain.

While Mclaren says they need the best engine to win.

McL-H
McL-H

Sayeman wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 17:39
"Even McLaren was faster than us today, to be honest," said Kvyat, whose team is still 29 points ahead of McLaren in the standings. "I think they were looking very strong.

"I think they were focusing more on the corners with their set-up so I was able to stay closer and it was much harder for him [Vandoorne] to stay with the tow with me, but at the Parabolica they were so close he was able to stay close and I had to close the line every lap.

"It wasn't easy. It's a bit alarming if McLaren can stay with us in this kind of track. There's a lot to do and we need to start working on developing the strong point of the car."
Kvyat is right. Considering the nature of this track, performance was promising. And the good news is, there is much more to come from the engine (spec4 inbound?), and we're heading for circuits that should suit the package much better! Progress of Honda has been huge.

zack!
zack!

Mattchu wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 14:12
This whole thing has become such a mess that i`m now leaning [and i hate to say it] towards the side that hopes Mclaren divorces Honda and then the Honda engine comes good!
We have seen this weekend with the Renault engine how it is very difficult to make certain parts of these PU`s reliable (when they have to perfrom to such a high level). How many Renault PU parts are being replaced/failing this weekend?
Also i`m sure i read somewhere that Renault are going for a radicalish change in PU design for next year. What makes anyone certain that they aren`t going to go through exactly the same reliability problems that Honda seem to be going through. Why would having a Renauly engine suddenly make them podium contenders, you`d still probably have Merc and Ferrari above them, they would basically be battling Red-Bull, FI, Williams and potentially Renault themselves for best of the rest.
Also how would they be able to keep Alonso if as reported Honda pay most of his wages. They would also lose any extra money Honda put into the team and we all know the McLaren isn`t exactly overflowing with sponsor logos nowadays!
There is no magic bullet available (imo)...
Renault said 2018 PU upgrade will be more conservative compare to 2017, as global design is now frozen and supply chain relationship being put under control. Renault said performance of 2017 is puzzled with reliability (part of them due to new elements and mixability issue, to avoid penalities), and probably some SW control to be tuned due to some bad correlation with track operation. So, their is still some potential to release for 2017 PU, with better component mix and SW update, and another power boost is expected for 2018 version. This version is under heavy test on dyno for months at viry, because they want to master reliabilty, and the next version is also on test. I don't know if they will close completly the gap with merco and ferrari PU, but renault is improving , an defintely not in the same situationy as Honda.

etusch

HPD wrote:

I believe Honda will left McLaren as soon as they did good PU because of McLaren's attitude.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

HPD wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 17:47
Dipesh1995 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 17:43
HPD wrote:

It's just a personal opinion, not to offend other fans.
But Red Bull says they do not need the best engine, they just need a good engine and that Red Bull will be in charge of reducing the gap with the chassis gain.

While Mclaren says they need the best engine to win.
I don’t recall McLaren ever saying that, maybe my memory isn’t so great but imo, I think it’s very difficult to predict what’s going to happen even next year never mind two years down the line. Who could have predicted such an upturn in Ferrari’s form compared to last year? Most people were expecting it to be Mercedes vs Red Bull for the title and that hasn’t been the case.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

McL-H wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 17:49
Sayeman wrote:

Kvyat is right. Considering the nature of this track, performance was promising. And the good news is, there is much more to come from the engine (spec4 inbound?), and we're heading for circuits that should suit the package much better! Progress of Honda has been huge.
I think the key points are made in the second paragraph of Kyvat’s dialogue. McLaren have been making all the time up through the corners; certainly that’s what’s suggested from the speed traps of each sector looking at Alonso’s FP2 lap (https://twitter.com/RenaultSportF1/stat ... 7177375744). Honda have made progress of sorts, I wouldn’t say huge because they’re massively down on power and don’t have great reliability. Vandoorne couldn’t even pass Kvyat despite of being in DRS range with a tow and Kvyat only having a Renault PU.

NathanOlder

GoranF1 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:26
Mansell89 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:23
Honestly think McLaren becoming a Renault customer is about as embarrassing as it gets.

Small performance increase, huge reliability risk, no likelihood of race wins.

All I can think is that they're looking to pinch a podium or two for marketing reasons until the engine regs change in a couple of years.
Are you insane? Alonso and Riciardo started on the same place on the grid.
Renault much better engine and even better next year.
Honda? Probably another step back just like in early 2016 and 2017.
Red Bull are way in front of Mclaren indeed. But thats not all down to the PU. Mclaren won't beat red bull with equal engines.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mattchu

Lets have it right, McLaren haven`t been in winning positions for what, 5 years. No wins in 2013 and 2014 with Mercedes engines (one the v8 the other 1.6 turbo) and from what i can tell only 2 podiums! Sponsors were leaving the team in droves before Honda came along and they have been mediocre for quite some time. They may as well switch to Renault and cement their place running around in the midfield.
I used to love McLaren, it hurts seeing them like this as they are still close to my heart as a racing team (not a fan of the current management though), i personally think Honda should just say adios Formula 1 but that wont happen due to the powers that be not wanting to see a manufacturer leave!

Who`s going to pay Alonsos` wages if he stays with the team? or will he take a huge drop...
Last edited by Mattchu on 03 Sep 2017, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

ZakB
ZakB

McL-H wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 17:49
Sayeman wrote:

It's all chassis, just watch the interview with Zak Brown. Progress has been (too) little to have faith that it will work out fine in the future. They couldn't even overtake the STR, which is one of the draggiest cars on track.
NathanOlder wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 18:02
GoranF1 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:26
Mansell89 wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 15:23
Honestly think McLaren becoming a Renault customer is about as embarrassing as it gets.

Small performance increase, huge reliability risk, no likelihood of race wins.

All I can think is that they're looking to pinch a podium or two for marketing reasons until the engine regs change in a couple of years.
Are you insane? Alonso and Riciardo started on the same place on the grid.
Renault much better engine and even better next year.
Honda? Probably another step back just like in early 2016 and 2017.
Red Bull are way in front of Mclaren indeed. But thats not all down to the PU. Mclaren won't beat red bull with equal engines.
But you do expect that Honda will produce a better engine than Ferrari or Mercedes in the next three years, makes no sense at all. McLaren feels it can compete with Red Bull and their information is actually based on data, instead of guessing.