2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Manoah2u wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 03:11

It was especially revealing how fantastic and heavyweight fighter of a driver Alonso still is, looking at how swiftly Hamilton then got up to Sainz and 'easily' passed Sainz.
Sainz was saving fuel as early as 10 laps out and was on much older tires than any of the cars in the top 5. There was no way he was playing defense against Lewis at that point. I'm surprised he kept Alonso behind to be honest. The pace delta between he and Alonso was growing by the lap towards the end.

langedweil

ringo wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 05:09
Let me demonstrate.. Hamilton makes his own luck by pulling off key moves in the race that people fail to notice because they are busy moaning over things like rainbow T shirts.

Hamilton's overtake on Riciardo after the pits. Very critical move to stay ahead!

Then overtake on tsunoda.. and so on.

The driver has to make his own luck.
Wtf has that got to do with luck mate ?
That's mainly a car with huge overspeed and a driver that knows how to handle that car.

Luck is red flags so you can save your beeched car just in time, fix/cleanup and unlap yourself for free ..

Luck is red flags so you can fix your broken wheel before it explodes, right after you punted your competitor off the track ..

Luck is also getting just a 10sec penalty for that, in a car that's about 2s a lap faster than almost everyone in racetrim.

Luck is when your direct competitor has a 330kph tire blow out without any signs while being well within the predicted life span ..

Luck is when your teammate takes out the whole top 5 in the first corner, but only misses you by a fingernail ..
HuggaWugga !

ringo

langedweil wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 05:36
ringo wrote:
Let me demonstrate.. Hamilton makes his own luck by pulling off key moves in the race that people fail to notice because they are busy moaning over things like rainbow T shirts.

Hamilton's overtake on Riciardo after the pits. Very critical move to stay ahead!

Wtf has that got to do with luck mate ?
That's mainly a car with huge overspeed and a driver that knows how to handle that car.

Luck is red flags so you can save your beeched car just in time, fix/cleanup and unlap yourself for free ..

Luck is red flags so you can fix your broken wheel before it explodes, right after you punted your competitor off the track ..

Luck is also getting just a 10sec penalty for that, in a car that's about 2s a lap faster than almost everyone in racetrim.

Luck is when your direct competitor has a 330kph tire blow out without any signs while being well within the predicted life span ..

Luck is when your teammate takes out the whole top 5 in the first corner, but only misses you by a fingernail ..

Okay, then why hate on that? All Hamilton can do is take advantage of the luck given to him.
You should hate the driving gods and not the athlete. It's just a part of the game, Max's luck will come.. in 2023. :lol:

In fact.. Max's luck may come in the form of Hamilton's covid symptoms. He has been breathing hard for a number of races now. The long covid should put him at a disadvantage. Max and redbull need to capitalize on that. They have been racing a Hamilton that is a shadow of himself and yet they still cannot overcome him.
Last edited by ringo on 02 Aug 2021, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

ringo

godlameroso wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 05:25
ringo wrote:

Verstappen overtook Riccardo as well, that's how he got a point.
Yeah, when it was too late. He was pretty much stuck behind the Haas and Mclaren for too long.
For Sure!!

dans79

langedweil wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 04:06
Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:05
El Scorchio wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 17:04
Incredible CLEAN racing.
Lovely to see, isn't it? 8)
It can be done if the inside line behaves yeah ..
More like the person defending doesn't think he can bully everyone into submission!
201 105 104 9 9 7

e30ernest
e30ernest

ringo wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 06:05
In fact.. Max's luck may come in the form of Hamilton's covid symptoms. He has been breathing hard for a number of races now. The long covid should put him at a disadvantage. Max and redbull need to capitalize on that. They have been racing a Hamilton that is a shadow of himself and yet they still cannot overcome him.
Interesting point on Lewis' potential Long Covid symptoms. I noticed him being a bit out of breath for a few races now. Last night on the podium it really looked like he was going to topple over and faint (Ocon seemed to notice and check on him too). I think this might be a factor if we have hotter races again where he is also pushed to drive hard. It will be interesting how that plays out.

I hope Vettel keeps his P2. He really drove a good race.

Ocon drove an outstanding race, took the pressure from Vettel and won like a boss! Wonderful to see him win.

Alonso showing how good he still is. No matter what Hamilton said on the radio, Alonso was more than fair in his fight for that place, especially given how Alonso was also fighting to protect a potential win for his team. Really hoping Alonso gets another competitive car under him.

An unlucky race for Max this time. He was just a passenger here. Hopefully he can reset during the summer break and come back strong at Spa.

ringo

Mercedes need to have an oxygen tank in the car for lewis. If that's against the sporting code they can be at the ready with oxygen as he comes out the car.

Ocon's stock should increase for leading all race and holding off a faster car for the win. He made no mistakes and managed his tyres, ers, and pace perfectly.
Maybe Alonso will get his lucky moment to fight for a win soon enough.
For Sure!!

Titchener
Titchener

What an awesome season this is turning into for those of us that are genuine Formula 1 fans! Cracking race.

New F1 winnner, two multiple world champs wheel to wheel.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I guess the mods have been in bed. Hopefully today they can clean up the thread and have a chat with some of the people who have done nothing but insult others.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

basti313
basti313

godlameroso wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 05:25
ringo wrote:

Verstappen overtook Riccardo as well, that's how he got a point.
And on merit. Riccardo was a bit bad on the brakes once he moved to the defensive line, which allowed the pass. Quite similar to Alonso. Besides this Max had wheel banging down to a Haas.

If you look on the other side...the only one who did not show respect was Alonso. I mean Sainz was too slow, that was clear. Everyone else...fly by at McLaren and Williams is clear. But even Tsunoda left the door wide open on the outside and gifted the position like he had a blue flag in a corner where there is no overtaking.

I guess Marko will speak to Tsunoda about this...
Don`t russel the hamster!

nimoraca
nimoraca

If it was any other year I would've taken this race as being a great race, but not this year. Now we have a legitimate championship fight between two different teams so there is no need for this. It would have been more interesting to see Mercedes/RedBull battling it out at the front. On top of all this, both RedBull cars might need to use an additional engine and take penalties. As a Hamilton fan, I have to agree that he has had a lot o luck this year.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Diesel wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 00:48
Mchamilton wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 22:32
El Scorchio wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 22:27

Tough call to make from the lead though. All the cars round him had nothing to lose. I’m sure if he was sitting 6-7th he’d have done it. But it has been pointed out more than a few times that there was a strong chance if he did go in, everyone would have passed him in the pit lane anyway, due to the position of his pit box. It was a bit of a lose/lose situation for him.
He'd of been passed by all but maybe a couple of cars, hed of been sat in his box while every car came past, and hed have only past maybe 2 or 3 that were still in their boxes. Alonsos amazing defencive driving cost him the win as much as not boxing did.
I just watched a replay of the start, there was a large gap in the train that he would have slotted in to. Also, Ocon pitted from P2 and was able to regain that position (which became P1), so Hamilton would most likely had won if it hadn't been for that error. He has since said that he gave the team the info, and they didn't ask him to come in. Toto said it was the teams choice, and they didn't want to risk coming in from the front.
Ah yes i just watched the highlights and there is a large gap he would have rejoined in. Oh well, was a better race seeing him battle back from last, we wouldnt have gotten the alonso battle has he pitted so im glad in way, even as a Lewis fan.

devra
devra

Something I don't get about Vettel's issue... How the hell there can be only 0.3L of fuel remaining considering there's been some laps under safety car ?!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

devra wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 09:45
Something I don't get about Vettel's issue... How the hell there can be only 0.3L of fuel remaining considering there's been some laps under safety car ?!
The drivers use lift and coast to save fuel. As Vettel spent a lot of time attacking Ocon, maybe he just didn't do enough lifting and coasting.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

We've all been impressed by the battle between Alonso and Hamilton with some great defensive driving from the 2-time champion. It's worth remembering that he was helped by Kimi coming out of the pits at an early stage as Hamilton was about to overtake in to T1. Kimi was in the pit lane exit lane so effectively blocked the attempt. It was a few laps before Hamilton was able to get that close again and put the pressure on Alonso's worn tyres resulting in the slight lock up that allowed him through. This not taking away from Alonso, he drove brilliantly, but Ocon needs to thank Kimi's team for pitting him when they did. :lol: